Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pope Francis "didn't have the courage of other priests" during Junta

Pope Francis "didn't have the courage of other priests" during Junta

Interesting read:

BUENOS AIRES — The man who is now Pope Francis was a young Jesuit leader, not long out of seminary, when Argentina's military junta unleashed a reign of terror that became known as the "dirty war." That was more than 30 years ago, but the reaction to the naming of the first Argentine pope shows that the wounds have not yet healed.

Many Argentines were still stunned Thursday that Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the archbishop of Buenos Aires, had become the first pope from the Americas. But the joy was somewhat tempered by a public debate over Bergoglio's actions, or inactions, from 1976 to 1983, when 30,000 dissidents were killed or "disappeared," among them an estimated 150 priests.
    One of the pope's most prominent defenders is Adolfo Perez Esquivel, who won the 1980 Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to expose the crimes of the junta. "Perhaps he didn't have the courage of other priests, but he never collaborated with the dictatorship," Perez Esquivel told Radio de la Red in Buenos Aires. "Bergoglio was no accomplice of the dictatorship. He can't be accused of that."
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,1348787.story

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In other words, he was cowardice.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

this has been talked about for many years. The man did as virtually everyone else would in his position. He isn't a hero, but he isn't a coward.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Quote Originally Posted by Smart3 View Post
    this has been talked about for many years. The man did as virtually everyone else would in his position. He isn't a hero, but he isn't a coward.
    That is like saying Dick Cheney is a great American.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    That is like saying Dick Cheney is a great American.
    It really isn't since it's reported that he never collaborated with the dictators.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    It really isn't since it's reported that he never collaborated with the dictators.
    Right...South American Jesuits have nothing to do with South American dictators. Thanks.

Right...South American Jesuits have nothing to do with South American dictators. Thanks.
    Ok then you're responsible for what the protestants do in the US.

Ok then you're responsible for what the protestants do in the US.
    Why do you think I am a Protestant? Do you think the the only alternative to Catholic is Protestant? I disagree with most "protestants".
    Last edited by Sola_Fide; 04-11-2014 at 08:52 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why do you think I am a Protestant? Do you think the the only alternative to Catholic is Protestant? I disagree with most "protestants".
    I consider myself a Protestant in that I'm not Catholic or EO, and I believe in salvation by faith alone. I disagree with most Protestants on one thing or another too.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Here is a little bit of background about this evil man:

http://m.bbc.com/news/magazine-22064929
    The election of Pope Francis has thrown a spotlight on his conduct as a priest under Argentina's military dictatorship in the late 70s and early 80s, and in particular at what point he found out about one of the country's most shameful episodes.

Oh I'm sorry. What are you? So I can blame you for others that are like you.

Oh I'm sorry. What are you? So I can blame you for others that are like you.
    Do you care about logical fallacies?

Proof that Pope Francis collaborated with the junta:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/smoking...-junta/5327354

Pope Francis: Questions Remain Over His Role In Argentinian Dictatorship
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...military-junta

Do you care about logical fallacies?
    Do you?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do you?
    Why should he? As an atheist you have no basis on which to presuppose the existence of logic, so you have to just put up with his contradictions.

God is logical. To be logical is to conform your thinking to God's. Without God you cannot have logic. You do not know anything at all.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Why should he? As an atheist you have no basis on which to presuppose the existence of logic, so you have to just put up with his contradictions.

God is logical. To be logical is to conform your thinking to God's. Without God you cannot have logic. You do not know anything at all.
    According to SF and his "logic"; every catholic colludes with every dictator because some catholics collude with some dictators.

According to SF and his "logic"; every catholic colludes with every dictator because some catholics collude with some dictators.
    I wasn't talking about "every Catholic". I don't understand why you would even think this from this thread.

He didn't say that. But even if he did, so what? Again, you are an atheist. You have no basis to even make claims like this.

Anyway.....let's get back to the topic of this thread.

He didn't say that. But even if he did, so what? Again, you are an atheist. You have no basis to even make claims like this.
    What does his atheism have to do with him calling out Sola_Fide on his usual tripe!?!? Can you two ever talk to someone as an individual verses making a collectivist caricature out of them and their beliefs?

You guys are ridiculous. The people on this forum see outside the box. That's why they are here. You two however, seem to assume nobody has been outside their parent's basement.

Here is a little bit of background about this evil man:

http://m.bbc.com/news/magazine-22064929
    Proof that Pope Francis collaborated with the junta:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/smoking...-junta/5327354
    Pope Francis: Questions Remain Over His Role In Argentinian Dictatorship
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...military-junta
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    What does his atheism have to do with him calling out Sola_Fide on his usual tripe!?!? Can you two ever talk to someone as an individual verses making a collectivist caricature out of them and their beliefs?

You guys are ridiculous. The people on this forum see outside the box. That's why they are here. You two however, seem to assume nobody has been outside their parent's basement.

Well, Fr. 33 was completely misrepresenting what Sola said, and was proving Psalms 14:1, so I figured I'd call him out on it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Uh so what? He's not my God. He is a man who temporarily occupies the seat of St. Peter. If he was a coward, all men have faults. And still those articles prove nothing.

This why you are wrong so often whether it's your judging of individuals on this forum or off, and why it seems you have little reading comprehension when citing sources or responding to the post of others, because you see only what you want to. I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

I have no problem with anyone else on this forum other than you two. I may disagree with many people here, but I highly respect their integrity. You guys, not so much...

That's your "vicar of Christ" on earth.....a person who assented to murder. You should evaluate your life sir.

Well, Fr. 33 was completely misrepresenting what Sola said, and was proving Psalms 14:1, so I figured I'd call him out on it.
    Psalms 14:1The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
    Since you called a member of this forum a fool would you also admit that he'd be good at spotting another one?

That's your "vicar of Christ" on earth.....a person who assented to murder. You should evaluate your life sir.
    I'm not judged by his (as yet unproven) deeds. FR33 is correct when you try to blame this on all Catholics. It's your history. You should evaluate your life.

I'm not judged by his (as yet unproven) deeds. FR33 is correct when you try to blame this on all Catholics. It's your history. You should evaluate your life.
    RJB,

I say this as your forum friend...you are not saved unless you believe in Christ's righteousness alone for salvation. Please....I beg you to turn to the living God and trust in Him ALONE for salvation.

RJB, I say this as your forum friend...
    So calling me an idiot and fool doesn't get to me, so now you try a different tactic and call me friend? That strikes me as odd.

you are not saved unless you believe in Christ's righteousness alone for salvation. Please....I beg you to turn to the living God and trust in Him ALONE for salvation
    As to this, I've told you that I do exactly that, but you must see me as your caricature Catholic. (Shrug)
    Last edited by RJB; 04-11-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast