Thread: Gifford's Dog Kills Baby Seal

Gifford's Dog Kills Baby Seal

http://news.yahoo.com/giffords-husba...025912905.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The daughter of former astronaut Mark Kelly was walking her dog Shiner on Goff Island Beach when the dog bolted, ripping the leash from her hand and fatally attacking a beached baby sea lion.

Video showed the owner and two other women struggling several minutes in vain to pull the dog off the sea lion. As his daughter screamed and cried, Kelly arrived and grabbed the collar. He shook the dog's head until it released the bloodied mammal, which later died.

Kelly is married to former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was wounded in a shooting in Tucson, Ariz., in 2011. His daughters, Claudia and Claire, are from a previous marriage.

Laguna Beach police said they did not plan to press charges because it did not appear the owner was at fault in the attack Saturday, Capt. Jason Kravetz said Tuesday. The bulldog mix was leashed and legally on the beach below the exclusive Montage Resort.

A necropsy was performed at the Pacific Marine Mammal Center and results were turned over to the National Marine Fish Services, a spokeswoman for the marine mammal center said late Tuesday. Attempts to contact a spokeswoman at that agency did not succeed because her voicemail was full.

In addition, Laguna Beach police checked with Texas authorities, where the dog and his owner live, and found Shiner had a clean record. Kravetz said there were no prior attacks or even any nuisance calls.

If there had been a history of aggression, authorities could have taken action against the dog.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration also does not expect to take legal action, spokesman Jim Milbury said.

"We will have to wait for all the facts to come in, but it appears to be an unfortunate accident," he said.

Federal law protects marine animals. The state has no jurisdiction, a spokeswoman said.

Earlier in the day Saturday, officers had removed the same sea lion from a storm drain, Kravetz said.

"This is a regrettable and traumatic incident for the animals and the people involved," said Madeline Bernstein, president of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles. "Perhaps this will lead to more research and recommendations for peaceful coexistence between domestic animals and local wildlife."

Chasing, hunting or attacking animals like cats and squirrels comes naturally to some dogs, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said in a statement. In this case it was a vulnerable sea lion.

If the dog has not shown any other signs of aggression, the family should take new precautions and do all they can to make sure no future incidents occur. "But they should not punish the dog," the statement said.

Giffords was not present during the attack, according to a spokeswoman for the gun control advocacy group the couple recently started.

"Mark was alerted to the situation and came to the beach himself," said Jen Bluestein of Americans for Responsible Solutions.

Gun advocates seized on the incident to criticize Kelly, who has called for background checks for gun buyers.

Several people suggested on his Facebook page Tuesday that background checks might also be considered for dogs whose owners can't control them or those that are a threat to the public. Kravetz said he had gotten several similar calls throughout the day.

--------

This article is full of win...

Also, if the dog belonged to one of us ordinary people.. It would've been shot or killed.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Meh. It was her daughter's dog.

WTF? Who takes a video of that $#@!.
    Rand Paul 2016

BAN ALL DOGS

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    BAN ALL DOGS
    only assault dogs, or dogs whose torsos hold more than 2 legs.

Guarantee you if you or I had that happen, we'd be charged with all kinds of stuff.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Guarantee you if you or I had that happen, we'd be charged with all kinds of stuff.
    Trust and believe if my dog ate a seal, no one would know about it.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by VBRonPaulFan View Post
    only assault dogs, or dogs whose torsos hold more than 2 legs.
    You don't need a 50 pound dog! A nice little poodle is more than enough.

Big dogs should only be kept by police and military.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Background checks for dog owners. Ban assault dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post

The Constitution was not written with 20th century dogs like golden retrievers in mind!

Another experiment?

To see how easy it would be for a dog to kill a beached baby sea lion?

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by Danan View Post
    The Constitution was not written with 20th century dogs like golden retrievers in mind!
    That's right!

Our knowledge of genetics and selective breeding has given rise to certain breeds our Founding Fathers could not have imagined!
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

That's right!

Our knowledge of genetics and selective breeding has given rise to certain breeds our Founding Fathers could not have imagined!
    What's next? Should private citizens be allowed to keep rams and bulls? Everybody knows that only federal agents could possibly handle those beasts safely!

yeah.. the main reason i posted it is that

Normal people would be charged and/or dog would be shot or euthanized. Get real... They are saying that the seal was going to die anyways and that the dog's "superficial" bites was not the cause of death.

And the last part of the story, where.. people want background checks before people can own a dog >.>

Shouldn't it be the other way?, cause some small dogs are pretty aggressive.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Now Gabby can lobby to criminalize all beached baby seals, dog walking, and assault dogs.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Quote Originally Posted by Grubb556 View Post
    Shouldn't it be the other way?, cause some small dogs are pretty aggressive.
    We don't need sub-dogs either. They are too concealable.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

If this were the dog of a mundane, the dog would be dead and the owner would be headed to court to expect a calamitous fine and a jail sentence to remember.

Did you see the way they tried to pull the sea lion out of the dogs mouth? These people are hopeless, they killed the sea lion with their stupidity.

Gee, my kids know how to be responsible with their dogs just like my kids are responsible with their firearms.

If your own family can't even handle a stinkin' dog you certainly have no leg to stand on telling me and mine what we can or can't own.

Get stuffed.
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 03-27-2013 at 02:16 AM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Wow, look at how PETA did a 180 when it came to the poor baby seal. Moral of the story, if you are going to skin an animal, have an Obama sticker.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

in the water sea lion eats dog. I fail to see the big deal.
    Best of luck in life.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    in the water sea lion eats dog. I fail to see the big deal.
    Getting even on his home turf. lol!

Banned

Blog Entries
    I've never seen a gun attack someone, but I have seen a dog attack someone, and it was almost fatal.