Thread: Massie advises tea partiers to lay off Mitch McConnell

Massie advises tea partiers to lay off Mitch McConnell

http://www.wfpl.org/post/congressman...itch-mcconnell

Kentucky Republican Congressman Thomas Massie is advising Tea Party activists to think twice before waging a primary challenge to Senator Mitch McConnell next year.

The freshman lawmaker was heavily backed by the Tea Party in his race for the Fourth Congressional District seat last year.

Massie is often mentioned as a potential 2014 Senate candidate, and has flexed a level of independence from the GOP establishment. He voted against Speaker John Boehner and recently opposed the Ryan budget plan because it wasn't conservative enough.

But Massie has repeatedly turned down offers to run and told reporters on multiple occasions he isn’t interested.

And in an interview with WFPL, he says Tea Party activists in Kentucky who want to continue to have an impact on national politics should reconsider their opposition to McConnell.

"My advice to people who are frustrated with Washington is that there’s probably a better way to spend your time, effort, money, blood, sweat and tears than trying to have Senator McConnell unelected. I think there are a lot better chances and better use of your time in terms of changing Washington, D.C.," he says.

Louisville businessman Matthew Bevin has been a rumored primary challenger to McConnell in recent weeks. He is reportedly courting Tea Party groups, and is meeting with activists in Lexington sometime next week.

Massie says he is supporting McConnell for re-election and isn't interested in meeting with Bevin at this point, adding no credible candidate has emerged to take on Kentucky’s senior senator.

"I think you’ve got a lot of Kentuckians who aren’t ready to vote for somebody new that won’t have the positions that Senator McConnell has. And certainly they’re not ready to vote for somebody with liberal positions like Ashley Judd," he says.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Before people jump on Thomas about this, realize that Ron Paul made some pretty awful endorsements too and wasn't as "pure" as we all make him out to be:

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

TMass is just backing Rand, no biggie. And he's right, Tea parties all across the country should be saving up to take out Graham and perhaps a handful of other races.

LOL -- you don't tell a cat that scratches everything - to not scratch the golden couch. This man has piled up a many enemies over the years. I'm not one of them. But knowing the personalities, he is going to need a new pair of shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    TMass is just backing Rand, no biggie. And he's right, Tea parties all across the country should be saving up to take out Graham and perhaps a handful of other races.
    Why would we fight for democratic seats. Even if we agree with them on a few issues - there is a fundamental difference in philosophy? We want to replace republicans with republicans. Massie has too of realized this movement isn't top down. He and Amash are we my money is at - but this just seems like a dumb move.

Having an "old bull" like McConnell working with Rand on stuff rather than guys like McCain is a huge coup d'état for the Tea Party. I still think McConnell is seeing the popular influence of guys like Rand/Lee/Amash/Massie. Let's try fixing the bridge instead of throwing a bunch of torches on it, while rolling the dice to see who we get next.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

My partial translation:

'If we support him in 2014, he may help clear the field for me to take over his seat in 2020'
    I ignore the fact that RP's take back the GOP strategy is working. I ignore the fact that RP accomplished more from his 2008 GOP run than he ever has before. I ignore the fact that 3rd party candidates lose and are a joke to voters. I ignore all this b/c I have an arousing fantasy where RP runs 3rd party in 2012, magically polls at 15%, magically is allowed in the debates, and then magically wins the election. Trust me, it'll work this time.
    - The naive attitude of too many RPF members

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Before people jump on Thomas about this, realize that Ron Paul made some pretty awful endorsements too and wasn't as "pure" as we all make him out to be:

And he answered that question in such a way as to make it obvious that his supporters really probably shouldn't vote for smith.

Quote Originally Posted by talkingpointes View Post
    Why would we fight for democratic seats. Even if we agree with them on a few issues - there is a fundamental difference in philosophy? We want to replace republicans with republicans. Massie has too of realized this movement isn't top down. He and Amash are we my money is at - but this just seems like a dumb move.
    "Republicans" (Generic) are no better than "Democrats" (Generic.) The Republicans are more likely to have good politicians (Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Justin Amash, Thomas Massie, exc.) but also most likely to have absolutely abmissal guys like Graham, Bush, Cheney, exc. As bad as guys like Obama are I don't think the death toll there is as high as Bush's.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Having an "old bull" like McConnell working with Rand on stuff rather than guys like McCain is a huge coup d'état for the Tea Party. I still think McConnell is seeing the popular influence of guys like Rand/Lee/Amash/Massie. Let's try fixing the bridge instead of throwing a bunch of torches on it, while rolling the dice to see who we get next.
    Yeah but Mcconnell is the establishment literally. I used to fundraise for the RNC and Tony Feather for FLS here in Phoenix. MCcain has just fallen out of favor because of 08'. That was the year Coleman (minnesota) became a big name because they prolonged the election and a contested race -- that equals tons of dollars.

My problem isn't that Rand is teaming up with these people so much as what I'm almost sure they are going to do for his campaign and financing/fundraising in general. The RNC is so big because they are the gateholders to large email and contact lists for donors. They like the DNC can take someone like Obama and make him president in a year -- even if no one has ever heard of him. The RNC is going to take Rand places that I think are going to really taint this movement.

Has anyone else here worked for the RNC directly or involved with their day to day?
    Last edited by talkingpointes; 03-28-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Antimony View Post
    My partial translation:

'If we support him in 2014, he may help clear the field for me to take over his seat in 2020'
    little bit of this - little bit of that

policymic.com/articles/30271/gop-growth-and-opportunity-project-report-proves-republicans-are-divided

Call me negative or whatever. But you wont in 3 years call me wrong. The RNC is going to use Rand now it looks like to be the new party head. In some ways I think that's good in other ways they are going to use the collective credibility by proxy of Rand and his father to inject or infuse the party with new blood. But if this comes at the cost of our principles and we get a reagan in 11 years, I will consider this completely a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    And he answered that question in such a way as to make it obvious that his supporters really probably shouldn't vote for smith.

See sometimes you have to read between the lines with Ron just like you do with Rand.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

See sometimes you have to read between the lines with Ron just like you do with Rand.
    Wait! How dare you insinuate that there ever was a case of having to read between the lines with Ron!