Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul: I don't promote marijuana

Rand Paul: I don't promote marijuana

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politi...na-160075.html

Quote Originally Posted by Politico
    "Look, the last two presidents could have conceivably been put in jail for their drug use and I really think - look what would've happened, it would've ruined their lives. They got lucky. But a lot of poor kids, particularly in the inner city, don't get lucky and they don't have good attorneys and they go to jail for some of these things and I think it's a big mistake,” the Kentucky Republican said on Fox’s “Fox News Sunday.”

Paul said that he doesn’t support people using marijuana but said he also doesn’t necessarily support putting them in jail for extended periods of time.

"There are people in jail for 37, 50, 45 years for nonviolent crimes and that's a huge mistake," Paul said. "Our prisons are full of non-violent criminals. I don't want to encourage people to do it. I think even marijuana is a bad thing to do. I think it takes away your incentive to work and show up and do the things that you should be doing. I don't think that it's a good idea."

“I don't want to promote that but I also don't want to put people in jail who make a mistake," he added. "There are a lot of young people who do this and then later on in their twenties they grow up and get married and they quit doing things like this. I don't want to put them in jail and ruin their lives."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thought it was funny how Mike Wallace corrected Rand by saying the last three presidents and included that he "Didn't inhale".
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

Dannnos not gonna be happy

medicine
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Dannnos not gonna be happy
    I'd imagine Danno will realize that a politician cannot take a stronger stance than the one he's taking. I mean, he also isn't going to go up there and say "Drinking alcohol is great!".

Stick to the victimless crimes, dangers of prohibition, and medicinal benefits. Those are strong arguments in themselves without painting yourself into a corner preaching "it's no big deal" to people who still think it is. He can tip-toe around its harmlessness, but he will be smeared if he acts like he endorses the behavior.
    I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than be living as a puppet or a slave - Peter Tosh

The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...

lol mentioned g.w bush's drug use. that is kind of in bad taste. I don't think g.w bush owned up to it like Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Paulicy View Post
    Thought it was funny how Mike Wallace corrected Rand by saying the last three presidents and included that he "Didn't inhale".
    That was hilarious!
    Knowledge is Liberty!

Marijuana handles its own promotion just fine.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Aqua Buddha FTW!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

It's a shame how so many can not separate promotion or endorsement from legality. It is perfectly consistent to prefer no government involvement without endorsement.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutional Paulicy View Post
    not true....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DWx5u0nPc4

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It's a shame how so many can not separate promotion or endorsement from legality. It is perfectly consistent to prefer no government involvement without endorsement.
    Exactly. Why would anyone demand that a politician actually endorse marijuana use?

Cannabis doesn't promote the kind of lethargy that he says any more than alcohol or prescription sedatives do.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

I don't endorse it. I think its stupid. Granted, I suspect (I'm not that knowledgeable, but I'm almost certain) that medical marijuana is somewhat useful, and that recreational marijuana is probably more in the ballpark of nicotine cigarettes than crack... But I still don't endorse cigarette use either. I just don't want users to go to jail. The same could be said for marijuana, or even crack. I don't expect Rand to endorse it either. I wish he would openly advocate legalization. He doesn't have to endorse legalization by Congress, he could easily just say "I believe it should be legal but because of the 10th amendment this is a state issue" or something, but to continue to advocate for its illegality is a bit annoying. Yet, Rand doesn't support legalization. Oh well, he fell from the same tree as his dad, just a different branch. I can tolerate it.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I don't endorse it. I think its stupid. Granted, I suspect (I'm not that knowledgeable, but I'm almost certain) that medical marijuana is somewhat useful, and that recreational marijuana is probably more in the ballpark of nicotine cigarettes than crack... But I still don't endorse cigarette use either. I just don't want users to go to jail. The same could be said for marijuana, or even crack. I don't expect Rand to endorse it either. I wish he would openly advocate legalization. He doesn't have to endorse legalization by Congress, he could easily just say "I believe it should be legal but because of the 10th amendment this is a state issue" or something, but to continue to advocate for its illegality is a bit annoying. Yet, Rand doesn't support legalization. Oh well, he fell from the same tree as his dad, just a different branch. I can tolerate it.
    He didn't explictly say that he opposes legalization, just that he's not advocating it.

Oh, word games

Granted, that may be exactly what Rand Paul is doing. He may well support legalization but yet be politically savvy. I don't care though. I'm disappointed in him for not being at least somewhat willing to fight for victimless 'criminals.' At the very least he should be willing to advocate for legalization of pot.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    He didn't explictly say that he opposes legalization, just that he's not advocating it.
    It is afterall a state rights issue . . . ok in Colorado and California for example
    and a tobacco state like Kentucky should be able to do whatever it's fine and honorable citizens
    so choose to do as well.

The next President of the United States really should act presidential unequivocally at all times,
    and not allow himself to get cornered into talking about social issues . . . also read as
    the social engineering of society by the non-constitutionalists, non-liberty candidates, and / or neocon war mongerers.
    Last edited by rubioneocon; 03-24-2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Florida Senator Marco Rubio on 03.14.2013 at CPAC convention . . .
    "The Republican Party doesn't need any new ideas in order to succeed."

OS / platform :
    RHEL - Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Fedora 17 KDE plasma workspace
    on Google Chrome web browser with Oracle JRE Java 7 Update 17

I don't claim that Rand should try to legalize drugs at the Federal level. He should, however, support legalization and advocate for it at the state level. The 10th amendment is the best thing we've got right now.

Granted, all Rand has to do constittutionally is to leave it to the states, so I can forgive him, but I wish he'd be more open about it like his dad.

I don't claim that Rand should try to legalize drugs at the Federal level. He should, however, support legalization and advocate for it at the state level. The 10th amendment is the best thing we've got right now.

Granted, all Rand has to do constittutionally is to leave it to the states, so I can forgive him, but I wish he'd be more open about it like his dad.
    The way that Rand argues the issue causes people to stop and think. If he did it your way, they would dismiss him and his arguments. Which would you rather have happen?

Oh, word games

Granted, that may be exactly what Rand Paul is doing. He may well support legalization but yet be politically savvy. I don't care though. I'm disappointed in him for not being at least somewhat willing to fight for victimless 'criminals.' At the very least he should be willing to advocate for legalization of pot.
    He said in the interview that he's opposed to throwing people in jail for victimless crimes, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. The fact that he doesn't like to use the term "legalization" doesn't mean that he's in favor of drug use being a criminal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by thequietkid10 View Post
    He was talking about Clinton. =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bktd_Pi4YJw

rand paul will not win colorado, back to the drawing board!
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

Did you even read the OP? He said that he's against nonviolent offenders having their lives ruined over it, essentially the same stance as his dad.
    I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than be living as a puppet or a slave - Peter Tosh

The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...

Quote Originally Posted by speciallyblend View Post
    What is with your obsession over Colorado? Why would this cause him not to win Colorado?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    [B]I don't endorse it. I think its stupid. Granted, I suspect (I'm not that knowledgeable, but I'm almost certain) that medical marijuana is somewhat useful, and that recreational marijuana is probably more in the ballpark of nicotine cigarettes than crack... But I still don't endorse cigarette use either. I just don't want users to go to jail. The same could be said for marijuana, or even crack. I don't expect Rand to endorse it either. I wish he would openly advocate legalization. He doesn't have to endorse legalization by Congress, he could easily just say "I believe it should be legal but because of the 10th amendment this is a state issue" or something, but to continue to advocate for its illegality is a bit annoying. Yet, Rand doesn't support legalization. Oh well, he fell from the same tree as his dad, just a different branch. I can tolerate it.
    You should have stopped at the bolded.
    Last edited by QuickZ06; 03-25-2013 at 01:27 AM.
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

I know people in drug trade who think it should be illegal...not only for selfish reasons . Just about anybody in middle school in any kind of urban area can get just about anything they want. Honestly to me ending drug war is in my top 5 issues, there are politicians that will take the hard line stance to end drug war soon enough, I don't think Rand is tasty guy.

Quote Originally Posted by speciallyblend View Post
    because he won't use leftist dogma on the issue?

Not being with marijuana legalization is just insane. Where are these people going to get new taxes from. Rand will lose the wave with legalization and again when the Dems want to tax it .

1 in 4 smoke marijuana almost regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by talkingpointes View Post
    Not being with marijuana legalization is just insane. Where are these people going to get new taxes from. Rand will lose the wave with legalization and again when the Dems want to tax it .

1 in 4 smoke marijuana almost regularly.
    ... or at least eat brownies
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    What is with your obsession over Colorado? Why would this cause him not to win Colorado?
    i live in colorado ,my wife has 14 fused vertebrae and i choose to use something safer then aspirin. What iam saying is if the republican cannot support legal marijuana personal or medical and fully support the majority of colorado citizens. Then rand paul will never win colorado or an election in 2016 for president. bottom line if the gop cannot support individual liberty. they will not win the swing state of colorado, end of f'in story!
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast