Thread: N.Y. cop accused of hiring hit man to kill witness (different cop)

N.Y. cop accused of hiring hit man to kill witness (different cop)

New York (CNN) -- A veteran New York policeman, jailed since October after being accused of involvement with drug dealers, is now charged with plotting to kill a witness who was to testify against him.

Officer Jose Ramos, from the NYPD's 40th Precinct in the Bronx, was charged Thursday along with his wife, Wanda Abreu, who is accused of using Ramos' pension money to pay off a hit man. The district attorney's office did not identify the hit man or the witness.

"Ramos once said, without him (the witness), there is no case. And so they began conspiring to have that witness killed," Omer Wiczyk, assistant Bronx district attorney, testified in court. "He said explicitly: Go ahead, do it; but do it right away."

Both Ramos and Abreu pleaded not guilty.

"We're very shocked and my client denies all these charges, and we're going to fight them," Dawn Florio, Ramos' defense attorney, said Thursday.

The Bronx district attorney's office said in a news release that the couple attempted to arrange the killing "through face-to-face meetings and telephone calls, some of which were recorded at a detention facility on Rikers Island, where Ramos is awaiting trial."

Court papers say the conversations took place between September and May.

Ramos and Abreu were charged with three counts of conspiracy in the second degree, and one of criminal solicitation in the second degree. If convicted of conspiracy, the most serious of the charges, they could be sentenced to up to 25 years in prison, officials said.

Ramos already faced numerous charges of attempted robbery, attempted grand larceny, transportation of what he believed to be drugs to drug dealers and revealing the identity of a confidential source. Those actions are alleged to have occurred from March to November 2009.

He was investigated after an anonymous tip to police.

Prosecutors say they also stumbled upon an alleged ticket-fixing scandal over the course of the investigation of Ramos, and officials have since accused 16 other police officers of getting rid of tickets for friends or family.

The ticket-fixing charges are unrelated to Ramos.

Bail for Ramos from the charges filed against him in October remains at $500,000 cash.
    Couple of bad apples...
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is it just me or does it seem like the NYPD is exceptionally bad compared to any other police department?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem like the NYPD is exceptionally bad compared to any other police department?
    I actually always thought Seattle and New York.

police officers of getting rid of tickets for friends or family.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    There are quite a few precincts there so it is most likely just that there is so many cops and more chances for a story to come out. I doubt they are any worse than any other metropolitan and a lot of small police stations abuse their power as well.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump