Thread: Boston suspect read Miranda rights -- by the magistrate

Boston suspect read Miranda rights -- by the magistrate

don't know if he got them earlier: http://t.co/s3r7huB06h
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He always had the rights. Whether or not he was reminded about them is a whole nother thing. Am I correct in thinking that?

Not entirely sure. Probably he could stay silent, if he had the fortitude, in the face of whatever they did to get him to speak (not even talking torture, but power to withhold medical existed even if they didn't allude to it, other tricks exist), but if he asked for an attorney did they have to stop asking him questions until they brought one?

There may be times a public security exemption is justified... but Obama's executive order on this stretched it beyond the pale imho.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I'd hate to be the junky that jacked THAT drug box...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger29860 View Post
    He always had the rights. Whether or not he was reminded about them is a whole nother thing. Am I correct in thinking that?
    Yes. You are correct. But I've seen such a comment about 1,000 times on this forum, and people don't seem to be understanding Miranda rights. Miranda rights don't grant rights. They simply inform the accused of their rights.

Libertarians are correct in that these rights exist before they're read. But we seem to be nit-picking here.

Let's face it, most people don't know their rights. They SHOULD, but they don't. There's no harm whatsoever in a gov't official informing someone of their rights before proceedings begin. I would much rather prefer that to a proceeding which goes ahead without the accused having any knowledge of his/her rights.

However, if you are arguing from the standpoint that government is foolish to think that somehow 'not reading' those rights will deny them, then philosophically, you'll get no argument from me. Lots of hot-heads in Neocon media today seem to be arguing whether or not he should get the rights, which is moot since they already exist. (maybe that's what you meant)

But there is no problem with reading Miranda rights to someone. That's splitting hairs. It's not a granting of rights, only a reaffirmation. Just as the Bill of Rights doesn't grant rights, it only reaffirms them.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-22-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Very good points!

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Yes. You are correct. But I've seen such a comment about 1,000 times on this forum, and people don't seem to be understanding Miranda rights. Miranda rights don't grant rights. They simply inform the accused of their rights.

Libertarians are correct in that these rights exist before they're read. But we seem to be nit-picking here.

Let's face it, most people don't know their rights. They SHOULD, but they don't. There's no harm whatsoever in a gov't official informing someone of their rights before proceedings begin. I would much rather prefer that to a proceeding which goes ahead without the accused having any knowledge of his/her rights.

However, if you are arguing from the standpoint that government is foolish to think that somehow 'not reading' those rights will deny them, then philosophically, you'll get no argument from me. Lots of hot-heads in Neocon media today seem to be arguing whether or not he should get the rights, which is moot since they already exist. (maybe that's what you meant)

But there is no problem with reading Miranda rights to someone. That's splitting hairs. It's not a granting of rights, only a reaffirmation. Just as the Bill of Rights doesn't grant rights, it only reaffirms them.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

But after NDAA, would he know he had them?

rights are a funny thing when you have every reason to believe you'll be tortured if you exercise them.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How much of what he said or didn't say could actually been used against him? Everything he said in the hospital should be thrown out. He was heavily drugged.

Not that I am defending him. Just saying they should not be able to drug anyone than use what they say while drugged against them.

The only real difference now is that whatever statement he give will most definitely be used against him, whereas before, it couldn't not be inadmissible (meaning it would get further in a challenge by the defense, but probably would still be admissible).

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    How much of what he said or didn't say could actually been used against him? Everything he said in the hospital should be thrown out. He was heavily drugged.

Not that I am defending him. Just saying they should not be able to drug anyone than use what they say while drugged against them.
    That could be challenged, but it would depend on the nature of the statement, may or may not be admissible.
    Last edited by CPUd; 04-22-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post

deja vu

... Jackson was given 50 milligrams of demerol and 1/50 of a grain of scopolamine at 3:55 a. m. Immediately thereafter an Assistant District Attorney, in the presence of police officers and hospital personnel, questioned Jackson, the interrogation being recorded by a stenographer. Jackson, who has been shot in the liver and lung, had by this time lost about 500 cc. of blood. Jackson again admitted the robbery in the hotel, and then said, "Look, I can't go on." But in response to further questions he admitted shooting the policeman and having fired the first shot. The interview was completed at 4 a. m. An operation upon petitioner was begun at 5 a. m. and completed at 8 a. m. ...
    -- Jackson v. Denno, 378 US 368 - Supreme Court 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger29860 View Post
    Yes. I was a bit of a troubled youth and was arrested several times for petty crimes. Never once was I read my miranda rights. I think that's only something that happens on TV.

I can't remember how but I think a Supreme Court ruling limits the governments use of information before and after the rights are read.

I too am with the reaffirmation aspect. And as a reminder.

I'm sort of thinking we didn't have Miranda Rights when I was a kid.

P.S.1966

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_warning

Ahhh. Here it is.

Thus, if law enforcement officials decline to offer a Miranda warning to an individual in their custody, they may interrogate that person and act upon the knowledge gained, but may not use that person's statements to incriminate him or her in a criminal trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_warning

Ahhh. Here it is.

Thus, if law enforcement officials decline to offer a Miranda warning to an individual in their custody, they may interrogate that person and act upon the knowledge gained, but may not use that person's statements to incriminate him or her in a criminal trial.
    Wikipedia's wrong there. The statements may be used for incrimination at trial under Quarles v New York.
    Last edited by better-dead-than-fed; 04-22-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Yes. I was a bit of a troubled youth and was arrested several times for petty crimes. Never once was I read my miranda rights. I think that's only something that happens on TV.
    but most cases don't get to trial but are solved through plea bargain. If it got to trial and the case turned on what you said (not witnesses or whatever) it could have been brought out in court.