Thread: Rand Paul Op-Ed - Immigration reform starts with a secure border

Rand Paul Op-Ed - Immigration reform starts with a secure border

Immigration reform starts with a secure border

Protecting the vote and public purse come next

By Sen. Rand Paul

Congress is getting very close to debating comprehensive immigration reform. I am firmly committed to being part of reforming our nation’s immigration laws. Conservatives and liberals agree that our complex immigration system is broken and in need of repair. Although the two sides disagree on solutions, I have three important ideas that should be part of the debate and that should please most Americans.

My “Trust but Verify” plan has three elements: secure the border, secure the vote and secure the taxpayer’s dollar. If these three elements are met, I think, Congress can move forward on a comprehensive plan to reform immigration law.

Securing the border is my first priority. Under my plan, national and border security will move as the first element of any reform and would require annual votes of Congress to establish that the border is truly secure. No other reform can go forward until this happens. In addition to increased border security, our nation needs to modernize our visa system. We need to know who comes and goes on travel, student and other temporary visas. There must be a workable system to ensure that visitors don’t use travel visas as a way to enter the country, then disappear. This will address the problem of visa overstayers.
    More:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...secure-border/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope he's not naive into thinking Schumer gives a damn about any of that.

The bill will be horrible, trust me.

Rand's positioned himself perfectly. Make speeches and write op-eds showing he's serious about immigration reform but when he gets rebuked by Schumer and McCain he'll be able to go back to the base and say I'm not an amnesty sell-out. Plus the gang of 8 seems to want E-verify and biometric ID's which are probably enough reason for Rand to vote against the bill.