Thread: A bill protecting the right to photograph or video record police

A bill protecting the right to photograph or video record police

Martin Looney introduced S.B. 237 "to protect the right of an individual to photograph or video record peace officers in the performance of their duties." There are a few exemptions such as to protect the privacy of a victim.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillsta...=0&SUBMIT1.y=0

This is the only time I can recall agreeing with Martin Looney on anything.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."
    Ronald Reagan, 1981

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I thought it was already legal by Constitutional law? Are you sure this isn't really limiting it? I mean, look what they passed by calling it the 'Patriot' Act.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I don't know the current status of the law. Maybe it's just clarifying things. I just became aware of this after reading an article which said

State Sen. Martin Looney D-New Haven, first introduced the bill in 2011 on the heels of two disturbing incidents: the 2009 arrest of New Haven priest James Manship by East Haven cops for his video-recording their alleged harassment of Latino shopowners, and the 2010 arrest of Luis Luna, who recorded an arrest on a public street.
    http://hamden.patch.com/groups/polic...e-job_01e09913
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."
    Ronald Reagan, 1981

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I thought it was already legal by Constitutional law? Are you sure this isn't really limiting it? I mean, look what they passed by calling it the 'Patriot' Act.
    The Glic decision addressed this in the 1st District (which includes CT) under certain circumstances. So typically it is already legal to film police, at least outside, while they are doing their job. http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/pdf.opin...-1764P-01A.pdf
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.