Thread: Failed support attempt......

Exclamation Failed support attempt......

I tried to talk to my family about RP on Thanksgiving day. Let me tell you, my family is the most self serving, lazy people I have ever met. I tried talking about issues I thought they would care about like the IRS, Trans Texas Corridor (they live in Austin, Texes right next to I-35), NAU, borders, war, etc. My wife even said they looked bored. Besides my uncle, who at least seemed interested, nobody really cared and they even kind of joked about it. "He's going to hit us up for a donation. HaHa!"

It really pisses me off that my family is so stupid when it comes to anything outside their little world. My brother just talks about his new car and his new stuff and my sister just wants everyone to come look at her new house and furniture and cries because we would not go over there late at night after drinking just to see it. She is the epitome of a drama queen.

They don't believe what is happening because anyone in their right mind would not just blow this off if they knew what was happening. How can I get through to them?

My brother said he kind of liked him but that he didn't have a chance, sounded like the interview with Stepolophis (whatever the spelling is). I did tell him he was wrong and that people like him would be the reason he would fail because they like him but don't do anything about it. And I also told him about the fundraising, media blackout (which he was judging it on), and all the grassroots support. How do I convince him?

My sister is engaged to a Bushy. He even says he was invited to be a free mason but was not sure he wanted to do it. my sister at least doesn't like that idea. She is just so wrapped up in saying that nobody cares about her since we didn't want to drive drunk across town to see her house. How do I open her eyes?

My uncle seems interested but doesn't have internet access and he is the most informed. He is just a loaner who lives alone about 55 years old. Kids don't visit, mother passed away this year at 84 who was aware of all the real issues so I guess it rubbed off on him. He is very smart but he just works and comes home and drinks. He like RP but I don't think I can convince him to vote in the primaries. How do I get him motivated to take action?

Please help me get these potential supporters.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You can't win them all. Don't get hard on yourself. You can't waste your time on people that aren't interested I've found.

I've found that its best not to keep talking about it with these types of people because they get annoyed. Just take it that you have planted a seed and maybe they will see the light.

It's sad, but sometimes people need a slap in the face before they realize what is going on. I know people like that, too. I used to be like that just a short while ago. The only way some of them will wake up is when everything around them crashes. If Ron Paul doesn't get elected, that may very well happen. But by then it will be too late. But if you keep talking to them, little by little, there may be hope to bring them around in time.

Does your sister have any children? If so, the fear of them being drafted, might work. Or, you can show her how the dollar is crashing and you can point out that she can buy less "stuff", as the dollar loses its value.

I dunno about your uncle. I guess call him on primary day and ask him if he would go vote in the primary, as a personal favor to you. Since you're his nephew, it might work. Or, if you live close enough, go there and personally drive him to the polling place.

They're not interested and there's a 99% chance none of them will vote in the primary so they're irrelevant. Move on to better prospects.
    Help convert the Republican Party from within

|------------|------------------|---------------|-----------------|-You are here----|-----------|
    Tyranny --> Revolution --> Freedom --> Prosperity --> Dependency ---> Tyranny

Quote Originally Posted by alien View Post
    I tried to talk to my family about RP on Thanksgiving day. Let me tell you, my family is the most self serving, lazy people I have ever met. I tried talking about issues I thought they would care about like the IRS, Trans Texas Corridor (they live in Austin, Texes right next to I-35), NAU, borders, war, etc. My wife even said they looked bored. Besides my uncle, who at least seemed interested, nobody really cared and they even kind of joked about it. "He's going to hit us up for a donation. HaHa!"

It really pisses me off that my family is so stupid when it comes to anything outside their little world. My brother just talks about his new car and his new stuff and my sister just wants everyone to come look at her new house and furniture and cries because we would not go over there late at night after drinking just to see it. She is the epitome of a drama queen.

They don't believe what is happening because anyone in their right mind would not just blow this off if they knew what was happening. How can I get through to them?

My brother said he kind of liked him but that he didn't have a chance, sounded like the interview with Stepolophis (whatever the spelling is). I did tell him he was wrong and that people like him would be the reason he would fail because they like him but don't do anything about it. And I also told him about the fundraising, media blackout (which he was judging it on), and all the grassroots support. How do I convince him?

My sister is engaged to a Bushy. He even says he was invited to be a free mason but was not sure he wanted to do it. my sister at least doesn't like that idea. She is just so wrapped up in saying that nobody cares about her since we didn't want to drive drunk across town to see her house. How do I open her eyes?

My uncle seems interested but doesn't have internet access and he is the most informed. He is just a loaner who lives alone about 55 years old. Kids don't visit, mother passed away this year at 84 who was aware of all the real issues so I guess it rubbed off on him. He is very smart but he just works and comes home and drinks. He like RP but I don't think I can convince him to vote in the primaries. How do I get him motivated to take action?

I just want to say that there is no such thing as a failed attempt.
    You must do your part and leave leave the results up to God/fate/time...whatever.
    “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
    -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Think what do they hate....Like war in iraq or something like that...You need to shock them to open their eyes...
    KEEP THE REVOLUTION ALIVE! RUN FOR OFFICE!

You planted the seed. None of us knows what might happen between now and the primaries. Current events could prompt people to throw off the shackles of complacency and look around at their alternatives. You did your part. There are none so blind than those unwilling to see.
    When all else fails,
    there's always
    www.escapeartist.com

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds like you had the same bad luck I had. My mother is a Nazi (supports Hitlary), my father would never become a Republican, and my other relatives think he is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Think what do they hate....Like war in iraq or something like that...You need to shock them to open their eyes...
    I disagree. Don't try to coerce your family.

Sometimes you have to plant the seeds, and then give them time to grow. Try back in a few weeks, and see if they have thought any more about what you told them. There are plenty of success stories on here about that.

Maybe leave them with some literature (short stuff) and ask them to read it.
    Hi!

Someone argued with me about Bush and I was offended but in the end I saw the light.

Quote Originally Posted by me3 View Post
    I disagree. Don't try to coerce your family.
    QFT. Nothing will close people's ears and minds faster than someone who thinks they know all the answers. To them that's what you are when you try to convince them of Ron Paul's perfection.
    Help convert the Republican Party from within

|------------|------------------|---------------|-----------------|-You are here----|-----------|
    Tyranny --> Revolution --> Freedom --> Prosperity --> Dependency ---> Tyranny

politics best left at the door during thanksgiving.

great if you convert, worse if you piss everyone off.
    Dude, I'm rich! Check out this tin can! Uber wealth, ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by fireinme View Post
    Someone argued with me about Bush and I was offended but in the end I saw the light.
    Welcome aboard!

In order to accept this message, one has to really want to seek the truth, not just hear it.
    What is clear as day to us calls into question the entire paradigm that most Americans have become accustomed to. Reaching the "common man" with our ideas is tough, it has more to do with their level of introspection rather than the quality of our pitch.

I'll share a success story today;
    I was playing the 60 minutes piece with David Walker, Comptroller General of the US, where he lays out our fiscal peril. I was playing it for my mother, then my 17-year old brother sat down. I told him that he should pay attention to this because HE was going to be the one paying the price, I commented that politicians have mortgaged HIS future for the benefit of our parents. He has never heard of Ron Paul.
    I showed him our beautiful mosaic ad that ran in the Ames newspaper, I told him how this is a MOVEMENT, not just a campaign, that this is people who care, pitching in their money time and creativity to make our country great again.
    I played him some of the wonderful Avaroth videos,
    Then I got into the WAR, and asked him what he would do if he was drafted to fight in IRaq.
    I told him about the wildly sucessful 4.2 mil money bomb, I showed him my picture at the Philly Rally with 5,000 of my very good friends. Then I showed him the USA today Ad that one man, acting on principle and putting his money where his mouth is, put Ron out there to countless sleeping Americans.
    I sat him down at www.freeme.tv where he saw YOUNG PEOPLE JUST LIKE HIM, getting together to make a difference.
    I think I got through to him, I think he now GETS IT.
    Kids talk, he is one of the 'popular' ones, I hope this message gains traction, if anybody can rally the youth in our area it is my loud mouthed brother.

So don't beat yourself up over failed recruitment, they are just not ready to hear the truth.
    Focus on those that are ready, there is no need for a pitch, what we have already collectively done through this forum serves as a shining example of what the country COULD be if we all CARED enough to act.
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be."
    Thomas Jefferson

"alien" - don't feel bad.

There's a good reason the saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" has been around forever: It's true! It's sad, but there are a lot of people who make it a point of pride that they don't care about politics and political issues. These are usually the ones who wave their arms and run around, yelling, "when did THAT happen???" when they (finally) find out that a distasteful law has been passed.

No offense to your family, but if they are shortsighted when it comes to political matters, you're better off not wasting your time trying to "convert" them - instead, go to meetup.com and see if you can find a meetup group in your area.

Most important of all - don't give up! Keep looking for new avenues to help Ron Paul become President: print and distribute flyers, write letters to the editor, call a talk show, or make yard signs - all of which are virtually free!

And thanks for sticking with it!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do not worry.

It takes time to come out of a coma. Give them some time.

Now they know his name and could take it upon themselves to look him up and start the process of healing their brains.

Such is the power of the Ron Paul communicable disease known as the incurable Liberty Virus type - RP (LVRP).

Even if they are not converted right away, just talking about Ron Paul is enough to spread a few million LVRPs. And when they are injested, the LVRPs begin the process of healing neuron synapses.

Warning: Some neo-cons have a very high number of Hannity-phage antibodies to LVRPs and they require more time and more exposure.
    Last edited by OptionsTrader; 11-24-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Member #43 of Ron Paul's Campaign for Liberty
    Smallest Political Quiz
    Judge Napolitano on Ron Paul
    Constitutional Republic
    A Republic If You Can Keep It
    Ron Paul in 1988

In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
    -Mark Twain

alien, it sounds like your uncle is a real possibility; don't waste time with the others. If you have the time you should visit your uncle once a week to watch some Ron Paul videos with him (since you think he doesn't have internet access); at worst you'll be good company for your lonesome uncle and at best you'll have a new ally in the fight to get the nomination. Maybe you should have a debate watching get together at his place on November 28.

Swap families

The very same people may listen to the very same information if coming from someone they hardly know.

But it's probably not worth worrying about. For all the energy you spend in converting them, you could enrol 400 other people.

The very good news is that people who are this apathetic - and there are TONS of them out there - probably won't vote for ANYONE in the primaries.

The less is more... DO NOT PUSH.

Hey, This is normal. This is majority of America. Pathetic, I know, but that is what majority of people are "reduced" to. This is roughly how my Thanksgiving dinner with my family went too.

If your family is not interested to engage and understand the issues, perhaps they'll do you a favor and get out and vote in the primary. Therefore your time is best spent by filling out and mailing to register them as a Republican. Then on the primary election day, drive each one of them to their polling places.

Remember that the last time only 6% got out and voted in the Republican primary. (I don't know if this means 6% of registered Republican.)

Also remember that we don't want to motivate opponents voters to come out and vote. They should stay home. (Most do anyway.)

The number one rule in marketing: You cannot change people. All you can do is plant a seed, a story, that they chose to believe. The more you push, the less chance you have. The less you say, the more effective it is. Just wear a Ron Paul button and let them ask questions. If they start resisting your answers, just hand out a slim Jim, a DVD, and move back to other topics. DO NOT PUSH.

Hi Alien. I'll play Dr. Phil here for a moment. Now that the holiday is over and you've sobered up enough to drive, get over to your sister's house and ooh and ahh over her furniture. Show some interest in the things your family members care about if you want them to be interested in what you care about.

Beyond that, I pretty much agree with the others that the most you can do is plant the seed, take an opportunity, if it presents itself, to water it a bit, but resist the urge to over do and drown it.

If they vote in the primary at all, then it sounds like they're not going to put a lot of thought into it. The fact that you've gotten to them with Ron Paul's name and message might actually pay off when the time actually comes for them to make a decision. Endorsements from people you know do make a difference, especially with people who don't take the time to examine the various candidates for themselves.

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't really push but I did mention it and when they asked questions or poked fun I set them straight since they did not know what they were talking about. I think that's why they got bored cause they looked really stupid when I told them how it was. I did it nicely but people that are uninformed don't like to look stupid. I guess it serves them right for trying to be a smart a$$ I'll let it marinate for a bit before I try again, if I try again. I may just work on their subconscience.

show people that don't care how money works and how it is working against them and i would hope they start to care.

Hit these people with DVD's, especially the uncle. I personally can't stand talking politics with family.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nothing better than buying Chinese furniture with a Federal Reserve Note "controlled" by China.

Some people just don't care. I try to get my junior Marines interested in politics without pushing for Ron Paul. I just want to see them be involved in the process. But they don't care, they put more attention into following sports than who their next President is going to be. And these are people who have to deal with the wars that get started. If they can't be motivated than who can? Sometimes I feel like its not worth it, you know? Maybe the oligarchs are on to something, maybe the average person really is too dumb and lazy to be worried about. I still have hope though... but its wearing thin.

Lightbulb

Here is my take on the situation,

The term Anti-war pacifist is a term frequently used to ostracize the few having the courage to speak out and question the irrationality of our foreign policy. One that has not only bankrupted our nation, but also left 5,000 Americans troops killed, countless civilians dead, and many others wounded, based on some preconceived notion that we should be the "policemen" of the world!! Horse$#@!!

Generally, those who support disastrous "stay the course" foriegn policy lack the basic understanding and knowledge of what war is really like, why it occurs, and how it feels to have other people angry enough to kill you.

It has been almost 7 years now since my first combat deployment, which was to Afghanistan with the 15th MEU (SOC) 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, and 4 years now since my last second visit to Iraq. Since then nothing has changed, things continue to get progressively worse because of our “unwelcomed” military involvement in the region.

For years now we have been meddling in the affairs of other nations, propping up puppet dictatorships, getting into the business of nation-building, and promoting welfare dependency around the world.

We need to stop playing welfare Santa Claus with the entire world!

There are plenty of reasons, more than ever, as to why we should be minding our own business here at home. -- economy, health care, crime, illegal immigration, poverty, even homeless war veterans out on the streets. This is an OUTRAGE!

In theory, "National Security" should address every one of these important issues, yet, we continue to fight a so-called “War on Terror” and continue to pay the consequences here at home...

A price so great, that has even undermined our Constitution and compromised individual freedom and liberty.

If you do not think what I am saying is true, I suggest you take a close look at this.

A) Corrupt the young: get them away from religion. Get them interested in sex. Make them superficial; destroy their ruggedness.

B) Get control of all means of publicity. thereby:
    • Divide the people into hostile groups by constantly harping on controversial matters of no importance.
    • Destroy the people’s faith in their leaders by holding them up to contempt,ridicule and obliquity.
    • Always preach true democracy, but, seize’ power as fast and as ruthlessly as possible.
    • By encouraging government extravagance, destroy its credit,“produce fear of inflation with rising prices and general discontent.
    • Foment unnecessary strikes in vital industries, encourage civil disorders and foster lenient and soft attitudes on the part of the government towards such disorders.
    • By specious argument, cause the breakdown of the old moral virtues of honesty,sobriety, continence, faith in the pledged word.

C) Cause the registration of all firearms on some pretext with the view of confiscating them and leaving the population helpless.

Sound familiar??? Google "Communist Rules for Revolution"

You may want to share the following links with your friends.

Why We Fight
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...69348838274375

Zeitgeist: Part Three (Men Behind the Curtain)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__YFnUfYXZk

s/f
    Last edited by sharedvoice; 11-27-2007 at 04:14 AM.
    U.S. Marine for Ron Paul
    Defend the Constitution
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate

Google "Hanoi McCain"

You could tell people in your family when the subject comes up (or if not when you bring it up) that the only Christmas present you will accept is a pledge to vote for Ron Paul and nothing else is worth a penny to you. I guarantee that will lead to your family members telling others about Paul even if they don't vote for him! That would be my strategy.