Thread: Update on my Dominican Republic Move!

Update on my Dominican Republic Move!

A few months ago, I posted about looking at the DR as a place to move to to get out of the states, and enjoy a better life. I just arrived back in country yesterday, and wanted to share a few things with all here.

Firstly, the job interview went great, and they have offered me VP of Operations. Secondly, I HIGHLY suggest to any who have the means they seriously consider the DR as an alternative.

Bear in mind, the average income of a Dominican is around $400 per month, so it's not a place you really want to go without a job lined up (unless you are ok with living like an average Dominican.). There are jobs an American can get within their economy rather easily since English is your first language. They have call centers (much like the ones we outsource to India), and they pay $3 per hour. While not a lot, that is almost 3 times what the average resident makes. Also, if you are specialized in your skills, say like medical, you can easily get a job at a public or private health facility. A doctor makes around $30k per year there, but that allows for a VERY comfortable lifestlye. A lot of the companies there do love to hire Americans at American pay rates (like my deal), since the culture of the DR is not exactly work ethic driven. Many Americans there work for companies in managment positions because we don't tolerate poor work ethic from employees, as our companies and factories that we are accustomed to don't allow for that. These opportunities depend on your skill sets, experience, and fields. I am production management with a background in CNC machinery and automation robotics, with solid knowledge of PLC controls for example.

It's the Carribbians, where it's never winter and the average year temp is 77 degrees. Spanish is a plus, as that is the language of the country. I went scube diving, and our guide took us to real sunken pirate ships from Black Beard and Captain Kidd, which was simply incredible. I found a two story villa, 3 bedroom, 2 full bath, servant quarters, veranda, in my back yard is a coconut tree, a banana tree, and two avocado trees, and the rent is $275 a month! I have a video I took of it if someone wants to PM me an email, I can send so they can host on youtube for people here to see if they wish. As a resident (not a citizen), you are exempt from DR taxes as long as you make less than $95k per year, and there are ways under US tax law to avoid US taxes on top of that. Honestly, if you want to completely disappear from the grid, this is easily done there.

I personally love the food there, as they don't put all the anti-biotics, hormones, and chemicals in their food as we do here. More so, I would just send my driver (a personal driver and car costs about $300 a month), to the store and he would buy fresh cut meat daily when we cooked. As a matter of fact, all the food you get there is fresh, so all this healthy liviing, organic food, detoxify stuff people are into here in the US is simply normal food there. Oh...did I mention it's the Carribbian Islands? =)

As I said, I very much recommend it to people looking for an alternative to this hell hole prison we live in now called the United States. I would be happy to answer anyone's questions to the best of my limited ability (I am still learning things myself). It is the freest place I've ever been in my life, the country is gorgeous, the women are all gorgeous, I love the culture, the food, and there is SOOOO much opportunity there to make money for someone who of the mindset to make money.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds great!!

I don't speak more than a few phrases of Spanish, so it would be more awkward for me, but it sounds like a great place to spend a vacation!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Sounds great! Can people own firearms?

What part did you move to? I'm from there. Born and raised.

Maybe when I make my retirement nestegg I should go escape to the Caribbean before NWO kills us all with inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by KrokHead View Post
    Maybe when I make my retirement nestegg I should go escape to the Caribbean before NWO kills us all with inflation.
    St. Vincent perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by DaninPA View Post
    Sounds great! Can people own firearms?
    Yes, and no guns other than automatics are banned. However all firearms must be registered/licensed and that license must be renewed yearly.

Concealed and open carry are allowed with permits.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    A few months ago, I posted about looking at the DR as a place to move to to get out of the states, and enjoy a better life. I just arrived back in country yesterday, and wanted to share a few things with all here.

Firstly, the job interview went great, and they have offered me VP of Operations. Secondly, I HIGHLY suggest to any who have the means they seriously consider the DR as an alternative.

Bear in mind, the average income of a Dominican is around $400 per month, so it's not a place you really want to go without a job lined up (unless you are ok with living like an average Dominican.). There are jobs an American can get within their economy rather easily since English is your first language. They have call centers (much like the ones we outsource to India), and they pay $3 per hour. While not a lot, that is almost 3 times what the average resident makes. Also, if you are specialized in your skills, say like medical, you can easily get a job at a public or private health facility. A doctor makes around $30k per year there, but that allows for a VERY comfortable lifestlye. A lot of the companies there do love to hire Americans at American pay rates (like my deal), since the culture of the DR is not exactly work ethic driven. Many Americans there work for companies in managment positions because we don't tolerate poor work ethic from employees, as our companies and factories that we are accustomed to don't allow for that. These opportunities depend on your skill sets, experience, and fields. I am production management with a background in CNC machinery and automation robotics, with solid knowledge of PLC controls for example.

It's the Carribbians, where it's never winter and the average year temp is 77 degrees. Spanish is a plus, as that is the language of the country. I went scube diving, and our guide took us to real sunken pirate ships from Black Beard and Captain Kidd, which was simply incredible. I found a two story villa, 3 bedroom, 2 full bath, servant quarters, veranda, in my back yard is a coconut tree, a banana tree, and two avocado trees, and the rent is $275 a month! I have a video I took of it if someone wants to PM me an email, I can send so they can host on youtube for people here to see if they wish. As a resident (not a citizen), you are exempt from DR taxes as long as you make less than $95k per year, and there are ways under US tax law to avoid US taxes on top of that. Honestly, if you want to completely disappear from the grid, this is easily done there.

I personally love the food there, as they don't put all the anti-biotics, hormones, and chemicals in their food as we do here. More so, I would just send my driver (a personal driver and car costs about $300 a month), to the store and he would buy fresh cut meat daily when we cooked. As a matter of fact, all the food you get there is fresh, so all this healthy liviing, organic food, detoxify stuff people are into here in the US is simply normal food there. Oh...did I mention it's the Carribbian Islands? =)

As I said, I very much recommend it to people looking for an alternative to this hell hole prison we live in now called the United States. I would be happy to answer anyone's questions to the best of my limited ability (I am still learning things myself). It is the freest place I've ever been in my life, the country is gorgeous, the women are all gorgeous, I love the culture, the food, and there is SOOOO much opportunity there to make money for someone who of the mindset to make money.
    Is this just the neo-plantation with a neo-slave owner though? It just seems immoral by virtue of birth and skin color you get to live like a God with personal drivers and such. My $0.02 pesos.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is it a requirement to have a job to move there or do they allow people with some $$ in the bank to live there also? I'm not rich but I sure could afford 275 per month for rent for a long, long time...lol. How the electricity bill (they do have electricity right....lol)? Water? How does one get around town? Bus system?

I'm so jealous right now .

Do most people speak some English also?

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    Bear in mind, the average income of a Dominican is around $400 per month

They have call centers (much like the ones we outsource to India), and they pay $3 per hour. While not a lot, that is almost 3 times what the average resident makes.
    Wow! Thanks for this post!

A few questions if you have a minute:

40 hours per week at $3/hr is about $520 per month, which is not 3 X $400. Just trying to get a handle on relative incomes there...

Also, any idea what the yearly firearm registering involves?

I know a lot of Americans move to Mexico for retirement, for example. Why would those folks not choose the DR instead? i.e. why aren't more people doing the DR move, in your opinion (or maybe there are a lot)?

What is your sense of the corruption level in the police & local government, courts, etc.?

Crime level? Gang presence?

Does one need a work visa or something? How long is it good for?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by anaconda; 03-27-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abacabb View Post
    St. Vincent perhaps?
    It's hot. Hopefully NWO is Bloomberg style and not Alex Jones police state 3 style.

For those with a slew of questions on the DR, go to a well updated forum called DR1.com
    Just about anything you need to know can be found there.

I'm actually Dominican. My parents were born and raised in DR, moved over here in the mid 80s. I grew up over here but learned fluent spanish and have been there a bunch of times. what part are you going to move to?

i don't think you can get by only by knowing English. learning spanish is a must. also the crime rate can be really bad depending on where you live. i say stay in the capital especially if you're white. they can and would take advantage of you. also you should carry a gun with you at all times, just in case. my family is generally non-violent, we don't own any guns at all out here and none of us are in gangs....but all of my family there carry guns when they're out and about out there.

i've actually been thinking of getting my dual citizenship over there (parents were both born there so i'm eligible pretty easily) in case if things get too $#@!ty over here.

to the guy that asked this..

"What is your sense of the corruption level in the police & local government, courts, etc.?"

it sucks and it always will suck. the police can be paid off if you offer them enough, and the current president is a basically a figurehead for the last one (Leonel Fernandez) from what i've heard.

Leonel was elected right after Balaguer in 1996, who was the right hand man of the dictator Trujillo [debatable]. Originally in dominican law, i don't think presidents were allowed to be re-elected, so the next president made an amendment to the constitution that basically allowed Leonel to run again for president. He won again the next election and the reelection after that. then the current president (in leonel's party) ran and won, and now Leonel seems to be pushing for another run for presidency in 2016

so that's one guy as president from 1996-2000 and then again from 2004-2012. and potentially from 2016 and on?

its always seemed to me that DR has a bad habit of getting dictatored. the dude before him[Balaguer] was president from 1966-1978, then from 1986-1996. and the guy before him was the ruthless dictator trujillo.

the country is great, just politically its a mess IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by itssimplyjeff View Post
    I'm actually Dominican. My parents were born and raised in DR, moved over here in the mid 80s. I grew up over here but learned fluent spanish and have been there a bunch of times. what part are you going to move to?

i don't think you can get by only by knowing English. learning spanish is a must. also the crime rate can be really bad depending on where you live. i say stay in the capital especially if you're white. they can and would take advantage of you. also you should carry a gun with you at all times, just in case. my family is generally non-violent, we don't own any guns at all out here and none of us are in gangs....but all of my family there carry guns when they're out and about out there.

i've actually been thinking of getting my dual citizenship over there (parents were both born there so i'm eligible pretty easily) in case if things get too $#@!ty over here.

to the guy that asked this..

"What is your sense of the corruption level in the police & local government, courts, etc.?"

it sucks and it always will suck. the police can be paid off if you offer them enough, and the current president is a basically a figurehead for the last one (Leonel Fernandez) from what i've heard.

Leonel was elected right after Balaguer in 1996, who was the right hand man of the dictator Trujillo [debatable]. Originally in dominican law, i don't think presidents were allowed to be re-elected, so the next president made an amendment to the constitution that basically allowed Leonel to run again for president. He won again the next election and the reelection after that. then the current president (in leonel's party) ran and won, and now Leonel seems to be pushing for another run for presidency in 2016

so that's one guy as president from 1996-2000 and then again from 2004-2012. and potentially from 2016 and on?

its always seemed to me that DR has a bad habit of getting dictatored. the dude before him[Balaguer] was president from 1966-1978, then from 1986-1996. and the guy before him was the ruthless dictator trujillo.

the country is great, just politically its a mess IMO.

Yeah, the police is very corrupt. I lived there 'till I was 11. I don't think I would live there again, but the family that I still have left over there, do all right. If you have money, you can live just fine over there.

Yes, the police are ungodly corrupt.

And regarding me "taking advantage of people" there because I make more money....I pay my driver top wages for a resident, and help his family out whenever I can. Before, he drove the streets at night hoping he would make some money. Now he has a guaranteed income. You call it living like a god. I call it a mutually beneficial relationship.

And my job is in Santiago.

Oh, nice. I have alot of family over there. Its more in the mountains in "Janico" (near san jose de las matas). Also,i think you misread what i said. I didn't say you were taking advantage of people, i meant that they'll try to take advantage of you. i think it's great that you're doing that. its a good deal because you don't really know the roads and you can avoid the dangerous parts or "traps" that gangs can set up. also you're being a job maker and helping out a family a ton. a couple dollars really does make a huge difference in living quality over there.

I meant more at the airports they will legit see your jacket, umbrella or look through your luggage and if they see something they like, they'll say its not allowed on the plane (so they can keep it) and give you tons of $#@! unless you slip em a couple of dollars.

generally speaking they view american's as rich as hell and think we have unlimited money. what they don't know is that out here we work 40-60 hour weeks so a lot of times when they come here, they're in for a rude awakening. that said, a lot of the ones that stay out there don't really know that and think that you're loaded for no reason. so basically they "smell the american-ness" on you and they'll try take advantage of you. they can do this multiple ways, by saying "pay me in dollars" or charge you more in pesos than they would their other customers. i meant it more as a heads up. it would happen to me over there as well, and i know fluent spanish and dominican culture. we just carry ourselves differently.

last tip...if you're going to move down there, make sure you get a mosquito net for your bed, a back up generator for power (the lights tend to go out there often, at least it was like that the last time I went) and get a machete/bat for tarantulas and other bugs.

goodluck over there. if i ever decide to make the move, i'll PM you! it's always nice to have english speaking friends haha

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Naw, wasn't talking to you about that man. That was for the abacabb what's his name with his immoral slavery allusion.

Most of the crime there is either property crime (theft), or domestic violence. Strangley, there isn't a lot of male on male violence. I'm lucky in that the guy I hired as my driver lived in the US for a few years, so he knows the stereotype of Americans all being born rich isn't true. He always looks out for me when people try to apply the "gringo tax". I experiened the black outs while there, and already have made arrangements to have inverters installed at the house. I also experienced them shutting the water off due to low water reserves due to poor rain, so I also have a 150 gallon tank being built on the roof to allow me to store water whenever it may be shut off.

However, generally speaking, the people are very friendly and try to do you right. But, when your main economic boon is tourism, the last thing they want is people going home and telling their friends to never go there. And almost all of the Dominicans will never see the US. It has become almost impossible for a Dominican to get a visa. Which is why I've had to warn my 16 year old son about the women, because he is nothing more than a walking meal ticket to them, and a guaranteed visa.

I absolutely love it there. And even with the police being shady, that can also be a plus. Sure, they'll try to roust tourists or people new to the country, but that is because those people don't know the laws. And most people when in a foreign country simply want to avoid trouble. It's already been made very clear to me though that the traffic police do not take bribes, so it's best to steer clear of them.

And honestly, I didn't really see any bugs or mosquitos there.