Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assault Weapon Ban Removed from gun bill.

Assault Weapon Ban Removed from gun bill.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-19-13-51-09
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has decided that a proposed assault weapons ban won't be part of a gun control bill the Senate plans to debate next month, the sponsor of the ban said Tuesday, a decision that means the ban stands little chance of survival.

Instead, Sen. Dianne Feinstein said she will be able to offer her ban on the military-style firearms as an amendment. Feinstein is all but certain to need 60 votes from the 100-member Senate to prevail, but she faces solid Republican opposition and likely defections from some moderate Democrats.
    Never in the history of America have individuals come out to support a candidate like this. with so many of us willing to spend every dime to our name, donate every hour we can spare, and brave literally hell to vote for him. .

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Harry Reid blocks "assault weapons" portion of Feinstein gun bill

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-gun-ban-bill/

Sen. Dianne Feinstein emerged from a closed-door meeting with Majority Leader Harry Reid on Monday — but her ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines didn’t.

Mr. Reid turned down her attempt to bring her ban on 157 different weapons and ammunition clips aboard the Democratic Party’s comprehensive gun bill, Politico reported.

“My understanding is it will not be [part of the base bill],” said Mrs. Feinstein, California Democrat. “I would like to [see it moved], but the leader has decided not to do it. … You will have to ask him [why].”

Her bill instead will have to go forth separately or as an amendment — and that means it’s probably not going anywhere.

Mr. Reid’s decision was likely aimed at bolstering the party’s chances to pass some gun control, even if it’s not as restrictive as many on the left would like. As Hot Air noted, Mr. Reid can now play the two bills off each other and make the case that he kept out Mrs. Feinstein’s more controversial version.

Mr. Reid is also likely looking at the 2014 elections, when several Democratic Senate seats are open for contest in conservative states, analysts say.
    Glad to see that the "assault weapons" portion of her bill really doesn't have a chance anymore, but I think all Harry Reid did was make the rest of the bill more acceptable for those that were on the fence.

Thoughts?

No level of firearm regulation is 'acceptable'. When you regulate rights, they are no longer rights... they are privileges. All firearm laws should be repealed as they are not constitutional.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    No level of firearm regulation is 'acceptable'. When you regulate rights, they are no longer rights... they are privileges. All firearm laws should be repealed as they are not constitutional.
    this.

"Shall not be infringed" is not really up for debate as to the meaning.. this is no general welfare clause.. this is very simple.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Already posted, but it will be back. Dianne Feinstein doesn't know how to give up... people like her can be beat down left and right and still they try to get their bs laws passed.

I agree completely with both of you. Unfortunately, that phrase consistently comes up for debate as if there WAS some type of ambiguity. It's really sad.

DONT worry, frankenstein, they will repackage your bull$hit and it will float to the surface again...
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

*Devil's Advocate*

Is private nuke ownership a good idea? If not, where do you draw the line? I've had a tricky time answering that question. Granted, wherever the line is, we already passed it, but I'm not sure exactly where. Assault weapons are obviously OK. Automatic assault weapons are obviously OK. But nukes obviously aren't. Where do you draw the line?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    *Devil's Advocate*

Is private nuke ownership a good idea? If not, where do you draw the line? I've had a tricky time answering that question. Granted, wherever the line is, we already passed it, but I'm not sure exactly where. Assault weapons are obviously OK. Automatic assault weapons are obviously OK. But nukes obviously aren't. Where do you draw the line?
    I don't know... can you 'bear it'? Can you pick it up and stand in a militia formation? If they answer to that is no, then you have the answer to your question.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

I don't know... can you 'bear it'? Can you pick it up and stand in a militia formation? If they answer to that is no, then you have the answer to your question.
    Yeah, this is usually the argument I've used. "Arms" means weapons that can be carried. Which means that the "Can you own a nuke" argument I've encountered is really just a strawman.

We have to be careful and define what "Arms" means.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

*Devil's Advocate*

The Federal government has NO authority to regulate arms of any kind including nuclear weapons. It lacks the power under the Constitution. The States are another matter.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Someone give this man a cookie.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."
    ~ President John Q. Adams ~

are gang bangers, crack headz & "cops" kicking in doors with their standard issue carrying tac nukes?

if yes

then yes

if no
    saiga 12 works fine
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    The Federal government has NO authority to regulate arms of any kind including nuclear weapons. It lacks the power under the Constitution. The States are another matter.
    Yes, that's true, although there isn't any state that wouldn't regulate nuclear weapons. But technically... yeah.

I was more asking where the 2nd (Individual right) ends and the 10th (States can regulate) begins... The answer I was given was good enough for me.

Then again, the Feds think they have authority to stop foreign governments like Iran from getting nukes, so I highly doubt they'll let us as individuals be regulated only by the states in this matter...

Who exactly regulates Washington DC for the record? If that's "The Federal Government" than I'd accept their authority to regulate nukes and other "Non-arms" weapons there.

Yes, that's true, although there isn't any state that wouldn't regulate nuclear weapons. But technically... yeah.

I was more asking where the 2nd (Individual right) ends and the 10th (States can regulate) begins... The answer I was given was good enough for me.

Then again, the Feds think they have authority to stop foreign governments like Iran from getting nukes, so I highly doubt they'll let us as individuals be regulated only by the states in this matter...

Who exactly regulates Washington DC for the record? If that's "The Federal Government" than I'd accept their authority to regulate nukes and other "Non-arms" weapons there.
    The US Congress regulates Washington DC.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Than yeah, they should be able to make laws banning nukes in Washington DC.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But nukes obviously aren't.
    Why not? If the issue is not that I own firearms, but misuse should be punished, would not the same be true for any property i own?
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Why not? If the issue is not that I own firearms, but misuse should be punished, would not the same be true for any property i own?
    Is that really worh the risk to an entire city? Granted, the government shouldn't own them either. I would argue that owning something that literally cannot be used in a defensive manner (Such as a nuke) is in and of itself a threat against other people.

Who decides which risks are worth taking?

The risks of people owning cars are worth the 38,000 lives lost per year, and thousands more injured.

The risks of people owning firearms are worth the 11,000 live lost per year and those injured.

Or not? Who decides?
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Who decides which risks are worth taking?

The risks of people owning cars are worth the 38,000 lives lost per year, and thousands more injured.

The risks of people owning firearms are worth the 11,000 live lost per year and those injured.

Or not? Who decides?
    Cars have a legitimate use. They are useful for travel. In addtion, people "Consent" to the danger by driving on the road. The reason I say that is that "Banning cars" would just make every single person worse off. Anyone who wanted cars banned could similarly avoid the risk by just not driving.

As for firearms, they can be used for hunting, self-defense, defense against government officials run amok, exc.

There's literally nothing you can do with a nuke that won't kill a lot of innocent people. They shouldn't exist.

Is that really worh the risk to an entire city? Granted, the government shouldn't own them either. I would argue that owning something that literally cannot be used in a defensive manner (Such as a nuke) is in and of itself a threat against other people.
    The thing I really love about this questions is this: it was government that INVENTED nuclear weopons, ONLY government has used nuclear weapons, ONLY governments stockpile nuclear weapons, ONLY governments aim nuclear weapons at innocent civilians, but it is private citizens that are supposedly such a big nuclear threat that government must not only have the power to deny nuclear weapons to people who have never had any in the first place, but also use that phony fear as an argument for disarming the peaceful citizen of ANY weapons. It's a mind trick. GOVERNMENT, not your neighbor, is the enemy of peace and the perennial slaughterer of the innocent. Irrefutable historical fact right there.

Cars have a legitimate use. They are useful for travel. In addtion, people "Consent" to the danger by driving on the road. The reason I say that is that "Banning cars" would just make every single person worse off. Anyone who wanted cars banned could similarly avoid the risk by just not driving.

As for firearms, they can be used for hunting, self-defense, defense against government officials run amok, exc.

There's literally nothing you can do with a nuke that won't kill a lot of innocent people. They shouldn't exist.
    Most gun grabbers do not care what a person can own for self defense and they use the Nuclear option in order to try to destroy a debate. I would argue if a person can pick it up they can bear it. Another thing is arms held by an individual can be used to discriminate targets, for example a nuclear weapon does not discriminate one individual to the next in its use against a target.
    Last edited by seapilot; 03-19-2013 at 07:22 PM.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

In 1775, an "arm" was also a cannon. They were much more common than they are today, at least among the people.
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

suit case nuke?...do they exist?

then there's drones...
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 03-19-2013 at 09:22 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They already got their vote. They floated it long enough to get a good idea where people stand, how many are with them and how many are against them Also, a feint to identify the Molon Labe types, who were wise enough to raise their hands. The people who visit this site out of honest concern or attraction were likely, mostly, already identified. This is just part of the process. Welcome to modern American government.

Consider it feedback. Also, when the boomerang comes back around, they will find resistance more complacent. Nothing breeds complacently like success.
    Last edited by bolil; 03-19-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    Best of luck in life.

Quote Originally Posted by pacelli View Post
    In 1775, an "arm" was also a cannon. They were much more common than they are today, at least among the people.
    Not really. There a select few quotations that confuse "arms" with "cannon" from the Revolution Era, but most official sources such as treaties, declarations, and common-use dictionaries distinguished between "arms" and "cannon".
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."
    ~ President John Q. Adams ~

As far as I know it is still legal for the average mundane to own a cannon.

Just need a faster way to reload one.
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

We still need to fight against the "registration" issues. We already talked about how this would play out in other threads. Incremental-ism.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

*Devil's Advocate*

Classical physics - good, nuclear physics - bad. As though nuclear weapons are the be all and end all of weapons technology. Perhaps we should ban private space flight as those same world dominating billionaires that could afford nuclear weapons might use classical physics to drop non-nuclear rocks on their neighbors head.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

But they do exist, and the who decides question has been ignored.

My guess is that if anyone did have a nuke, SWAT would be very careful about coming over for a visit.

Do you get to decide if I may own a pistol? rifle? grenade? howitzer? tank? jet fighter? nuke?

Do I get to decide which weapons you may own?

In a free society, owning property is not a crime. Using your property to harm others is the crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast