Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senate panel approves assault weapons ban - Clash Between Cruz and Feinstein

Senate panel approves assault weapons ban - Clash Between Cruz and Feinstein

WASHINGTON—A Senate committee approved an assault weapons ban Thursday on a party-line vote that signaled how difficult it will be for the proposal to survive in the full Senate.
    The Democratic-led Senate Judiciary Committee approved the bill on a 10-8 vote after rejecting a series of Republican amendments aimed at exempting victims of sexual abuse, people living along the Southwest border and others from the prohibition. The GOP proposals were also defeated along party lines.
    President Barack Obama made an assault weapons ban part of the gun curbs he proposed in January, a month after a shooter with an assault rifle killed 20 first-graders and six educators at a school in Newtown, Conn. An assault weapons ban became law in 1994, but Congress failed to renew it before it expired in 2004.
    White House press secretary Jay Carney urged Congress to swiftly pass the assault weapons ban and said Obama is pushing for that along with his other gun control measures in meetings this week with lawmakers on Capitol Hill. Carney said the president acknowledges they face tough odds but argued the measures won't take guns away from law-abiding citizens.
    "If this weren't a tough issue, the assault weapons ban would not have expired and not been renewed," Carney said.
    Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein and others have argued that such firearms are used in a disproportionate number of mass shootings and shouldn't be available to civilians.
    The prohibition is one of the most controversial of the gun restrictions being considered in Congress. Its foes say law-abiding citizens should not lose their Second Amendment right to own the weapons, which they say are popular for self-defense, hunting and collecting.
    Thursday's debate included a fiery clash between Feinstein, D-Calif., the ban's author, and outspoken freshman conservative Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas. Cruz said Feinstein's bill would create exceptions to the Second Amendment and asked her if she would favor exemptions to the First Amendment's freedom of speech by denying that right to certain books.
    "I'm not a sixth-grader," said a visibly upset Feinstein. She described her decades in Congress involved in gun control debates and said, "I'm reasonably well-educated, and thank you for the lecture."
    Several Republicans including Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, who proposed the GOP amendments that were defeated, argued that the most effective approach to curbing gun violence would be to improve how mental health records are sent to the federal system that checks backgrounds of potential gun buyers.
    Cornyn also said that as a result of Feinstein's ban, criminals would still get the weapons.
    "We're going to give American citizens a pea shooter to defend themselves with," Cornyn said.
    Feinstein conceded that the battle to enact her measure would be difficult and said, "I don't see that as being bad. I don't see that as harming Americans. Because we have so many guns."
    Feinstein's bill would also ban large-capacity ammunition magazines carrying more than 10 rounds, which she and her allies say allow shooters to inflict more casualties before pausing to reload, which is when they might be stopped. Adam Lanza, the Newtown gunman, was said to have had 30-round magazines.
    The measure's passage by the Judiciary panel has been a foregone conclusion for some time. It will be far more vulnerable in the full Senate, where Democrats are expected to need 60 votes for passage through the 100-member chamber. That is where the NRA and other pro-gun groups are working hard for the ban's defeat.
    "We are focused on the next step of the legislative process," Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist, said Wednesday.
    There are 53 Democrats plus two independents who generally side with them. Republicans seem ready to oppose the ban overwhelmingly, and Feinstein can't count on a half-dozen Democrats from Republican-leaning states who face re-election next year.
    The ban also stands little chance of approval in the GOP-controlled House.
    Feinstein's bill would ban semi-automatic weapons—guns that fire one round and automatically reload—that can take a detachable magazine and have at least one military feature like a pistol grip.
    It specifically bans 157 named weapons. But in an effort to avoid antagonizing those who use them for sports, the measure allows 2,258 rifles and shotguns that are frequently used by hunters.
    It also exempts any weapons that are lawfully owned whenever the bill is enacted.

Read more: Senate panel approves assault weapons ban - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/politics/c...#ixzz2NWNoihV1
    //
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

what an arrogant troll that Frankenstein is!
    ANSWER THE QUESTION!
    I DID NOT ASK FOR, NOR NEED, YOUR $#@!ING RESUME!

"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

SAY IT

$#@!ING SAY IT!!!
    Last edited by sailingaway; 03-14-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Sen. Feinstein Didn't Like Sen. Cruz's Questions About the Bill of Rights
    http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/14/se...ke-senator-cru

During a hearing on the assault weapons ban in the Senate Judiciary Committee (which was approved along party lines) Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) had a few questions about the Bill of Rights for Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who reminded the junior senator from Texas that she is not a sixth grader.
    [...]
    The automated transcript of the exchange is below via ABC news:

Do they need. Other high powered weapons that military people used to kill in close combat I don't think so. So I come from a different place than you do.
    Why yes, I do need. And you certainly do come from a different place. Molon Labe, bitch.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Dick Durbin on the Constitution, namely the Bill of Rights- 'None of these rights are absolute, none of them.'

Dick Durbin should be tried for treason saying words like that. Did anybody catch when Cruz had about 5 minutes on his own where he laid out about 5 reasons why any gun bans were unconstitutional. It should have followed this exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Sen. Feinstein Didn't Like Sen. Cruz's Questions About the Bill of Rights
    http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/14/se...ke-senator-cru

Why yes, I do need. And you certainly do come from a different place. Molon Labe, bitch.
    Not to mention that I've yet to see the US Soldier in Afghanistan using an AR15. Dumb ass bitch doesn't understand that because they might look the same, doesn't mean they are the same. Also, she should realize that automatic weapons are so damn regulated hardly anyone even has one and many less people have any desire to own one. With giving up your Fourth Amendment rights and the taxes I wouldn't even go through the hassle. [though that's probably her goal]

And $#@! Dick Durbin. "Shall not be infringed" must really be so damn complex with bull$#@! legal precedents being established and the redefining of words.

Quote Originally Posted by DrHendricks View Post
    Dick Durbin should be tried for treason saying words like that. Did anybody catch when Cruz had about 5 minutes on his own where he laid out about 5 reasons why any gun bans were unconstitutional. It should have followed this exchange.
    I missed it. I hope someone finds a tube. I'm really liking Ted Cruz even with the little bit I've seen of him.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Okay so I found it on CSPAN video!

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/311493-1

It is at the 48:50 mark.

anybody catch Schumer run over to Cruz after he started to leave?....chuck appeared to be giving Cruz hell for the exchange with dirty diana...i wonder what was said.

Feinstein: "Do they need other high-powered weapons that the military use to kill people in close combat?"

Um, actually, I think that's exactly the reason the 2A was written the way it was...?

Cruz offers a reasonable question, Feinstein reacts with anecdotes and ad hominem attacks of a sort. Yeesh.

I wish they would just get on with it.
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

Woot Woot! Shoutout to Cruz's office for already making a video of his awesome defense of Constitution.

Last edited by DrHendricks; 03-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.

If I were Cruz, when she had said she wasn't a sixth grader I would have told her it was hard to tell with the way she was acting (lol)

Go Cruz!
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

The problem, Ms Feinstein, is that you don't respect Senator Cruz's opinion. He respects your right not to own a gun. You don't respect his right to own one.

Anyone want to help trend "BanDianne" along with stories from today?

http://twitter.com/search/realtime?q...ianne&src=hash
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How great is Cruz? Show that exchange with Feinstein to every you can.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    If I were Cruz, when she had said she wasn't a sixth grader I would have told her it was hard to tell with the way she was acting (lol)

Go Cruz!
    I would have told her "I know you're not a 6th grader. You wouldn't have made it on 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader'".
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I would have told her "I know you're not a 6th grader. You wouldn't have made it on 'Are you smarter than a 5th grader'".
    Lol.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    Done:

http://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/312329509603004418
    "@SenTedCruz clarifies the 2nd Amendment - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGqNovnrlc … #BanDianne #tcot #tlot #CPAC2013"

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    And make sure you highlight Dick Durbin's treachery.

Show them Rand Paul's non-binding resolution that Dick Durbin shut down. It doesn't get more simple than that. [the resolution/their responsibilty to affirm it]

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Anyone want to help trend "BanDianne" along with stories from today?

http://twitter.com/search/realtime?q...ianne&src=hash
    Thanks for the retweets, twitterers!

bump

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I think an unbiased observer would surmise that Senator Feinstein got pwned. Did Cruz get to speak after DiFi's meltdown?
    Last edited by anaconda; 03-14-2013 at 06:35 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would have loved for Cruz to have followed up with: "Senator Feistein: which 2,271 American Citizens will be similarly "exempted" from illegal searches and seizures?"

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I think an unbiased observer would surmise that Senator Feinstein got pwned. Did Cruz get to speak after DiFi's meltdown?
    Post-Meltdown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGqN...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by DrHendricks View Post
    Wow. Cruz chewed up Feinstein for lunch when he pointed out that he had argued the case DiFi referred to before the SCOTUS on behalf of 31 states, and what the decisions were. Nice. Does anyone know if DiFi was present for this pwning or had she already left the chambers?

I was a little concerned about Cruz championing mental health records for background checks. Sounded a bit Orwellian to me.

And, I don't know what his reasoning was about excluded evidence?
    Last edited by anaconda; 03-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.

She brings up the Heller decision, where the court couldn't even get the role of plaintiff or the determination of the previous 1934 court correct!

I hate what we've become... None of them are absolute?

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Wow. Cruz chewed up Feinstein for lunch when he pointed out that he had argued the case DiFi referred to before the SCOTUS on behalf of 31 states, and what the decisions were. Nice. Does anyone know if DiFi was present for this pwning or had she already left the chambers?

I was a little concerned about Cruz championing mental health records for background checks. Sounded a bit Orwellian to me.

And, I don't know what his reasoning was about excluded evidence?
    yeah, the mental health bit is a real slippery slope particularly with the DM being revised so everyone with a personality will have a 'personality disorder'. As I saw one comment say, how long will it be before wanting to own a gun, or an AR15 becomes 'evidence of mental issues'?
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast