Thread: Steve Deace warning or attacking Justin Amash?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I took it as a warning to Amash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    I didn't get anything at all from listening to that. He just said the same thing over and over again.

I clicked it to read but I'm not going to listen through the whole podcast. Life is Deace's biggest issue, probably, from what I know of him, but he is somewhat 'pragmatic' - backed Gingrich based on signing a pledge when nothing in Gingrich's past indicates he has ever felt bound by pledges.

---

edit - thanks for posting the article, I did read that. So its marriage not life. And from what Deace said, Amash fudged and didn't really state a position, that isn't 'abandoning' anyone, although it certainly isn't defending anyone, it is trying to avoid the question to please everyone. Still an issue, potentially, depending on how Michigan feels on this issue, but not the same issue Deace is saying it is. NOt sure exactly what Amash said.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 04-09-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    He's being dishonest about Amash's position. He's saying that Amash actually supports gay marriage since he doesn't support DOMA, even though his position is simply that marriage should be handled by the states.

Deace has a point. Justin's been kind of wishy washy about the issue and I think it's because he wants to make internet people happy. Justin isn't doing himself any favors by trying to appease progressives with his left-wing rhetoric.

"Real threat to traditional marriage & religious liberty is government, not gay couples who love each other & want to spend lives together."

We all know he wants government out of marriage, but it sounds like he thinks marriage is whatever you think it is. Is that true? It personally doesn't matter to me, but I know it's not going to endear the conservative base to him. And progressives definitely aren't going to vote for him no matter what. Compare this with how Rand or Gunny handle the issue. No one's questioning Rand's position on marriage. But Justin's rhetoric is going to make the Republican base think he's not really serious or conservative. He needs to take a strong position and stick to it.

You can hear the exchange Deace is talking about with Amash around the 20min mark and Gary Glenn's response at 46min:
    https://soundcloud.com/waynebradleys...ent-at-1087201
    Last edited by EBounding; 04-10-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    He's being dishonest about Amash's position. He's saying that Amash actually supports gay marriage since he doesn't support DOMA, even though his position is simply that marriage should be handled by the states.
    I think he must have been fooled by the headlines. A lot of them said "Amash supports gay marriage" or "Republican supports gay marriage", etc, so they could lump Amash in with Portman and Kirk.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Deace has a point. Justin's been kind of wishy washy about the issue and I think it's because he wants to make internet people happy. Justin isn't doing himself any favors by trying to appease progressives with his left-wing rhetoric.

"Real threat to traditional marriage & religious liberty is government, not gay couples who love each other & want to spend lives together."

We all know he wants government out of marriage, but it sounds like he thinks marriage is whatever you think it is. Is that true? It personally doesn't matter to me, but I know it's not going to endear the conservative base to him. And progressives definitely aren't going to vote for him no matter what. Compare this with how Rand or Gunny handle the issue. No one's questioning Rand's position on marriage. But Justin's rhetoric is going to make the Republican base think he's not really serious or conservative. He needs to take a strong position and stick to it.

You can hear the exchange Deace is talking about with Amash around the 20min mark and Gary Glenn's response at 46min:
    https://soundcloud.com/waynebradleys...ent-at-1087201
    Marriage, however, is whatever people 'make of it'. It is a social construct, and thus, different to each person. I am curious how you define 'marriage'. I really do not understand how this issue is relevant at all except insofar as Government thievery and privilege is concerned. It should be no business of yours, or anyone else's what contracts people enter into as long as those contracts do not necessitate the loss of your liberties. Christian imposition is as bad as State imposition.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Me and my three wives to religious person "we are all married"

Religious person to me and my three wives "no you are not, marriage is between one man and one woman"

Me and my three wives "yes we are"

End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    Marriage, however, is whatever people 'make of it'. It is a social construct, and thus, different to each person. I am curious how you define 'marriage'. I really do not understand how this issue is relevant at all except insofar as Government thievery and privilege is concerned. It should be no business of yours, or anyone else's what contracts people enter into as long as those contracts do not necessitate the loss of your liberties. Christian imposition is as bad as State imposition.

My belief is that marriage is between a man, a woman, and God -- not the state. Rand and Ron have said basically the same thing and I don't think anyone ever questioned their beliefs. However, Justin seems to be saying that marriage is whatever you think it is, but the government should get out.

Even though the principle is the same (get government out of marriage), Justin seems to be trying to straddle the line to appease both conservatives and left-wing bloggers on the internet. He's not taking a strong position on what he believes personally. Policywise this is irrelevant, but it's very important if he wants to be nominated as a Senate candidate and even elected. If Conservatives think he's wishy-washy about marriage, they'll probably assume he'll be weak on everything else and won't trust him.
    Last edited by EBounding; 04-11-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Did they say in this broadcast that Justin wouldn't have to give up his house seat if he ran for the Senate?

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Did they say in this broadcast that Justin wouldn't have to give up his house seat if he ran for the Senate?
    They did, but I question the accuracy of that comment.