Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consumer Reports best mattress not sold in CA due to state emissions regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    And Sears wonders why their company is going to the dogs.
    I worked for Sears while in H.S. in the early '80's. In many departments at various jobs. The store and company impressed me. I became a loyal customer after I left. However, over the years their commitment to customer service and quality of product has become so piss poor I have just stopped going.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I worked for Sears while in H.S. in the early '80's. In many departments at various jobs. The store and company impressed me. I became a loyal customer after I left. However, over the years their commitment to customer service and quality of product has become so piss poor I have just stopped going.
    They asked for feedback today, and I told them basically what I said here. In closing though, I said I have been sad watching a great American legacy company like Sears going to the dogs, but now not so much, since it is largely self-inflicted.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They asked for feedback today, and I told them basically what I said here. In closing though, I said I have been sad watching a great American legacy company like Sears going to the dogs, but now not so much, since it is largely self-inflicted.
    Yeah, I had a friend that worked, then managed, in customer service and by the late 80's there had been such a shift that he was leaving the dept. for something more fulfilling. Like many companies it came down from on high that it was all about the bottom line and maximizing profits. Which is fine as long as you don't drive away your customers in the process because then the profits won't be there to maximize on.

It's true! Everything is made like $#@! now. Batteries, light bulbs, beds, appliances... Levis even suck now!

We have even more than that. Some pairs only last a few months.

I guess they've all decided to accelerate their planned obsolescence strategy!
    A friend of mine takes old jeans cuts them up and sews them into blankets and picnic throws.. Pretty cool re-use. Kids love all the pockets and zippers, but I've heard that one must check all of the pockets on laundry day.

I have plans for that! My SIL told me jeans quilts are the easiest to make. Told her about this article:

Make a quilt out of Levis
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ainsworth77.html

I got a reconditioned sewing machine over a year ago, and still haven't taken it out of the box! LOL I don't know why the hell I'm so intimidated. It took me less time to jump into canning (6 months) than it has sewing!
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I have plans for that! My SIL told me jeans quilts are the easiest to make. Told her about this article:

Make a quilt out of Levis
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ainsworth77.html

I got a reconditioned sewing machine over a year ago, and still haven't taken it out of the box! LOL I don't know why the hell I'm so intimidated. It took me less time to jump into canning (6 months) than it has sewing!
    Wow, those are some nice looking quilts. My lady friend just cuts them into squares and sews them together. No quilting. She make couch covers also with pockets to hold remotes. She gets all the material from friends and sells them for $25 for a blanket. At that cost I bought four for camping. They are great. Rev up that sewing machine!

Ah yesss... The mattress scam.

They all suck now. There was a time when you could have a 10 year mattress, not anymore. The exception being the temperpedic, which you'll pay out the nose for (and in the nose too - let that sucker air out on the garage for a few weeks)

If you get a temperpedic, the nice thing is that the warranty is not handled by the seller. Instead, temerpedic handles their own warranty, so you'll not get screwed with choosing another POS mattress from the same seller. It gets you out of "the game", but you pay for it. We've been happy, for the most part, with our temperpedic, but I still cant get over the price... >$2000 for something that will last longer than 3 years is pretty ridiculous. I made my own platform for ~$60 btw, and avoided the $400 fee for that. For $2000 they should throw in a platform...

Ask me how I know...

Reminds me of:

Bend over and take it up the tailpipe!

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

We bought our new king set from a local guy, who actually manufactures them here in AZ. We love it. Plus, they sewed cushion on to the "bottom" side, so we can flip and rotate it like you used to be able to do with mattresses! We are so happy, and only paid $1200 for the whole set. If we're unhappy with it down the road, they said bring it over and we'll fix it. I wanted to buy our new guest room set from them too but Sears prevented that. My youngest son needs a new bed though, and they'll definitely be getting that business.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Ah yesss... The mattress scam.

They all suck now. There was a time when you could have a 10 year mattress, not anymore. The exception being the temperpedic, which you'll pay out the nose for (and in the nose too - let that sucker air out on the garage for a few weeks)

If you get a temperpedic, the nice thing is that the warranty is not handled by the seller. Instead, temerpedic handles their own warranty, so you'll not get screwed with choosing another POS mattress from the same seller. It gets you out of "the game", but you pay for it. We've been happy, for the most part, with our temperpedic, but I still cant get over the price... >$2000 for something that will last longer than 3 years is pretty ridiculous. I made my own platform for ~$60 btw, and avoided the $400 fee for that. For $2000 they should throw in a platform...

Ask me how I know...
    Its been a year now and we are still really like the made in the USA <$1000 king size mattress we got from amazon that I linked to early in the thread. No complaints whatsoever, it has a 20yr warranty but dunno about it since we haven't used it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092UMVEW/

I used to be a simmons beautyrest mattress customer.. all the way but I cannot stand the *memory foam* toppers.. and they all seem to be that way now.. that foam crap on top - now a real goose down topper is awesome - I have one and although it's seen better days it's still my favorite mattress ever.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    A friend of mine takes old jeans cuts them up and sews them into blankets and picnic throws.. Pretty cool re-use. Kids love all the pockets and zippers, but I've heard that one must check all of the pockets on laundry day.
    you mean I'm not the only one??? I made a HUGE one when my daughter was in middle school for the swim team to use for meets and years before that.. circa 1980ish, I made a cover for what we called *Puff* a bean bag couch made all of old jeans.. filled with all sorts of stuff - including packing peanuts.. crunchy noises when we sat on it.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12