Thread: question

question

Yesterday the House passed landmark civil rights legislation, H.R. 923, the Emmett Till Unsolved Civil Rights Crime Act, by a vote of 422-2. The bill, sponsored by Representatives John Lewis [D-GA] and Kenny Hulshof [R-MO], would re-open hate crime cases during the Civil Rights Era, focusing on investigating and prosecuting murder cases occurring prior to 1970.

The two votes against? Lynn Westmoreland [R-GA] and Ron Paul [R-TX].

It doesn't change things with me but some political junkies on another website I visited pointed this out. An explination given by Paul yet

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Probably because of generalized opposition to hate crimes

Libertarians oppose declaring particular crimes to be "hate crimes" on the grounds that because a particular crime was committed against one particular group (be it anything ranging from vandalism to murder), it should not recieve special attention or harsher penalty than if it had been committed against a different group or individual.

It's about a principle of fairness in enforcing the law without declaring that any particular group deserves special treatment.

That's what I don't get, why do we need new laws to label a theft, vandalism, or murder a hate crime? It's still theft, vandalism, and murder. Wouldn't it be sufficient just to write down the motives behind the crime?

Because we are moving into an era of Thought Crime! Its not bad enough that you kill someone, but what were you THINKING?! CRIMESTOP! CRIMESTOP!

Orwell's 1984, Tom Cruise in the Minority Report...
    We know what you're thinking...

My question: what crime isn't done with some level of intended hate? Hate for the victim, hate for society and the system, hate against you employer who just fired you, wife who just left you, whatever the case...

I've never heard of a crime done out of love for the victim.

I could imagine Tom Cruise jumping up and down on Oprah's couch for Ron Paul.

I'm not clear exactly what the feds will be prosecuting.

Is this a "violation of civil rights" federal crime or are they trying to prosecute for murder? Murder is a state crime so the states should be doing it if that's the case.

They're going to spend $10 million per year for 10 years. Or $100 million to investigate 50 year old crimes for maybe 4 or 5 cases. Sounds like another bridge to nowhere for the federal government.

Of course they won't spend any money to give the GI's proper equipment or health care, patrol the borders or enforce other laws that are being violated today.

But hey, the ACLU and ADL support it, so it's all good.

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion."
    - Thomas Jefferson

WATCH: The Money Masters - How International Bankers Gained Control of America

READ: Tragedy and Hope: A History of The World in Our Time - Carroll Quigley

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Libertarians oppose declaring particular crimes to be "hate crimes" on the grounds that because a particular crime was committed against one particular group (be it anything ranging from vandalism to murder), it should not recieve special attention or harsher penalty than if it had been committed against a different group or individual.

It's about a principle of fairness in enforcing the law without declaring that any particular group deserves special treatment.
    that makes sense thanks duckman. I personally don't agree because the accused was granted special treatment but this may be the first thing I don't agree with the good doctor on. Viva la Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just to add -

Every crime is a hate crime.

AFAIK the "hate crime" laws add on to whatever sentences are imposed. I think the Supremes held at some point you couldn't prosecute for "hate" thoughts or speech (whatever that is) - so they came up with this work around of increasing the sentences for "thought crimes".

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion."
    - Thomas Jefferson

WATCH: The Money Masters - How International Bankers Gained Control of America

READ: Tragedy and Hope: A History of The World in Our Time - Carroll Quigley

Institute for Justice is what the ACLU claims to be.
    IJ stands up for property rights and not just certain parts of the Bill of Rights, but all parts.

http://www.ij.org/

IJ > ACLU

Quote Originally Posted by remaxjon View Post
    Yesterday the House passed landmark civil rights legislation, H.R. 923, the Emmett Till Unsolved Civil Rights Crime Act, by a vote of 422-2. The bill, sponsored by Representatives John Lewis [D-GA] and Kenny Hulshof [R-MO], would re-open hate crime cases during the Civil Rights Era, focusing on investigating and prosecuting murder cases occurring prior to 1970.

The two votes against? Lynn Westmoreland [R-GA] and Ron Paul [R-TX].

It doesn't change things with me but some political junkies on another website I visited pointed this out. An explination given by Paul yet

It looks to me like Ron Paul was vindicated again. I just read an article saying that only one of these cold cases was ever prosecuted as a result of this bill. It was a pig who ended up getting 6 months around 2017.

There is no such thing as a "hate crime." Ron Paul was only one of two guys who had to guts to stand up to this PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members