Thread: George Washington University students enthusiastically welcome Ron Paul

George Washington University students enthusiastically welcome Ron Paul

More than 1,400 attendees warmly welcomed former Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), last Monday, for a speech at George Washington University, located in the heart one of the United States' most liberal cities, Washington DC.

Paul called for the government to put an end to the war on drugs and end foreign wars.

Will Healy, a sophomore at GWU, described himself as a Ron Paul supporter and believes that Paul has a large appeal to young people due to his more socially liberal ideas than most conservatives.

“He was much more socially liberal than many of the other candidates and for many people of my generation, it seems being socially liberal is one of their biggest issues,” Healy said.

Fletcher Karper, a freshman at GWU, was trying to recruit for his Young Americans for Liberty chapter at the event and said he supported Ron Paul in his presidential campaign because of his ideas.

“I just the like the ideas he preaches across the board,” Karper said.

Not all the students who attended the speech described themselves as libertarians. Chris Hartnett described himself as a social conservative, but he says that he likes a lot of what Ron Paul says.

“I think he speaks with a lot of common sense…and he makes good points, fiscally,” Harnett said.
    more at link: http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4662
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "He was much more socially liberal than many of the other candidates"

This always makes me cringe when I see this as it is just not true. Wanting to adhere to article 1 section 8 as intended does not make you a liberal.
    "I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames (1789)

I agree. Not MEDDLING doesn't make you a liberal. He is still married to the same woman he married over 50 years ago, and never performed an abortion in decades practicing as an OB/GYN. Compare that first part to, say, Gingrich.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Ron Paul calls it, "Non-Intraventionist"

Weather it's a social issue or and international issue.

Trouble always begins when someone intervenes... Domestically or Internationally.

The Freedom, Liberty, and Independence of the person

Collectivism creates class warfares and mob rule, it also turns groups on one-another which government takes ALL opportunities to capitalize upon.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Just curious how many people here are damning these students for not being pure enough.....Id say about 3/4th of the forum by my count.

Slutter McGee

Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    Just curious how many people here are damning these students for not being pure enough.....Id say about 3/4th of the forum by my count.

Slutter McGee
    Last edited by QuickZ06; 03-11-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post

Slutter McGee
    no one is 'damning the students for not being pure enough' the students don't require to be pure at all. I agreed that 'socially liberal' didn't quite describe Ron.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also a truck with people posters saying something like RAND 2016- don't remember exactly- all over some of the inside, which must be a safety hazard, but I digress. Also a rep inside the auditorium trying to recruit students to sign up for the YAF listserv.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    Also a truck with people posters saying something like RAND 2016- don't remember exactly- all over some of the inside, which must be a safety hazard, but I digress. Also a rep inside the auditorium trying to recruit students to sign up for the YAF listserv.
    Yeah, I figured there was organization going on there. and they have Ron's eventbrite list serves from VA DC and MD rallies during the campaign.

Classically liberal, yes... neoliberal, no.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    Classically liberal, yes... neoliberal, no.
    This. ^^

Don't fault people for not having learned the false paradigm of the mainstream political spectrum. Help them understand it.

I recently heard a staunch Democrat talking about Rand's filibuster, he referred to civil liberties as a progressive issue. People just don't get it, but they will figure these things out eventually.

Discussing isn't faulting, it is teaching, if people didn't know.