Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Food (eating weeds)

Smile Free Food (eating weeds)

I had dandelion greens and fried dandelion flowers for supper. I also have dried mullein and spearmint that I make tea from sometimes. I'm trying to learn to identify other edible plants. Are there any wild plants that you like to eat?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There was a thread on nettles a while back. I don't think they are quite out yet though.
    "The Patriarch"

I was short on lunch money today and ate some raw dandelion tops. Pretty good actually. Beyond that there are wild onions, violents, plantains, sour oxalys (known as sourgrass), hickory nuts, acorns, blackberries, huckleberries, mulberries (my favorite), cattails, thistles, kudzu (you can eat the whole plant), poke salad, red clover, white clover, yellow clover, elderberries, wild strawberries, sassafrass (best tea on the planet), horsemint, and several varieties of mushrooms I know. (I know I'm forgetting something).
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Acorns? At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, I didn't think you could eat those? I thought they were poisonous to humans? Or maybe just for kids? I'm not sure where I heard that at.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Acorns? At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, I didn't think you could eat those? I thought they were poisonous to humans? Or maybe just for kids? I'm not sure where I heard that at.
    No, they are quite tasty.
    "The Patriarch"

Certain Indian tribes used acorns as a staple food. You just have to know how to prepare them. (And one variety of acorn can be eaten raw). The same is true for poke salad. Acorns have tanic acid in them (used for tanning leather).

Here are a couple of methods.

http://www.grandpappy.info/racorns.htm

http://survival.outdoorlife.com/blog...-survival-food

If you try to eat an acorn without proper preparation, you won't die (at least I didn't when I was 4), but it tastes so bad you will immediately spit it out and wash your mouth out.

I would post my latest mushroom adventure, but I'm afraid some idiot would try it and their family would sue me.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Certain Indian tribes used acorns as a staple food. You just have to know how to prepare them. (And one variety of acorn can be eaten raw). The same is true for poke salad. Acorns have tanic acid in them (used for tanning leather).

If you try to eat an acorn without proper preparation, you won't die (at least I didn't when I was 4), but it tastes so bad you will immediately spit it out and wash your mouth out.

I would post my latest mushroom adventure, but I'm afraid some idiot would try it and their family would sue me.
    Mushrooms can be pretty dangerous, if you aren't sure it's best not to try......
    "The Patriarch"

Broadleaf Plantain

Something you will also find in many lawns around the country.
    The leaves are edible as a salad green when young and tender, but they quickly become tough and fibrous as they get older. The older leaves can be cooked in stews.[13] The leaves contain calcium and other minerals, with 100 grams of plantain containing approximately the same amount of vitamin A as a large carrot. The seeds are so small that they are tedious to gather, but they can be ground into a flour substitute or extender.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_major

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Please do. I won't sue... lol. Seriously though, I've always wanted to go mushroom picking but I don't know, it's intimidating. A lot of little things, if you overlook, can get you a poisonous mushroom instead of the one you thought it was. I've read a little bit about it a while ago. Have you ever gotten sick?

Even the disclaimers in the books are offputting.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 04-16-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

I've seen those in the Midwest. Are they any good?

I've seen those in the Midwest. Are they any good?
    I dunno, I only found out about them last fall. Ask donnay, that's where I found out about them.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

Every survival kit should have some plantain in it. True story. I occassionaly train martial arts. One day I noticed my training partner had a spot on his wrist. I asked him where it came from. He said that he had had a brown recluse spider bite. Shocked, because I've seen the horror pics on the internet of large chuncks of flesh rotted away from BRs, I asked him what he did about it. He told me he didn't have any insurance, so his wife went to the yard, picked some plantain (not sure if it was broad or narrow), chewed it up, put it on the bite and put some tape over it. That's it! The spot healed much better than if he had gone to the hospital.

I asked a naturalist about this (wonderful 80 something y/o lady) and she told me "Yes. It's known as God's eraser. Rub it on any insect bite or sting and it rubs out the pain." Sometime later I was at a large church convention. One pastor's son got stung by a yellow jacket. After walking around for a while looking for a first aid kit, I tried "God's eraser" and low and behold...it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Mushrooms can be pretty dangerous, if you aren't sure it's best not to try......
    You are 100% correct. Which is why I didn't post it. Someone else's death from misreading my advice would bother me more than my own.

Please do. I won't sue... lol. Seriously though, I've always wanted to go mushroom picking but I don't know, it's intimidating. A lot of little things, if you overlook, can get you a poisonous mushroom instead of the one you thought it was. I've read a little bit about it a while ago. Have you ever gotten sick?

LOL. I had one survival book from years ago that posted an "edibility rule" about mushrooms. but I haven't been able to verify it. I do know a couple of wild edible mushrooms very well from my days as a child in a wilderness survival club, which are puffball and inky cap. The puffball can be confused for the poisonous aminita, but the puffball is solid inside and the young aminita is hollow with a mushroom cap inside.

Anyhow, the offputting disclaimers are because a) some mushrooms are very poisonous b) unlike plants you often can't tell that from taste or smell (yes, with a lot of plants that are poisonous you can safely taste a little bit and spit it out if it's bad), 3) some poisonous mushrooms look like safe ones. I'd suggest finding a local person that's into murshrooms (check out Meetup.com for that) and go with them sometime. If they don't die, you know the mushroom is safe.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 04-16-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Watercress is delicious. Had some fiddle-head fern soup the other day

Slippery Jack mushrooms, which grow on white pine roots, are easy to identify. They have yellow pores (instead of gills) on the underside and have a brown cap that gets slimey when wet (hence the name). They are edible but don't taste that good, escept as a condiment ground up. Of course, morels aren't that hard to identify and I don't think there are any poisonous shrooms that look like them. There are places in NH where these are fairly abundant.
    The clavariadephus truncatas (sp?) is unmistakeable, shaped like an orangish cone. It has a slightly sweet taste due to the low alcohol (manitol) content. Only problem is, if you eat too many, diarrhea may result, just like if you eat too much "sugarless" candy that's sweetened with manitol.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I apologize but I loled.

When roman legions would march/occupy etc they had standing orders to plant chestnuts (mostly) and oak (acorns) so that in the future they can feed them self.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Purslane!
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Watercress is delicious. Had some fiddle-head fern soup the other day
    I've got some fiddle-heads growing in my back yard. Can you post the recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Purslane!
    Oh yeah! That's some good stuff. Packed with omega-3s. I love eating it raw.

I forage about one meal a week from my yard. Clover, cleaver, henbit, dandelions, pony's foot,.....
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

I bet fiddleheads fried in Italian dressing or vinaegrette would taste pretty good. I used to hate broccolli till someone skillet-fried it in salad dressing and gave me some.
    Acorns you have to soak and squeeze out the tannic acid several times till you get a paste/flour you can use.

http://www.foragingtexas.com/?m=0

My favorite foraging website. It has pics, and tips on how to prepare the food. You can also filter by season, color, or location (yard, pasture, woods).
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

A lot of local colleges have courses on mycology (study of fungus) that could be interesting to take.

Or, there are definitely "meetups" that go hiking purposely to find mushrooms.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dogwoods are blooming, that means morels are up..

[edit] Wish these were on my counter..
    Last edited by tod evans; 04-17-2013 at 07:02 AM.

My grandmother always kept bags in the trunk of the car. As my grandfather would be driving down the road she would yell "Ken, pull over!" She would get out on the side of the road and pick collards along the roadside.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Every survival kit should have some plantain in it. True story. I occassionaly train martial arts. One day I noticed my training partner had a spot on his wrist. I asked him where it came from. He said that he had had a brown recluse spider bite. Shocked, because I've seen the horror pics on the internet of large chuncks of flesh rotted away from BRs, I asked him what he did about it. He told me he didn't have any insurance, so his wife went to the yard, picked some plantain (not sure if it was broad or narrow), chewed it up, put it on the bite and put some tape over it. That's it! The spot healed much better than if he had gone to the hospital.

I asked a naturalist about this (wonderful 80 something y/o lady) and she told me "Yes. It's known as God's eraser. Rub it on any insect bite or sting and it rubs out the pain." Sometime later I was at a large church convention. One pastor's son got stung by a yellow jacket. After walking around for a while looking for a first aid kit, I tried "God's eraser" and low and behold...it worked.
    I have used it on yellow jacket bites also.

I found one of these on my daily walk. Is it edible?

^ Just another "noxious weed."

(yes, I am aware it looks more like indica than sativa, but for the link's sake...)
    Last edited by Nirvikalpa; 04-17-2013 at 09:25 AM.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BAllen View Post
    I found one of these on my daily walk. Is it edible?
    I hear it makes pretty good rope.
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast