Thread: Hagel proposes change to medal for drone pilots

Hagel proposes change to medal for drone pilots

WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced Monday that a proposed medal for drone pilots and cyber operators will not be a separate commendation but an attachment to an existing honor.

Veterans groups and some members of Congress objected to the Distinguished Warfare Medal when it was proposed in February by former Defense secretary Leon Panetta. They contended that it would have surpassed honors such as the Purple Heart.

"The service men and women who operate and support our remotely piloted aircraft, operate in cyber, and others are critical to our military's mission of safeguarding the nation," Hagel said.

Hagel took the advice from the joint chiefs. They will now have 90 days to establish criteria for new honor.

Last month, Hagel ordered a review of the Distinguished Warfare Medal, which was designed to honor "extraordinary actions."

Rep. Duncan Hunter, a California Republican and member of the House Armed Services Committee, and a critic of the medal, said he was withholding judgment on the new honor.

"We'll have to see what they come up with, but I'm not sure there's a real change in intent," Hunter said. "The concern with the DWM was its precedence, not necessarily the medal itself. Right now, I can't say this addresses my concerns about preserving the integrity and tradition of the awards process."
    "Distinguished warfare," eh?
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    RiPPa ‏@RippDemUp now
    Hagel Cancels Creation Of New Medal For Drone, Cyber Warfare

so that is what they mean by 'cancel'? Call it something else?
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

That was one of the first headlines I read too. I wondered the same thing.

Gotta love the press.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

uhhhh...

alright.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

I can just hear it now when they present one of these:

"For sitting in a comfortable chair inside an air conditioned trailer; for risking your foot falling asleep while you carried out your mission in near-complete safety many miles from the battlefield; for utilizing your considerable skills honed during your youth playing video games; for limiting the collateral damage in your surgical strikes to only 49 innocent civilian fatalities including women and children who were simply unlucky for living in the same residential neighborhood near the house you blew up with your hellfire missiles--great job on killing so few innocents!--and for not getting the orange dust from your Cheetos smeared all over your uniform while performing these heroic deeds against overwhelming odds, I hereby bestow upon you this medal for your honor, bravery, and sacrifice."
    "Some supporters of the war use their religion to justify the war. Evidently, I’ve been reading from a different Bible." — Ron Paul
    “I'm supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want.” ― Ron Paul

My crazy whistling YouTube channel
    My crazy whistling music on iTunes

Can you imagine if we ever get into a drone war with some Asian country? All those kids who've been doing nothing but playing video games for 40+ hours a week will be the soldiers. They even have arenas dedicated to gaming, and they kick our ass at it.

Kludge was telling me about how pretty much nobody but Asians can make it into a Starcraft tournament.

Can you imagine if we ever get into a drone war with some Asian country? All those kids who've been doing nothing but playing video games for 40+ hours a week will be the soldiers. They even have arenas dedicated to gaming, and they kick our ass at it.

Kludge was telling me about how pretty much nobody but Asians can make it into a Starcraft tournament.

cowardice rewarded
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How did you get your medal?
    I pressed F12.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Metal? Would a rope, fastened into a noose, do?

As much as I realize what they do is useless, I at least have a modicum of respect for an ignorant man who is willing to risk his own life "For his country" or some such, in the military. I cannot say the same for people who hide in an office and play with computers to kill people. No respect, no mercy...
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading