Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sheriff in Town?

New Sheriff in Town?

Our local sheriff has only been in office one term. You don't hear to much from their office, except they are very behind on CC permits, and he did put a letter in the local paper blaming it on sick employees on leave. I have a little history with the guy. He's got a ridiculous temper, he was our Chief of Boro police before the sheriff gig. He just mentioned to a mutual friend that he wants the Sheriff's office to have more POWER and CONTROL over law enforcement, DUI checkpoints, drug arrests, etc.... So I'm bummed.

Anyway, last week I noticed a full page ad in both our local papers for someone actually running against him. NO ONE ever runs against incumbents around here. So I find he has a Facebook page, and upon checking it out, think he sounds way better than what we've got. There were several Paulesque talking points, and he stressed the protection of our 2A rights. So far so good.

I send him a message, and told him I'd be interesting in chatting with him about a few things, and how could I help? Anyway, He's coming over at 1:00 today. I have some good local campaign literature to give him to read, and thought I'd also slip him my copy of Sheriff Mack's book (that one's signed, I want it back).

I also pulled some libertarian literature off the shelves. I'm going to let him have the pick of my liberty library, which is pretty extensive. I'm curious to see what he may be interested in.

I'm hoping this guy is the real deal. All I really know about him is he is not really fundraising, apparently he can finance his own campaign, he talks the right stuff and he's retired Army, but he looks younger, maybe early 40s. I'm really looking forward to this. Our small rural county is dirty to the core politically, it is VERY difficult to break in. We did have a County Comissioner upset the applecart in Nov who won running as an independent, ousting the lone Democrat.

What would you guys ask?
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Eagles' Wings

This may sound silly - I would have someone else in the house with you - even if just a neighbor sitting in the kichen. Gives both of you protection and accountability.

Ask him what type of person he thinks will be most successful in this position?

What are the biggest problems he sees in the present administration?

Have him describe his management style.

He is applying for a job and this could be one his preliminary job interviews.

Take notes.

I'll be praying for you around that time today. God bless.

Bump. Can I get a little help, here?
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

Eagles' Wings

What issues have the highest priority?

Does he have a plan to accomplish his goals?

Does he have the patience, traits, skills to succeed? (We have a great example in Ron Paul, here)

My husband will be here. Good ideas. Thanks for the prayers.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

I wish you the best in this conversation.

Use your instincts and follow the flow of conversation, don't forget to really listen (for subtle things). You will have more questions within an hour after he leaves than you do now. "Why did he say that the way that he did", "Was there something he was trying to say, there, that I need to think about", etc... (from experience).

You may need a 2nd or 3rd visit (I did, with a state senate candidate).
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Is he single? Just kidding I know u are happily married

Anyway, I would ask him

How is he going to make the PD more transparent?
    Is he open to the idea of creating an independent body(if you don't already have one) to keep an eye on the police?

Just something along that line because I believe a good cop is a cop who knows the public is watching and will crucify not protect him if he decides to go rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Is he single? Just kidding I know u are happily married

Anyway, I would ask him

How is he going to make the PD more transparent?
    Is he open to the idea of creating an independent body(if you don't already have one) to keep an eye on the police?

Just something along that line because I believe a good cop is a cop who knows the public is watching and will crucify not protect him if he decides to go rouge.
    I have a great "IN" for that. One of our local cops just got allowed back on the force after he went to his wife's boyfriend's house on duty in his patrol vehicle and beat the $#@! out of the guy. I'll ask him how he feels about that.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'm loaning him my autographed copy
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

Well?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Well... He's better than what we've got for sure. He sounds very receptive to learning. He's big on budget transparency and 2A. He was interested in Mack's book. There will be further discussion. His heart is in the right place.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

Keep us updated.

What would be his reaction if people would follow him and record him with phones?

Some ...ahem...people... here are starting "new trend": signing contracts with politicians...He signs it you vote for him. He breaks contract he pays a lot and quits the job. Basic stuff in it (citizen review board,no increasing of the budget etc.) It is also good campaign strategy. He is not just promising he is being legally tied to it. People tend to respond well to that.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Cool, I look forward to updates...please

Ask him what changes he would make to the way things are currently done.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Paul stopped by to chat for a few just a while ago. He read Mack's book and it got him pumped. He's not a politician, he's a retired businessman. He really wants to do things with our Sheriff's office. I don't know that he completely gets it, but he is coming around. With that said, hes donating 1$ for every facebook like he gets on his page to our local VFWs, so anyone so inclined give him a look, and perhaps a like. He is INFINITELY better than our incumbent . And he's not looking to fund raise at all, it's all out of pocket.

http://www.facebook.com/PaulWatkinsF...ref=ts&fref=ts
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump for early evening. See above please.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    Well... He's better than what we've got for sure. He sounds very receptive to learning. He's big on budget transparency and 2A. He was interested in Mack's book. There will be further discussion. His heart is in the right place.
    Rock on, Kat!
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

How many people voted for sheriff last time? How many was needed to win?

If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

There were 3 candidates in the last Republican primary. No dems. They garnered 459, 1192 and 2682. This time we have two.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

In the general in Nov. he got 5949 un opposed.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

There were 3 candidates in the last Republican primary. No dems. They garnered 459, 1192 and 2682. This time we have two.
    In the general in Nov. he got 5949 un opposed.
    Hm. Pretty small race. In small electinos like this money+activists pretty much guarantee success (here).If he truly has the money all he needs is activists/volunteers and he should win it. Having those 2 persuading cca. 3000 people to vote for him shouldnt be (big) a problem.

Well the Facebook likes are currently 365 Paul and 79 his opponent. It is almost unheard of to unseat an incumbent in this county. They are more like lifetime appointments.
    Last edited by kathy88; 03-28-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoa View Post
    When's the election?
    May 21
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

Saw this on his facebook:

Paul Watkins for Tioga County Sheriff
    A friend of our campaign recently loaned me a short book entitled "The County Sheriff - America's Last Hope" by Sheriff Richard Mack of Graham County, AZ.

Sheriff Mack contends that the county sheriff has a duty to protect his/her constituent's Constitutional Rights. He writes:

"The Brady Bill was passed by Congress and signed in to law by President Clinton. This law literally forced each sheriff to become a pawn for the Federal Government and to do their bidding to promote gun control within our jurisdictions. Even more astounding was the fact that no funds were allocated for us to do this work and the Brady Bill contained a provision to arrest us if we failed to comply. Wow! So here's the US Congress making an unconstitutional gun control law, requiring a county official to enforce and pay for it, and then threatening to arrest him if he refuses! What a government!

To make a long story short, I was the first sheriff in this nation to file a lawsuit to stop the Brady Bill to end this nonsense and abuse."

As you know, the Brady Bill was struck down in the Supreme Court. Thank you, Sheriff Mack.

Obviously, the county Sheriff is an important position. But did you know that Sheriff's swear an oath to "defend the Constitution?"

Pennsylvania Sheriffs are elected. They answer to no one but the voters and their conscience.

When it comes to defending your God-given rights, the rights you were born with, I will stand up as a loud, vocal critic to preserve our freedoms. I will rock the boat. I will make waves. I am not looking to gain an elected office and wait things out until retirement.

Have you ever heard anyone at the Courthouse speak out for your rights?

I was psyched when I read that. If FB likes are an indicator he's got over 400 and incumbent is trying for 100.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

Our local sheriff race is getting pretty interesting. The incumbent's supporters are acting irrationally and are justbeing downright rotten. (Shades of RNC). It's like neocon central. The challenger, however (who I'm behind 100% after everything that has happened) is handling himself like a true gentleman. Apparently at a tea party panel last night candidates from the larger races (sheriff, Prothonotary (Clerk of Courts) and Treasurer. I was unable to attend, but apparently the challenger was attacked pretty brutally by several county employees (one a deputy, one a clerk in the present Sheriff's office, and others). The only thing they could really say, though, was that he doesn't have LE experience, which in my mind and probably most everyone here is that is a BONUS. They said he's not qualified. They said he's unrealistic. They said he doesn't know what he's talking about. And they threatened to quit if he is elected. YEAH!!! SEE YA.

There's currently a facebook "debate" which can get heated at times. Our fearless incumbent is shooting for 175 likes, Paul has over 850. So ifyou haven't already, if you aren't my FB "friend" can you please take a minute to like, share and/or comment on his page?

The latest from the opposition is that "yeah, he might have a lot of FB likes, but those people are not in touch with reality and don't leave their houses." Whatever. If anyone wants to check out the incumbent's page, pm me and I'll send it to you.

https://www.facebook.com/PaulWatkins...ocation=stream
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

Ask him who he thinks has a better chance of making the county a better place to live, him or the pastor at the local church.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

I wanted to share Paul's latest FB post with y'all. Things are getting UGLY around here and it's a freaking blast to watch and be a part of.

I want to say a word to the people stealing our lawn signs. Well, two words: Thank you!

There are 600 of those signs around the county. They are in Gaines, Potter Brook, Morris, Liberty, Tioga, and in every borough and township. You are saving us a lot of trouble. Please dispose of them properly.

Seriously, by stealing those signs, you do absolutely nothing to damage our campaign. The only thing you accomplish is to make an honorable man, Sheriff Young, look bad. He's probably more upset by this nonsense than me. But the garbage you threw in my lawn does have a receipt with a time stamp from the Wellsboro Mini-Mart.

Along that vein, allow me to rant to the rest of our political opposition. Why are you so angry? Our campaign simply has a different perspective than you.

Is it really so bad that someone is challenging the way we do things? Well, get used to it.

You make a point of saying I am running for office because it's "on my bucket list." Here's something else on my bucket list - I intend to make sure no one ever runs unopposed for a county-wide office again. I am going to make sure people have a choice when they vote.

This campaign, and our thousands of supporters, expect more from the courthouse. We expect more than politicians who stay in office long after they run out of ideas that better the county. We expect more than politicians seeking a paycheck and a cushy retirement.

You want to know why voter turnout is so low? Why people are so apathetic? It's because you entrenched few and your very vocal, angry supporters have exerted control in the county for so long, and so completely, that people feel like their voices and their votes don't matter.

I intend to change that.

I intend, with the support of this campaign, and those thousands of silent voters, to seek out candidates for every county office, during every election cycle. We intend to make every incumbent work to keep their job. Yes, we intend to make them spend money on a campaign. We intend to make them organize and garner support from the people.

With the input of our supporters, we will seek out candidates. Housewives, teachers, small business owners, retirees, gasline workers, machinists, dock workers, truckers, office workers, waitstaff, farmers, bartenders, and anyone else who feels under-represented or ignored, will all be asked to get involved. If any of them want to run for office, we will help them. Maybe we can even start a political action committee just for that purpose.

If you don't like me or my ideas, or the goals and ideas of our campaign, I get it. Vote for the other guy. Campaign for the other guy. But our campaign will continue to talk about ideas and goals. And we will do so long after May 21st.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast