Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Video] At Home with Rand Paul - The Brody File 4/4/13

Personally I don't even have a problem with having marriage defined as between a man and a woman at the state level, but

1) I think that it's important for Rand to take a consistent position on the issue and stick to it.
    2) I'm afraid my position on the issue has become so unpopular that it might be impossible to win a general election while taking that position. The marriage privatization position would appeal to more people in a general election. But, if he takes the position that the states should define marriage as between a man and a woman in the GOP primary, and then in the general takes the position that there should be no government involvement in marriage even at the state level, he could be accused of flip flopping. That's what I'm concerned about.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    I don't know...I agree with TC, it sounds to me like Rand has vacillated between two positions. It would be better for him to take the freedom position.

He hasn't. I've watched a lot of Rand Paul interviews, as well as Ron Paul interviews.

And it's interesting that you are even criticizing Rand Paul's presentation style. How many times have you critiqued Ron Paul's ability to present something?

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by misean View Post
    He hasn't. I've watched a lot of Rand Paul interviews, as well as Ron Paul interviews.

And it's interesting that you are even criticizing Rand Paul's presentation style. How many times have you critiqued Ron Paul's ability to present something?
    He critiques Rand because Rand speaks in a way that doesn't turn off voters. He'd rather some guy telling the blunt, un-sugarcoated truth and turn voters away than someone choose their words wisely and attract new voters.

Quote Originally Posted by misean View Post

I've critiqued Ron before. Anyone can search my posts and find it.

[Tube] At Home with Rand Paul - CBN News' The Brody File In Depth Interview 4/4/2013

Not sure if this was posted yet? I watched it last night.

new to me!
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

I love how his "please come back after the commercial" tease is always, Kelly Paul, next!
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Quote Originally Posted by GOP View Post
    Homosexuals have exactly the same legal rights as heterosexuals when it comes to civil marriage. A straight man cannot marry another man, just as a homosexual man cannot marry another man. A homosexual man can marry a woman and so can a heterosexual man.

Homosexuals have exactly the same legal rights as heterosexuals when it comes to civil marriage. A straight man cannot marry another man, just as a homosexual man cannot marry another man. A homosexual man can marry a woman and so can a heterosexual man.
    Well, that's a pretty distorted perception of legal equality.

Mentions Bastiat
    14:05

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.hill View Post
    It seems to be the same view that Rand has. But apparently his position isn't a deal breaker for you, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to support him.

Quote Originally Posted by T.hill View Post
    A logical fallacy at that though an ad-hoc reasoning of the concept.

I'm not sure it is and I would be critical of Rand if it were. Maybe not a deal-breaker, but logically inconsistent nonetheless.
    Last edited by T.hill; 04-05-2013 at 09:49 PM.

It didn't come across to me like that (not that I care...I would vote for an atheist or a Muslim if I thought they would promote liberty). But he won't truly connect with any true Christian with that presentation.
    I have a feeling even Ron doesn't believe in salvation by grace through faith alone.

"I get to my God through Christ", Ron Paul says. His God? How about the only one true God?

Ron knows Scripture, heck two of his brothers are pastors and he shows real humility. But like his son Rand, he seems to try to "live" the message and never acts terribly interested in it. If Christ died in our place, how can we practically never on the public record ever get excited about it?

Doesn't make either man bad. I suppose a lot of "Christians" religious lives are just going with the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by abacabb View Post
    I have a feeling even Ron doesn't believe in salvation by grace through faith alone.
    Most people who call themselves "Christians" today (Roman Catholics, Arminians of all denominations, cultists like Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists, etc) do not believe in salvation by grace through faith alone...so it wouldn't surprise me. Most people who go to church today reject salvation by grace through faith alone.

"I get to my God through Christ", Ron Paul says. His God? How about the only one true God?

Ron knows Scripture, heck two of his brothers are pastors and he shows real humility. But like his son Rand, he seems to try to "live" the message and never acts terribly interested in it. If Christ died in our place, how can we practically never on the public record ever get excited about it?

Doesn't make either man bad. I suppose a lot of "Christians" religious lives are just going with the motions.

The one thing that I think is different about Ron is that he represents more of a Christian worldview than most other "Christian" sounding politicians. This is directly because he was persauded by free-market Calvinists like Francis Scheaffer, John Robbins, and Gary North. It is because of Reformed theology that Ron Paul represents more of a freedom worldview as opposed to other so-called Christian worldviews (like Santorum).

Most people who call themselves "Christians" today (Roman Catholics, Arminians of all denominations, cultists like Mormons and Seventh Day Adventists, etc) do not believe in salvation by grace through faith alone...so it wouldn't surprise me. Most people who go to church today reject salvation by grace through faith alone.

The one thing that I think is different about Ron is that he represents more of a Christian worldview than most other "Christian" sounding politicians. This is directly because he was persauded by free-market Calvinists like Francis Scheaffer, John Robbins, and Gary North. It is because of Reformed theology that Ron Paul represents more of a freedom worldview as opposed to other so-called Christian worldviews (like Santorum).
    True. Ron Paul seems saturated in it. What converted my wife to our side was watching how in "For Liberty," Paul turned the other cheek when being attacked on national television. I swear, you'd think you were reading one of the psalms. But, maybe I'm just too much into the fundamentals. Unless one acknowledges God by His grace saves men through faith in Christ, that man cannot be a Christian. Even a great man like Ron, who seems to have a cultural relativist worldview (that he gets to his personal God "through Jesus Christ.") It seems like a very calculating way of avoiding saying, "I believe in the one true God and He has died for my sin on the cross.

Apparently, a lot of people believe God is Buddha, God is Allah, God is animism...but that's just new age hog wash. God is not Athena. God is not Molech. God is not Baal. A lot of people were syncretists back then. Being a "Christian" but believing the other religions can be true too is like being any Israelite before the Babylonians took them away that would pay homage at the temple one day and then go to the Asherah outside the Jerusalem the next.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12