Thread: I wonder...Caesarean birth rates = Increased autism rates?

Exclamation I wonder...Caesarean birth rates = Increased autism rates?

Lots of speculation as to what is causing (or if its even real) the autism "epidemic".

Could it be the increase in Caesarean births as opposed to vaginal births?

Could there be some missing link, some hormonal/development/stimulant "burst" that happens during a vaginal birth that is missing in a Caesarean birth?

I wonder if any research has been done on this?

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    loveshiscountry

From 1998 to 2005 there was a 33 percent increase in cesarean births in Alabama. 24 to 32 percent
    The National rate of autism went up over 250 percent from 98-'03 in the 6-22 age category. 54k-141k

https://www.google.com/search?q=Caes...ient=firefox-a

google is your friend

then again, you could probably correlate internet average speeds with autism too
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

I think it is about mercury and other toxins.

Large, nonlinear, multivariate systems often have no single variable causes for phenomena which instead arise as the byproducts of the presence of several factors. It is well known in many analytic disciplines that once one goes beyond three variables, the difficulty in finding causal roots rises asymptotically with great rapidity as the number of relevant factors grows. The other problem is determining which factors are indeed relevant, which alone can prove impossibly difficult.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Had to have a Caesarean due to her being in breech position, she's almost two and absolutely no signs of autism--even though my brother is borderline and was born vaginally. I was reading up on "milestones" that your kid is supposed to reach by certain ages, and her vocabulary is 2-3x what's expected (partially due to teaching sign language?). Unfortunately, that means she swears sometimes--fortunately her pronunciation skills still aren't that great and I can pass off "$#@!" as "sit." For now...

She eats more than I do--hope that doesn't become a problem.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Had to have a Caesarean due to her being in breech position, she's almost two and absolutely no signs of autism--even though my brother is borderline and was born vaginally. I was reading up on "milestones" that your kid is supposed to reach by certain ages, and her vocabulary is 2-3x what's expected (partially due to teaching sign language?). Unfortunately, that means she swears sometimes--fortunately her pronunciation skills still aren't that great and I can pass off "$#@!" as "sit." For now...

Don't know about autism, but I do know about teaching kids to read. I learned at the age of two. My father read the newspaper to me every morning and would ask me about what I heard, no matter what I thought.

Looking back it was the best thing he ever did. I got my first scholarship from NMU when I was in the 6th grade. I know public schools have the competition of the special Olympics.
    Last edited by talkingpointes; 03-24-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Also doctors do cesareans for everyone it seems to speed the whole thing up? Although it leaves a nasty, nasty scar on a women with any fat.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Lots of speculation as to what is causing (or if its even real) the autism "epidemic".

Could it be the increase in Caesarean births as opposed to vaginal births?

Could there be some missing link, some hormonal/development/stimulant "burst" that happens during a vaginal birth that is missing in a Caesarean birth?

I wonder if any research has been done on this?

I will tend to believe it if there is an increase in rate of autism for humans with cesarean birth than vaginal birth. But my guess is it has more to do with toxin in the environment be it in vaccines, drinking water, food etc

I think the numbers are way off.

Like say increasing a few caesarian births by double, though may be concerning, it wouldn't increase the autism rates to the numbers we are seeing. I think it is taking a whole lot more help than that.

P.S. Also of note is a little baby having to tear his or her way out. That also can weigh some concern.

LOL. Why am I not surprised? females also have significantly lower rate of autism possibly due because of estrogen protective effects.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Caesarean births are showing that the child does not have the good gut bacteria that babies born vaginally do. Dr. Whittaker has shown that autism is much more prominent in children with gastrointestinal issues.

Sources:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0502080234.htm
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/9/1796S.full
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news...ds-with-autism
    http://m.ibtimes.co.uk/c-section-bab...on-447119.html
    http://www.autism.com/index.php/prevention
    http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/colonization.html

Gastro issue almost always show up in children with autism. The link that Dr. Wakefield found was gastro issues in concert with the MMR vaccine.

And before Zippy chimes in, I'll put this information up about Dr. Wakefield:

English Court Exonerates MMR/Autism Doctor – UK General Medical Given Sound Thrashing

http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.c...und-thrashing/

http://www.ageofautism.com/2013/02/b...-a-decade.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Caesarean births are showing that the child does not have the good gut bacteria that babies born vaginally do.
    Imagine if its as simple as failure to squeeze the snot and poop out.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Cell phones or other wireless electro magnetic fields, plastics, heavy metals in water or other drinks, heavy metals in vaccines, unnecessary and frequent ultrasounds....I have lots of suspicions
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    Cell phones or other wireless electro magnetic fields, plastics, heavy metals in water or other drinks, heavy metals in vaccines, unnecessary and frequent ultrasounds....I have lots of suspicions
    Like osan noted, trying to find causal feature as opposed to a correlative one is nigh impossible.

All of those things are on my list as well...just musing out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Caes...ient=firefox-a

google is your friend

then again, you could probably correlate internet average speeds with autism too
    Forgive me for thinking first, instead of googling.

FFS...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    LOL. Why am I not surprised? females also have significantly lower rate of autism possibly due because of estrogen protective effects.
    There's that and the extra X, just in case one is in a bit of disrepair. It doesn't seem there's much of a genetic factor in autism though.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by talkingpointes View Post
    Don't know about autism, but I do know about teaching kids to read. I learned at the age of two. My father read the newspaper to me every morning and would ask me about what I heard, no matter what I thought.

Looking back it was the best thing he ever did. I got my first scholarship from NMU when I was in the 6th grade. I know public schools have the competition of the special Olympics.
    My daughter won't sit still long enough for me to read to her--she wants to hold the books and then tears through them, making it impossible to read more than a few words/sentences. So we've been signing/finger spelling words and generally going the visual route. She's either in high-gear or crying because she's exhausted--two speeds.

In regards to the special olympics: Huh?

Edit: N/M--I understand, the sentence can be read a couple of ways.
    Last edited by amy31416; 03-24-2013 at 12:57 PM.

My daughter won't sit still long enough for me to read to her--she wants to hold the books and then tears through them, making it impossible to read more than a few words/sentences. So we've been signing/finger spelling words and generally going the visual route. She's either in high-gear or crying because she's exhausted--two speeds.

In regards to the special olympics: Huh?
    This has nothing to do with autism but have you ever tried "my baby can read" program on her? It looks like a very neat stuff that could give a kid a big leg up in her schooling.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    This has nothing to do with autism but have you ever tried "my baby can read" program on her? It looks like a very neat stuff that could give a kid a big leg up in her schooling.
    I have not, will Google. I recall my folks using flash cards with me--for words/numbers/math.

The increase in autism rates is due to two factors: 1. increase in awareness and efforts to diagnose kids and 2. over diagnosis. Keep in mind, there really is not clear diagnostic test for autism or an exact understanding of what it is. "Autism" can include anything from people with severe mental and growth retardation alongside social skill impairment, to kids that were once considered normal and maybe just "nerdy" or "quiet and less socially gifted" that are now being labeled. In this respect, over diagnosis is a big issue.

When severe autism occurs, it is not always apparent at birth. Some kids will develop completely normally then suddenly halt and decline around age 2 or 3.

I do not believe the c-section rate has anything to do with it. Perhaps, you could link this and the increase in autism rates, with the "overmedicalization". While c-sections are important and necessary for some, they have been known to be used when unnecessary. Similarly, I said above, people are trying to label personality traits we once just considered different through labels like "mild autism" or "Aspergers".

I would not even trust the autism data as reliable. It's lot easier to get a label than you'd think. As a child, I was told I might have ADHD because I was really energetic and couldn't sit through the hour-long classes in public school. The reality -- I was bored because I wasn't being engaged in the material nor was it intellectually stimulating. I'm now 20 and doing absolutely fine. ADHD/ADD is wayyyyyyyy over diagnosed, as well. In a small college class I was in (30 people) we were talking about this and 12/30 people said that they were (at some point in their lives) told they may have ADHD/ADD or were treated for it.