Thread: Rep. Phil Gingrey Announces Senate Campaign, Bob Barr to Make Announcement Tomorrow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rep. Phil Gingrey Announces Senate Campaign, Bob Barr to Make Announcement Tomorrow

Congressman Gingrey launches his senate campaign today at 2:30 PM ET.

And as a result, Bob Barr tweeted this:

Bob Barr ‏@bobbarr 7m
    I will hold a news conference tomorrow at Adventure Outdoors where I will make a political announcement #gagop #gapol #Congress #nrcc #tcot

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is Gingrey any good?
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Is Gingrey any good?
    No. He is just pretending to be conservative so as not to be out-"righted" by Broun.

Is Gingrey any good?
    He's decent. Second best (of him, Broun, Kingston, and Price) after Broun on the John Birch Society Scorecard: http://www.jbs.org/voting-index/voting-index

Also, from Club for Growth, he is the second best: http://www.clubforgrowth.org/project...ny&memberName=

Well Barr pretty much sucks. He would be better than about half on civil liberties, I guess, but I expect it really depends on where Gingrey stands on those whether Gingrey would be better, imho.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Well Barr pretty much sucks. He would be better than about half on civil liberties, I guess, but I expect it really depends on where Gingrey stands on those whether Gingrey would be better, imho.
    Gingrey is running for Senate. Barr is running for Gingrey's house seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoa View Post
    Gingrey is running for Senate. Barr is running for Gingrey's house seat.
    Oh. Well, I wouldn't mobilize for Barr but he might be better than whomever else runs.... depending on who else runs.

Oh. Well, I wouldn't mobilize for Barr but he might be better than whomever else runs.... depending on who else runs.
    A lot of us in Georgia are still waiting on a few other candidates. There may be someone else better than Barr. (only a few though right now). I'm not 100% supporting him yet.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A lot of us in Georgia are still waiting on a few other candidates. There may be someone else better than Barr. (only a few though right now). I'm not 100% supporting him yet.
    I'd love better candidates. Barr has a couple of good points but he is neither a 'good' candidate nor trustworthy when the chips are down.

How does Bob Barr suck? And he would probably be the best in Congress on civil liberties considering that has been his focus for years.

I hope he and Broun get elected, and Georgia will be well represented.

Bob Barr for Gingrey is a good trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    Bob Barr for Gingrey is a good trade off.
    Barr will be top 3 at best, above average at worst. If he gets in.

State Senator Barry Loudermilk, who is big on the Constitution, is likely to run. But I need to know more about him(both of them frankly). Loudermilk will have to state his position on federal issues, and Barr will have to either affirm or change his platform from 2008.
    Last edited by TaftFan; 03-27-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Barr totally sucks. Barr supported freaking Gingrich fer crissake!
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Barr totally sucks. Barr supported freaking Gingrich fer crissake!
    Is the endorsement the main reason? Frankly he endorsed him because they go back a long time and Barr has a grudge against RP. The main focus should be the issues IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Is the endorsement the main reason? Frankly he endorsed him because they go back a long time and Barr has a grudge against RP. The main focus should be the issues IMO.
    Amen. (Also, if Loudermilk runs, I would have to consider either him or Barr...I'll have to see what each of them says, but at least we have good choices in this race).

Uh... he voted for the freaking patriot act? Supported the anti-gun brady bill? I can go on...
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Uh... he voted for the freaking patriot act? Supported the anti-gun brady bill? I can go on...
    Don't you think actively working against those things for a decade makes up for that? This was way before running for Libertarian nomination.

Now, I don't completely trust him, but I don't still view him as the late 90's congressman.

I have been following Barr on his facebook and website lately. He posts columns on his site.

https://www.facebook.com/libertybarr
    http://www.bobbarr.org/

I have been following Barr on his facebook and website lately. He posts columns on his site.

https://www.facebook.com/libertybarr
    http://www.bobbarr.org/
    He says one thing then does another. He ran LP in 2008 then endorsed Gingrich in 2012...

He says one thing then does another. He ran LP in 2008 then endorsed Gingrich in 2012...
    Rand endorsed an establishment GOP candidate, yet he's performing quite well.

This.

In 2008 it became pretty obvious what Bob Barr was all about. He quickly changed stances on issues to align himself with the Libertarian Party ticket in a matter of a single year in some cases. He also didn't show support for Ron Paul's 3rd party meeting conference by not even making an appearance, but was running on the LP ticket, which was peculiar.

The man has no spine and is a political player. He's playing the game to the full extent and there is no way to tell what he actually believes in. Even if you aren't supporting someone like Rand, there is far less ambiguity and you pretty much know where he stands.

Support Barr all you want or need, but it's important to know this about this man.

I'm sending out some questions to fellow Paul supporters about State Sen. Loudermilk to find out if he is a liberty candidate because I have noticed quite a few encouraging him to run against Barr. Stay tuned.

I'm sending out some questions to fellow Paul supporters about State Sen. Loudermilk to find out if he is a liberty candidate because I have noticed quite a few encouraging him to run against Barr. Stay tuned.
    Looking forward to getting your information.

Looking forward to getting your information.
    So far I have learned that he was the only person to co-sponsor the Constitutional Tender Bill that was introduced by Bobby Franklin.

And then there is this: He endorsed Newt (oh no!) because they have known each other for a long time but also likes Ron Paul.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can't support Barr because he already had his shot in Congress and blew it big time. On top of that the guy rubs me the wrong way, comes across as a complete opportunist. His snubbing of Ron's 2008 press conference still irks me to this day. What a jackass.
    Last edited by Bastiat's The Law; 03-28-2013 at 01:33 AM.

Barr is one smart cookie. If he runs as a liberty Republican he knows there is a growing movement that will mean he can raise cash and get endorsements (though him and RP have never got on so he can forget about that) but he'll be able to raise money and run a decent campaign. He will also be one of the best GOP congressman if he stuck to it.

whoopie Barr is a bi-sexual lp/gop. sleeps around and doesn't know which group to have sex with! Party Whore!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfNajFYPljQ
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

It's true that Barr is a shameless political opportunist but if he gets to Congress his 2nd stint will be a lot better I think considering all the stuff he's come out with the last few years. He can't seriously repudiate all that and go back to being a standard Republican.. Maybe he will once elected, who knows. I think we should take allies where we can find them and even if they're just opportunists.

Barry Loudermilk, who may run for Gingrey's seat, has a decent record. Here are some websites I found about him:

A Draft Page: https://www.facebook.com/draftLoudermilkUShouse

He was also endorsed by the Georgia Republican Liberty Caucus: http://www.barryloudermilk.com/PDF/rlcend.pdf

He also showed up on the 2012 list of endorsed candidates on DailyPaul: http://www.dailypaul.com/242897/upda...rty-candidates

http://www.barryloudermilk.com/Press/912endorsement.pdf
    http://www.upholdliberty.org/2011/11...rth-amendment/
    http://www.barryloudermilk.com/Press...20Qulifies.pdf
    http://rn-t.com/view/full_story/1913...ealth-care-law

In 2005, Loudermilk hit the ground running as a freshman legislator from northwest Georgia, by introducing and passing several key pieces of legislation, including repealing the requirement to submit fingerprints to get a Georgia drivers license, a measure which had been unable to be repealed through either chamber during the previous 10 years.

Loudermilk has continued to stand on key conservative principles such as less government, lower taxes, personal responsibility and liberty and justice, throughout his four years in the State House. Co-founder of the conservative 216 Group, he is
    recognized as one of the top conservative leaders under the Gold Dome. Loudermilk has sponsored legislation to protect private property rights, protect privacy rights of citizens, provide more accountability of government and reduce the tax burden on the citizens of Georgia.
    He also lost his leadership spot, when he refused to vote for the GOP Speaker's legislation:

Loudermilk was forced to give up his position as Deputy Majority Whip in 2007 when he would not compromise on certain legislative issues. His open opposition to Speaker Richardson’s Great Plan also had its price under the Gold Dome. “The principles of a legislator are more defined in what he opposes than in what he passes,” stated Loudermilk, about his principled opposition to
    legislation supported by leadership.
    I'll have to see his views on federal issues, but he may be one to watch for. He would be running against Barr for this seat.
    Last edited by Spoa; 03-28-2013 at 08:18 AM.

I chatted on FB last night with a state rep who is a Paul supporter and he hasn't made up his mind yet on Barr v. Loudermilk.

This is some good news though in the meantime: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/political...11th-district/

I asked Barr whether his late relationship with the Libertarian Party would prove a burden. He said absolutely not:

“Ronald Reagan said libertarianism with a small ‘l’ is at the heart of the Republican party. Smaller government, lower taxes, local control – all of those sort of things. Respect for civil liberties. That’s what Republicans have always stood for.”