Thread: So a DDOS attack caused this....

So a DDOS attack caused this....

So let me guess this straight a DDos attack caused bitcoin to drop about 100 dollars, why shouldn't I hire a guy with a botnet to do a DDos attack on all exchanges then buy on the dip?

current rate for a botnet is about 200 dollars per 24 hours for about 80k computers.

EDIT: can you guys give me the list of all top bitcoin exchanges so i can get a quote for a DDos attack on all the top teir exchanges?
    Last edited by psi2941; 04-12-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sure that's what's happening

ddos yesterday burned my ass. I lost 20% on btc in limbo between exchanges. I had three buy orders cancelled while pending that were well within range of execution... then my transfer lagged forever when I got on the other side it had crumbled. I was steamed.

Most of its back now.... been a busy bee on the highs and lows..

I'm staying away from gox until they upgrade servers in 2 weeks.
    Last edited by presence; 04-12-2013 at 11:10 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

All of the exchanges have has a DDoS attack on them for over a year, without a break.

This increased attack is still to be verified. But one of the issues talked about, was the major increase of activity in the last 3 weeks. Just on Gox alone, they had 30k new users a month for March in total. But in April, they started to see +20k new users every single day. Again, that is Gox alone. Virc had 8 hours of downtime due to an attack and upgrade two days before Gox went to lag-mode over9000. But Virc isn't even a top 5 exchange. So take that FWIW.
    "What good fortune for governments that the people do not think."

I think the larger question is who would be performing DDoS against all the exchanges and why?

As stated, they're all under DDoS constantly and it doesn't always cause a dip.

If you don't hold it, you don't own it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    If you don't hold it, you don't own it.
    Yep, BTC online, same concept as don't keep PM in bank or only own paper.

Quote Originally Posted by DGambler View Post
    I think the larger question is who would be performing DDoS against all the exchanges and why?
    The obvious market motive would be someone looking to buy in at a lower price. It would be especially useful for someone who had just cashed in as a seller at the peak, they could recoup their bitcoins and the net would be pure profit.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    If your private keys are online, you don't own it.
    FIFY

How do bots DdoS IP's they are unaware of ? This would have to be the work of someone with intimate knowledge of the networking in the entire system and logs. I can't even understand how this is possible. Can anyone else with maybe more technical background explain this.

Ok, took another look at OP, and if the bots are traceable they are blockable. If there is someone advertising it, then it would be merely going down the line. Also anyone packet sniffing locally would have to pick up on this.
    Last edited by talkingpointes; 04-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by talkingpointes View Post
    How do bots DdoS IP's they are unaware of ? This would have to be the work of someone with intimate knowledge of the networking in the entire system and logs. I can't even understand how this is possible. Can anyone else with maybe more technical background explain this.

Ok, took another look at OP, and if the bots are traceable they are blockable. If there is someone advertising it, then it would be merely going down the line. Also anyone packet sniffing locally would have to pick up on this.
    The server doesn't know which ones are legitimate request and which ones are botnets requesting information just to hog bandwidth.

And even if they did, IPs can easily be changed and for a guy who is "controlling" 80k malware/virus infected computer around the world is probably a joke to him to just change the ips.
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?