Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 81.63%
  • No

3 6.12%
  • I am not sure at this time.

6 12.24%

Thread: Ron Paul Liberty Forest 2013 Consensus Poll: Will You Stand With Rand In 2016?

Ron Paul Liberty Forest 2013 Consensus Poll: Will You Stand With Rand In 2016?

If the Ron Paul Liberty Forest community will allow me, let us make this the official 2013 consensus poll thread of who, as of right now, plans to campaign for and vote for Rand Paul if he were to run for president in 2016. My vote is obviuos, as seen in my user name.
    Last edited by VoteRandPaul2016; 04-17-2013 at 11:08 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Absolutely. He may not be as ideologically pure as his father, but he is our best chance.

Yes, with reservations.

Rand Paul seems like the best option right now. Right now, I'd vote for him. That could change if he compromises too much. Right now I'm not necessarily thrilled with all of his stances but he's good on most issues and at least passable on the ones he isn't great on.

So, I'm watching, but right now I support him.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Essentially what the guy above me said, although I chose the third option because I don't know what might happen in three years. A better option might emerge, you never know.

Yes, although my support isn't unconditional. I mean if he voted to authorize military force against Iran or something like that, I wouldn't support him. But that doesn't seem likely to happen.

I will enthusiastically support Senator Rand Paul in the foreseeable future.

Absolutely, Rand will have my 110% enthusiastic support. Honestly, I may even do more for him then I did for Ron because I see him as being just as good but with a better chance of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Yes, although my support isn't unconditional. I mean if he voted to authorize military force against Iran or something like that, I wouldn't support him. But that doesn't seem likely to happen.
    He's walking on the edge of a cliff right now. I think he might be able to avoid faling, but I'm not confident.

Trying to unite big government Republicans and small government libertarians is an admirable but impossible goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Absolutely, Rand will have my 110% enthusiastic support. Honestly, I may even do more for him then I did for Ron because I see him as being just as good but with a better chance of winning.
    Sanctions?

Doesn't want to legalize marijuana? (Let alone everything else.)

17% income tax?

Keep foreign military bases?

That's all Rand.

Ron, by contrast, has never supported sanctions, wants to legalize all drugs, wants to withdraw from everywhere, and doesn't support any income tax.

Rand does very, very well when compared to typical Republicans and Democrats. He falls FLAT ON HIS FACE when compared to his dad.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just read my sig!
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

I've been skeptical of Rand in the past, but lately he's been saying things that could have come right out of his father's mouth vis-a-vis foreign policy, the drug war, civil liberties, etc. I think maybe those rumors about him being an "undercover libertarian" this whole time were not as unfounded as I originally believed. And even if he's not as pure as his dad, he knows libertarians got him elected and that his future success will depend on our continued support.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

I don't think that the 17% flat tax proposal is bad at all. When Ron introduced his budget proposal, he didn't include any cuts to marginal income tax rates. His budget simply extended the Bush tax cuts. You have to be realistic enough to realize that you can't just abolish the income tax when we have the size of government that we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Doesn't want to legalize marijuana? (Let alone everything else.)
    Yeah, I think that's his worst and dumbest stance. The last poll I saw showed that 60% of Republicans are opposed to a federal ban on marijuana, so it's not like that's a controversial position to take in a Republican Primary. It wouldn't hurt Rand at all if he introduced a bill to repeal the federal ban on marijuana.

Yeah, I think that's his worst and dumbest stance. The last poll I saw showed that 60% of Republicans are opposed to a federal ban on marijuana, so it's not like that's a controversial position to take in a Republican Primary. It wouldn't hurt Rand at all if he introduced a bill to repeal the federal ban on marijuana.
    Rand Paul hasn't explicitly said he supports the federal marijuana ban.

I don't think that the 17% flat tax proposal is bad at all. When Ron introduced his budget proposal, he didn't include any cuts to marginal income tax rates. His budget simply extended the Bush tax cuts. You have to be realistic enough to realize that you can't just abolish the income tax when we have the size of government that we have now.
    Firstly, I personally don't care, if you can't get the votes to outright abolish the programs, letting them crumble on their own is a next best.

My problem with the 17% tax though is that that's actually a significant INCREASE on some people's tax bill. The lowest rate is 10%. That's already more than the government ought to have access to, and does not take sales taxes and other taxes into account. Extending the Bush tax cuts at least doesn't actually increase anyone's taxes.

It really wouldn't. I don't remember Rand actually saying he wouldn't let a state legalize it, but his opposition to its legalization at that level is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    Rand Paul hasn't explicitly said he supports the federal marijuana ban.
    When he says something on Hannity like, "I'm not in favor of changing any of our current laws which ban drugs," that makes it sound like he's referring to federal laws. Also, he's never introduced a bill to repeal the federal ban on marijuana. He hasn't introduced or co-sponsored the bill that Amash has co-sponsored in the house, which prohibits the federal government from interfering in state laws that legalize marijuana.

My problem with the 17% tax though is that that's actually a significant INCREASE on some people's tax bill. The lowest rate is 10%. That's already more than the government ought to have access to, and does not take sales taxes and other taxes into account. Extending the Bush tax cuts at least doesn't actually increase anyone's taxes.
    I read that his bill exempts the first $50,000 of income from being taxed.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I read that his bill exempts the first $50,000 of income from being taxed.
    Really? My opinion on this would change much more if this was the case. Technically that wouldn't be a "Flat tax" but that doesn't really matter to me.

Personally, I'd go for a smaller exemption and a smaller rate, but I'd be happy enough with that if he really did exempt 50,000. Somehow I find that really hard to believe though.

Really? My opinion on this would change much more if this was the case. Technically that wouldn't be a "Flat tax" but that doesn't really matter to me.
    I'm not sure if the exemption is $50,000 per individual or $50,000 per family, but I think the $50,000 number is correct.

I'm not sure if the exemption is $50,000 per individual or $50,000 per family, but I think the $50,000 number is correct.
    It's definitely 50k and I would assume its per return, but if that is the case no married couple would file jointly if they both had income so that would need to be changed.

Ez answer is ez, I went all-in for Ron, same goes for Rand.

voted yes, the only one left i could vote for in the gop. If rand paul is not the nominee. I will be forced to look elsewhere.
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

Personally, I'd go for a smaller exemption and a smaller rate, but I'd be happy enough with that if he really did exempt 50,000.
    He's talked about it before.

Somehow I find that really hard to believe though.
    I'm not surprised.

Because this thread hasn't been done a dozen times before...

These threads are a subtle way to draw out the Rand critics and drive wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by speciallyblend View Post
    voted yes, the only one left i could vote for in the gop. If rand paul is not the nominee. I will be forced to look elsewhere.
    Yeah, I thought this was a no-duh. I mean, unless we get someone even better like Judge Nap. I think that's seriously unlikely though. If we don't get Rand we're going to get someone like Rubio at the very best. I wouldn't vote for Rubio.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    He's talked about it before.

I'm not surprised.
    I'm just can't imagine anywhere near that large an exemption actually passing. I'm surprised he endorsed something that (Good) radical.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Because this thread hasn't been done a dozen times before...

These threads are a subtle way to draw out the Rand critics and drive wedges.
    Isn't dialogue a good thing? I still like Rand overall.

I'll look it up to make sure.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.