Thread: Radical Unschool Family is on Wife Swap [Video]

Talking Radical Unschool Family is on Wife Swap [Video]

This video is hilarious and cringe worthy at the same time. Highly recommended.

Wife Swap Season 6 Episode 4
    Avery-Lamb / Martin
    A strict disciplinarian trades lives with a woman who believes children should be given freedom.

http://abc.go.com/watch/wife-swap/SH...y-lamb--martin
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is both the most entertaining episode of Wife Swap and the most interesting from a liberty perspective.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I don't have sound. But I want to make sure I understand - wife swapping isn't radical, but homeschool is?

Wife Swap isn't about really swapping wifes, that is just the name of the show. Also, the family unschools, it doesn't homeschool. There is a difference that the video explains. Though, my guess is, as is often the case with reality shows, there is some creative editing and perhaps even some stretching of the truth happening.

I watched the episode--and the 9 yr-old girl (approx age) could barely read. Not a great advertisement for that method.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I watched the episode--and the 9 yr-old girl (approx age) could barely read. Not a great advertisement for that method.
    Freedom is messy? It could be that the whole thing was played up a little bit. That type of stuff is common on reality shows.

Good vid. Shared on fb.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Homeschooling is one thing, un-schooling is completely insane. A nine year old that can't read the word, "only". Kids that stay up as late as 6 AM!?! The thirteen year old getting his nose pierced?!? We are going to be paying for those hippie morons when they grow up! On another note, I don't know if it's just me but the black father strongly reminded me of Dave Chappelle doing his impersonation of a nerdy white guy. They were all terrified of the mom. I wouldn't be surprised if they all run away, including the dad.
    Last edited by mello; 04-17-2013 at 02:52 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am friends on fb with Dayna Martin, and she posted that her daughter absoluty can read she was just nervous in front of the cameras. Take that for what it is worth.

Another point my tattoo artist unschools her kid, though she doesn't allow the absolute freedom that Martin allows her children, anyways my tattoo artists kid is the smartest frickin kid I have ever met. He is 8 and reads adult novels and has adult conversations with me and all in all is very grown up and intelligent. Maybe it isn't for everyone but it may work for some too.

I watched the episode. While the unschooling family seemed a little over the top, psycho mom was psycho. She should have skipped the kids and applied at Guantanamo. Living with her looks like torture.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

My youngest was nearly 9 when I took him out of school because he couldn't read. I guess that's not a very good advertisement for public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by mello View Post
    Homeschooling is one thing, un-schooling is completely insane. A nine year old that can't read the word, "only". Kids that stay up as late as 6 AM!?! The thirteen year old getting his nose pierced?!? We are going to be paying for those hippie morons when they grow up!
    Don't worry, I am not surprised to see the liberals where I live more liberty oriented than the liberty folks on Ron Paul Forums. As they say, Carpe Diem and Vive Ut Vitas. Thanks for watching the video, anyway. I think it is a good use of time for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by XTreat View Post
    I am friends on fb with Dayna Martin, and she posted that her daughter absoluty can read she was just nervous in front of the cameras. Take that for what it is worth.
    Yup. She is on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/DaynaMartin
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 04-18-2013 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Don't worry, I am not surprised to see the liberals where I live more liberty oriented than the liberty folks on Ron Paul Forums. As they say, Carpe Diem and Vive Ut Vitas. Thanks for watching the video, anyway. I think it is a good use of time for everyone.
    Rejecting or criticizing certain lifestyles that you know wouldn't work for your family is not anti-liberty. I actually intend to incorporate some elements of unschooling into things like hikes in the woods with the daughter, but when it comes to reading/math, etc., it's going to be closer to standard methods. And barring extraordinary circumstances, a routine bedtime is definite.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Rejecting or criticizing certain lifestyles that you know wouldn't work for your family is not anti-liberty. I actually intend to incorporate some elements of unschooling into things like hikes in the woods with the daughter, but when it comes to reading/math, etc., it's going to be closer to standard methods. And barring extraordinary circumstances, a routine bedtime is definite.
    One great thing about homeschooling is that you can pick what actually works for your child. I have twins and they are as different as night and day. When they were barely able to speak, I started using the "Teach your baby to read" method which is based on a "whole langauge" approach. Rather than teaching them letters and then phonics, you just teach the words and the pick up those details later. It worked great with one of my kids, but the other didn't take to it at all. Well for various and sundry reasons (none of them good) I stopped. Eventually the one lost the gains he had made. Meanwhile the other took well to regular school with it's structure and phonics and he took off and the first fell behind. I'm still kicking myself for not following my gut and going forward with what was working. At least both are reading above grade level at this point and the one who was behind is starting to enjoy reading fairly large books so it's not all a total loss. But yeah, if I had a nine year old who couldn't read that would freak me out. Whatever school method I was using, I would change.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    One great thing about homeschooling is that you can pick what actually works for your child. I have twins and they are as different as night and day. When they were barely able to speak, I started using the "Teach your baby to read" method which is based on a "whole langauge" approach. Rather than teaching them letters and then phonics, you just teach the words and the pick up those details later. It worked great with one of my kids, but the other didn't take to it at all. Well for various and sundry reasons (none of them good) I stopped. Eventually the one lost the gains he had made. Meanwhile the other took well to regular school with it's structure and phonics and he took off and the first fell behind. I'm still kicking myself for not following my gut and going forward with what was working. At least both are reading above grade level at this point and the one who was behind is starting to enjoy reading fairly large books so it's not all a total loss. But yeah, if I had a nine year old who couldn't read that would freak me out. Whatever school method I was using, I would change.
    Interesting. I learned, I think, in the traditional phonics way. I was reading before I ever went to school--that's what I remember, not the details of how I learned. Wish my mother was around to ask. I do recall them using flash cards for words/colors/basic math.

At this point, my 2-yr old can "say" (I'm the interpreter) and sign a lot of words and strings some together, she recognizes and can name some of the alphabet, but is so active that she only has brief periods where she'll sit down and focus on something. So the whole language thing might be what she needs--thanks!

It's impossible to judge the unschooled kids based on their interaction with Guantanamo mom. The woman was too good to even spend a night in their home. She didn't try to understand the kids or the lifestyle for a split second. She looked as if she was out to prove her superiority and establish control from the first second. Before she knew where she was headed, she imagined it would be a place that needed her prison warden mentality.

It's a tv show. It's designed to create drama and shock the audience. It is interesting to see which character shocked viewers, however.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another unschool mother from New Hampshire will be speaking at PorcFest. Kelly Halldorson isn't as famous as Dayna Martin. Though, Kelly has been on TV, radio shows, blogs, podcasts and so on. She owns and drivers the Unschool Bus, which has a following of its own. The Unschool Bus has over 25,000 likes on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/theUnschoolBus Check out Kelly's website. http://www.kelly.halldorson.com/

If you spent more than a day helping at the Concord, NH Ron Paul office, you are likely familiar with Kelly, or at least the Unschool Bus, as it was hard to miss. She and her family were super volunteers for Ron Paul and we can all be thankful for the weeks of their lives they dropped everything and helped Ron Paul in 2012.

Come hear their story in person at Porcest 2013.

Here is a video look inside the bus.

Last edited by Keith and stuff; 06-11-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added a few photos of the Unschool Bus at the bottom

I felt sorry for the San Diego family's kids. They seem like really great kids.

The unschooler kids... i am curious to see how they handle life as adults. If there's any indication on how they will handle working with others, this episode shows.

Unschool vs homeschool? Not saying one is perfect but you got to think the wife swap people want to connect unschool = homeschool.

I bumped this to remind William Tell that even posters on RPFs were somewhat complaining about how free New Hampshire is with education freedom. I've known multiple families that have or do unschool in NH and have never heard of any of them being prosecuted for violating state or federal law. I am not worried about the lawless nature of education in the NH unschooling community. Most of these children will end up doing much better than their government school peers.

Despite over 10,000,000+ people learning on TV that unschooling movement leader Dayna Martin followed no education laws, she managed to unschool her kids in New Hampshire without major concern. She leads a 17,550 members my Radical Unschooling group and has actually graduated kids. http://daynamartin.com/