Thread: Phoenix Recruits Minority Lifeguards Even if They Can’t Swim

Phoenix Recruits Minority Lifeguards Even if They Can’t Swim

What could go wrong?

DON’T GO IN THE POOL
    http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=52113

Why should we require life guards to be able to swim? That’s racist. We don’t require that people actually be disabled to get on SSDI. That would be racist. We don’t require that students be able to write a sentence or do simple arithmetic in order to graduate high school. That would be racist.

Next year you will be reading a story about the little black kid that drowned in a Phoenix public pool because the black lifeguard didn’t know how to swim either. The City of Phoenix will pay out $750,000 to the family of the victim and erect a statue of the child next to the pool.

[...]
    City Recruits Minority Lifeguards Even if They Can’t Swim

In a staggering case of affirmative action gone wild, officials in a major U.S. city are actually recruiting minorities to be lifeguards at public pools even if they’re not good swimmers. It’s all in the name of diversity.

You can’t make this stuff up. It’s a real-life story out of Phoenix, the capitol of Arizona and the nation’s sixth-largest city. It has more than 1.4 million residents and, among its official mottos is “value and respect” of diversity. This means “more than gender and race,” according to the city’s official website. It also encompasses “uniqueness and individuality” and embracing differences. “We put this belief into action to provide effective services to our diverse community.”

Evidently officials are willing to compromise those “effective services” at 29 public swimming pools spread throughout the city. To diversify the lifeguard force, Phoenix will spend thousands of dollars to recruit minorities even if they’re not strong swimmers, according to an official quoted in a news report. Blacks, Latinos and Asians who may not necessarily qualify can still get hired, says the city official who adds that “we will work with you in your swimming abilities.”

There’s a good reason the city is hiring lifeguards that can’t swim. Public pools are largely used by Latino and African-American kids, but most of the lifeguards are white and this creates a huge problem. “The kids in the pool are all either Hispanic or black or whatever, and every lifeguard is white and we don’t like that,” says a Phoenix official quoted in the story. She added that “the kids don’t relate; there’s language issues.”

How did it ever come to this? Competitive swimming is a sport dominated by whites. In fact, studies have found that blacks and Hispanics have lower swimming proficiency compared to whites. In Phoenix public pool lifeguards have traditionally come from “more affluent parts of town” where schools have swim teams. That means virtually no minorities, so the city launched this special program to recruit some.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Holy hell, that is beyond stupid. I don't even know what to say sometimes. Wow.

On behalf of myself and my fellow Phoenicians, please don't judge us by this foolishness. Most real people here aren't that stupid. Something about government both attracts stupid jackasses and turns decent folks into stupid jackasses. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    First my fellow citizens re-elected McCain and now this... idiots!
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    First my fellow citizens re-elected McCain and now this... idiots!
    To be fair, voters aren't the majority (less than 50% actually vote IIRC)-and only a fraction of them voted for McShame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Phoenix Seeks to Recruit Minority Lifeguards - Swimming Skills Not Required

Phoenix Seeks to Recruit Minority Lifeguards, Even Ones Who Lack Strong Swimming Skills

The Blaze
    Apr. 4, 2013

Officials in a major U.S. city are reportedly seeking to fill their minority quota for lifeguard positions at public pools with those who require additional training in order to become proficient swimmers.

The city of Phoenix is looking to step up its diversity in the area of lifeguards. So much so in fact that 29 public swimming pools will reportedly now be manned by blacks, Latinos and Asians who may not have the advanced swimming skills required to succeed in their roles. The apparent good news, however, is that the city will “work with” the candidates on improving their “swimming abilities” via money it has raised for this very purpose.

NPR reported that 90 percent of the students at Phoenix’s Alhambra High are black, Latino or Asian and that city official Melissa Boyle told the students she’s not looking for strong swimmers in her recruiting efforts.

“We will work with you in your swimming abilities,” Boyle said.

The kids in the pool are all either Hispanic or black or whatever, and every lifeguard is white and we don’t like that,” Boyle’s colleague Kelly Martinez said.

Full Story:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...imming-skills/

Related Article:

Phoenix affirmative action program could actually get someone killed
    Last edited by FrankRep; 04-05-2013 at 02:17 AM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Remember it's not "racism" if you target caucasians...

Incidentally I worked as a life guard without actually passing the test . Wonders of companies breaking rules to fill a need. But I could swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What about a blind and parapalegic person who wishes to be a lifeguard? Will they be providing a trained swimming eye dog and equipping the pools with safety rails for them? Get over yourselves people. What if I'm not white or black or hispanic? Did you just call me a "whatever?" "Were you talking to me?" What candy ass BS.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

One of my favorite scenes from my favorite TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

wow - isn't this against the CRA? and they say we're racist?!

Quote Originally Posted by paulbot24 View Post
    What about a blind and parapalegic person who wishes to be a lifeguard? Will they be providing a trained swimming eye dog and equipping the pools with safety rails for them? Get over yourselves people. What if I'm not white or black or hispanic? Did you just call me a "whatever?" "Were you talking to me?" What candy ass BS.
    Don't worry, they have seeing eye dogs.

Honestly, you don't need to be a strong swimmer to be a lifeguard most places. I think the test locally was something like swimming a half-mile in 30 minutes or something equally stupid-easy.

Being a lifeguard at most pools is more about just paying attention, enforcing safety rules, and being able to perform CPR/first aid.

Not to say that affirmative action like this isn't really dumb, because it is, but the "weak swimming skills" part is a bit of a red herring.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."
    ~ President John Q. Adams ~

City Recruits Minority Lifeguards Even if They Can’t Swim

In a staggering case of affirmative action gone wild, officials in a major U.S. city are actually recruiting minorities to be lifeguards at public pools even if they’re not good swimmers. It’s all in the name of diversity.

You can’t make this stuff up. It’s a real-life story out of Phoenix, the capitol of Arizona and the nation’s sixth-largest city. It has more than 1.4 million residents and, among its official mottos is “value and respect” of diversity. This means “more than gender and race,” according to the city’s official website. It also encompasses “uniqueness and individuality” and embracing differences. “We put this belief into action to provide effective services to our diverse community.”

Evidently officials are willing to compromise those “effective services” at 29 public swimming pools spread throughout the city. To diversify the lifeguard force, Phoenix will spend thousands of dollars to recruit minorities even if they’re not strong swimmers, according to an official quoted in a news report. Blacks, Latinos and Asians who may not necessarily qualify can still get hired, says the city official who adds that “we will work with you in your swimming abilities.”

There’s a good reason the city is hiring lifeguards that can’t swim. Public pools are largely used by Latino and African-American kids, but most of the lifeguards are white and this creates a huge problem. “The kids in the pool are all either Hispanic or black or whatever, and every lifeguard is white and we don’t like that,” says a Phoenix official quoted in the story. She added that “the kids don’t relate; there’s language issues.”
    cont
    http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/20...hey-cant-swim/

Let them drown if they prefer one skin color over the other?
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Remember it's not "racism" if you target caucasians...
    According to some around here, it's racist to even post this story.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    According to some around here, it's racist to even post this story.
    In the military, the non racist fully integrated US NAVY I was almost turned down for advancement out of bootcamp because the Filipino company commanders advanced a native son. I as one who actually took on larger responsibilities ( Company Yeoman ) came across the paper work. All this 'native son' did was carry a banner flag. I threatened to take it higher and low and behold we BOTH got advancement. Funny that in the fully integrated military.

Which all I wanted to say was even in the Navy swimming is not a requirement. That and what I posted above.