Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, working out with friend, called Boston Bombs "crazy" and "tragedies"

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, working out with friend, called Boston Bombs "crazy" and "tragedies"

Back at college, suspect called Boston bombs "crazy": classmate

Reuters
    Apr 21, 2013

Working out at the gym at their sleepy New England college, two students chatted about how "crazy" it was that bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon. Three days later, one of them was named a prime suspect.

Returning to campus on Sunday after being evacuated on Friday during a massive manhunt for the bombers, students at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth swapped recollections of seeing Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, back in the dorm, at class and in the gym in the aftermath of the bombings.

Tsarnaev was working out in the gym from 8 to 10 p.m. on Tuesday, listening to music on his iPod, when he struck up a conversation with fellow sophomore Zach Bettencourt.

"It's crazy this is happening now," Bettencourt recalled Tsarnaev telling him when the bombings came up. "This (these bombings) is so easy to do. These tragedies happen all the time in Afghanistan and Iraq."

The pictures flashed onto a television screen being watched by a group of students at Tsarnaev's dorm, Pine Dale Hall, and they were stunned to realize one of the suspects might be Tsarnaev.

"We all thought it looked like him," said Bettencourt, 20, of Gloucester, Massachusetts. "We didn't believe it was him."

SOURCE:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93K0FV20130422
    Last edited by FrankRep; 04-22-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can't believe Bob Dylan was behind all this.

WTF? So the brothers pull of the bombing, get clean away, one is working out with friends, cover is totally in tact, and they then decide to set off another attack in the same area when they know the place has to be crawling with feds? This all makes no sense.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    WTF? So the brothers pull of the bombing, get clean away, one is working out with friends, cover is totally in tact, and they then decide to set off another attack in the same area when they know the place has to be crawling with feds? This all makes no sense.
    In before someone comes along and says "We don't know what they were thinking, they probably thought they had gotten away with it"

I mean, Tamerlan might just be an idiot. With apologies to all Infowarriors, this is not a gov't conspiracy.
    Libertarian Republican trying to help break the one-party state in Massachusetts

Looking for new liberty candidates for 2014 and beyond

their cover was blown before the MIT attack
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by mz10 View Post
    With apologies to all Infowarriors, this is not a gov't conspiracy.
    The government had to know something. They were told.

Washington Post:

Russian FSB told the FBI that Tamerlan Tsarnaev was radical Islam follower in 2011
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...llower-in-2011
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post
    In before someone comes along and says "We don't know what they were thinking, they probably thought they had gotten away with it"
    If you think you've gotten away with something, you lay low and try to not draw attention to yourself. Carry out you next bombing after the heat dies down.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by mz10 View Post
    I mean, Tamerlan might just be an idiot. With apologies to all Infowarriors, this is not a gov't conspiracy.
    Conclusoray statement is conclusory.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    their cover was blown before the MIT attack
    And your evidence that they knew their cover was blown is...? There was certainly no mention of them in the media until after the MIT attack.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    The government had to know something. They were told.

Washington Post:

Russian FSB told the FBI that Tamerlan Tsarnaev was radical Islam follower in 2011
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...llower-in-2011
    I think that is why the CST was there. I think, at a minimum, the Feds had intelligence about a bombing at the Marathon, and they biffed it. Now of course one would think that, given that the Feds knew about Tsarnaev, and obviously his location, he would have been a prime one to put a tag on leading up to the Marathon. Did they biff it, or did they LIHOP/MIHOP? I don't think we can affirmatively say one way or the other at this point.

And your evidence that they knew their cover was blown is...? There was certainly no mention of them in the media until after the MIT attack.
    their pictures was circulating everywhere on the internet and every news station?
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    their pictures was circulating everywhere on the internet and every news station?
    Again, that happened after the MIT attack. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. If you have a link to a news story prior to the MIT attack that showed them being singled out as suspects then by all means post a link.

Again, that happened after the MIT attack. At least I'm pretty sure that's the case. If you have a link to a news story prior to the MIT attack that showed them being singled out as suspects then by all means post a link.
    Without sourcing it would seem that the photos were released Thursday afternoon though the suspects were not named at that time. The MIT attack came later that evening. According to this ABC timeline.

Police issued photographs of the two men Thursday, but their identities at the time were unknown. Late Thursday night, following a robbery and the ambush and alleged murder of MIT police officer Sean Collier, police pursued the men where they engaged in a firefight and threw grenades.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...d-in-shootout/

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Without sourcing it would seem that the photos were released Thursday afternoon though the suspects were not named at that time. The MIT attack came later that evening. According to this ABC timeline.
    Right, it's a little early for revisionist history. They had a press release in the afternoon where they showed the photos. The thought process is that they figured out the cops were onto them and panicked.

Again, I'm not drawing any conclusions one way or another, but let's make sure were assessing facts.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Are you serious? No mention in the media? The FBI flipping released their pictures, asking the public to help identify them. That's probably what prompted the MIT attack.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...d-in-shootout/
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Are you serious? No mention in the media? The FBI flipping released their pictures, asking the public to help identify them. That's probably what prompted the MIT attack.
    Yes I was being serious. I have not kept up with every single fact as it has come out. The way to know what's going on is to search for and/or provide sourced facts as opposed to snark.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    "Your honor, I request that the statement be stricken from the record, there is no proof, at this point, that these defendants were involved, it is purely conjecture at this point, this is leading the jury".
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

The post-event behavior of the younger brother is not at all consistent with that of a guilty party in a high-profile terror attack.

Yes I was being serious. I have not kept up with every single fact as it has come out. The way to know what's going on is to search for and/or provide sourced facts as opposed to snark.
    Correct, we need a timeline, with labels of conjecture or fact for each release of info. There were things said that were false, but even the false info is pertinent (such as why they shut down the courthouse after saying they had a "right wing radical"?), etc...

edit: Has anyone out there started a "wiki" on this? It allows a conversation backpage as well as editing. (I don't mean a Wikipedia page, but a separate wiki app.)
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 04-22-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

To be fair, they may have expected to get caught eventually and just didn't know when.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    To be fair, they may have expected to get caught eventually and just didn't know when.
    To be fair, that presupposes they are guilty.

The way I understood things they did not attempt another attack. They were intercepted after they jacked a car and dropped the owner off us at a 7/11, then they started to be pursued using the car's GPS, but it was only later when CCTV was reviewed and the car owner's statement taken, that it was realized who it was they were chasing. I assume they jacked the car after their pictures were plastered all over TV.

I heard it suggested that they were trying to set something up at MIT but I haven't seen any evidence of that.

I may have this all wrong, but that is the impression I got while it was all going on.

What I am saying is that actually their behavior was not out of the ordinary given the progress of events, except it is a bit strange that they went back to their routine and had this conversation with a friend, that is a bit strange, could be an attempt to blend back in and try to get away with it, but they must have known they would be identified. Unless, as has been suggested, they were waiting for their car to be fixed, but had to make a run for it when they saw their pictures.

Anyway, someone correct me if I am wrong, I think that this is how it seems anyway.
    For Liberty!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where did these two boys go to school? I thought I had read it was at the University of Massachusetts... if that is correct, then they went to school in Amherst, correct? Isn't that about 100 miles away?

If so, and they're reported at school after the bombings, then why the hell did they go back to Boston when they could have fled north after their faces were plastered everywhere.

Why would they carjack and rob a 7/11? That makes no sense.

I haven't followed this as it was breaking and now I'm confused.
    Last edited by DGambler; 04-22-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    “…I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents.”

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesTX View Post
    I can't believe Bob Dylan was behind all this.
    Dylan is part Russian...
    and if the kid wore shades
    he'd look more like the
    iconic 60s rocker than the
    "celebs" did who played
    him in that curious bio-flic!
    Dylan is Bobby Zimmerman
    under a poetical name change.
    his stage name avoids how
    Jewish his background is...

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Correct, we need a timeline, with labels of conjecture or fact for each release of info. There were things said that were false, but even the false info is pertinent (such as why they shut down the courthouse after saying they had a "right wing radical"?), etc...

edit: Has anyone out there started a "wiki" on this? It allows a conversation backpage as well as editing. (I don't mean a Wikipedia page, but a separate wiki app.)
    That's a great idea actually! This place used to have a wiki, but that part has now been converted to a subforum. I was thinking the other day of writing a new app that's somewhere between a wiki and a forum. The stuff coming out via Twitter and other feeds was dizzying. And then you had comments on top of comments on top of info. It would be nice to be able to collate stuff without slowing down the pace.

That was my recollection of the timeline.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Perhaps it would have been better for them to admit it at the gym? "Oh yeah- great work by the bombers! See- we are on TV!"

How else would one expect any body to respond- whether or not they were involved? "Awesome thing that was!"

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post
    Where did these two boys go to school? I thought I had read it was at the University of Massachusetts... if that is correct, then they went to school in Amherst, correct? Isn't that about 100 miles away?

If so, and they're reported at school after the bombings, then why the hell did they go back to Boston when they could have fled north after their faces were plastered everywhere.

Why would they carjack and rob a 7/11? That makes no sense.

I haven't followed this as it was breaking and now I'm confused.

I think I heard UMass Dartmouth. I google mapped it and it is 66 miles from MIT. Strange indeed.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast