Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seattle dive bar becomes first to ban Google Glass

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Answered your own question. I have a reasonable expectation of privacy at certain times and places. While there is good in the product, it will also be abused. Not that there isn't already pen cameras, button cameras and everything in between. I guess I'd just have liked to have lived before '1984.' I feel bad for the kids who [will] grow up being recorded everywhere their entire lives.
    Good for you? But I think you going to be in the minority on this. How many restaurants and places would want to limit most of their customers? Fortunately for everyone I think we are moving away from public space and more into private space. Think about all the things that we can do at home or a private retreat that was not possible before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    Wtf? This is great! Why is there so much hate for this?

edit: I understand the want for privacy but some things become obsolete with time even ideas. If I can wear my smart phone on my face and have a free hand this would make me much more productive.
    No.

What you do with your Privacy is your choice.

What you do with MY Privacy is NOT your choice.

That is where this Invasion of Privacy becomes a threat. Oh $#@!, I know that guy, he's at the bar, quick, lets go rob his house! Oh $#@!, that guy mentioned Ron Paul in public. Well boys, time to try out our new Tazers.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good for you? But I think you going to be in the minority on this. How many restaurants and places would want to limit most of their customers? Fortunately for everyone I think we are moving away from public space and more into private space. Think about all the things that we can do at home or a private retreat that was not possible before.
    I am the minority that I do not want to be filmed everywhere I go? [which was the premise of why Google Glass was banned there, IIRC] Limiting the majority of their customers? I would like to hope that the majority of people don't find reason to walk around talking to the virtual computer in their sunglasses. Many businesses have a policy of not to be talking on your cellphone when ordering, or in line. This is an extension of that. As I understand it, and I really haven't looked into all of the details, it is basically a hands free smart phone? If I had a business I would respectfully inform them of my policy as well. Which would be, take them off, while ordering, or in line, or what have you. Depending on the business I very well might have them banned entirely. Bars, for one. Strip clubs etc. Different places where you have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Though I expect theaters to ban them as well.

I'd also say, with respect to your, 'moving towards private and not public,' statement that there is nothing to stop someone from filming another person in public. You are walking down the street you have no reasonable expectation of privacy, at least in my eyes. [though constant surveillance would be considered unlawful as harrassment and encroaches on your liberty] Private places you do. Many private places you must get a release to film there, how would this technology be any different? Rather, how would you know what they were doing with this technology? I'd like to know the recourse for an average person who is filmed while they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. I'm sure DAs and judges can use/would use eavesdropping statutes to try and give someone 20 years but what is my recourse?
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 03-10-2013 at 10:42 PM.

I guess we can agree then that hands free smart phones in shape of glasses are pretty awesome. And we can also agree that the same restrictions should apply to them as cameras and that is for every business to decide .

So again why the hate? I would assume this would be pretty obvious to everyone.

I guess we can agree then that hands free smart phones in shape of glasses are pretty awesome. And we can also agree that the same restrictions should apply to them as cameras and that is for every business to decide .

Lol. Probably cancer causing, low range radioactive radiofrequency waves near the eye? Sounds awesome!

Whatever floats your boat. I just would rather not be recorded everywhere I go. I feel like I'm a damn Kardashian or something.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 03-10-2013 at 07:48 PM.

I don't want people filming me everywhere I go. Anonymity is part of privacy.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

There are no photos of me, I used Danke's avatar for my drivers license.

Lol. Probably cancer causing, low range radioactive radiofrequency waves near the eye? Sounds awesome!

Whatever floats your boat. I just would rather not be recorded everywhere I go. I feel like I'm a damn Kardashian or something.
    So is 1000 other things. Everything around us needs research of some kind to figure that out. Life is short. I barely find the time to live between work and other $#@! I need to do to survive. To worry about stuff that has a tiny risk of giving me something in 20 years will just waste the 20 years and I will get something else anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I don't want people filming me everywhere I go. Anonymity is part of privacy.
    With everything becoming miniaturized and interconnected that is hardly a reasonable expectation. Now I am not saying I want someone filming you. I just don't see how you can prevent it in this day and age. And if it is possible there is absolutely no market for it. I don't see Bruce Wayne style clicker that shuts down cameras being sold in walmart. I don't see complicated procedures in movie theaters to prevent cam recorders. Facebook (FYI I don't do facebook) generation values convenience and speed over privacy and security.

To single out google glasses seems to me completely unfair.

Wtf? This is great! Why is there so much hate for this?

edit: I understand the want for privacy but some things become obsolete with time even ideas. If I can wear my smart phone on my face and have a free hand this would make me much more productive.
    Get in line, if there is one when they come out, and buy them then. Hate? What are you talking about, it is a product, nothing more. People either like it and think it is worth the money or they don't. I don't think it is worth even $20 much less $1,500 and I don't like it.

So is 1000 other things. Everything around us needs research of some kind to figure that out. Life is short. I barely find the time to live between work and other $#@! I need to do to survive. To worry about stuff that has a tiny risk of giving me something in 20 years will just waste the 20 years and I will get something else anyways.

With everything becoming miniaturized and interconnected that is hardly a reasonable expectation. Now I am not saying I want someone filming you. I just don't see how you can prevent it in this day and age. And if it is possible there is absolutely no market for it. I don't see Bruce Wayne style clicker that shuts down cameras being sold in walmart. I don't see complicated procedures in movie theaters to prevent cam recorders. Facebook (FYI I don't do facebook) generation values convenience and speed over privacy and security.

To single out google glasses seems to me completely unfair.
    I don't single them out. I don't want ANYONE to do it.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On first look these seem pretty nifty - recording "what you see" hands free is a good feature (if you've ever filmed something with a handhald device for more than a couple minutes, you know what a pain it can be) and the GPS overlay is a very useful feature. But yes there are definite privacy concerns here. Call me a statist, but if it were mandated that these types of devices have an obvious flashing red light appear whenever they're recording, I wouldn't cry about the intrusions of big brother government (but yeah, slippery slope - I know).

Well true, you shouldn't be afraid of what may or may not kill you. There's a new thing every week it seems.

I'll be the conspiritorial tin-foiler in saying that eventually this technology will have facial recognition software. [and more] It will have backdoors built for growing NSA, DIA, CIA type agencies and eventually will be used by the average law enforcer. They will be able to use private citizens' "resources" [their feed] as a means to track those that have 'committed crimes,' those with warrants, those who have no license, etc with accordance to the GPS feed I'm sure it will have.

Mark my words.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 03-11-2013 at 11:53 AM.

I think anyone who does not wish to be filmed, has the right to destroy the filming equipment, since they have invaded a person's privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by BAllen View Post
    I think anyone who does not wish to be filmed, has the right to destroy the filming equipment, since they have invaded a person's privacy.
    I'd agree, depending on whether I had a reasonable expectation of privacy. You won't even be able to tell though. I doubt there will be any recourse and you'd probably never even find out.

A troublesome technology in my eyes.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 03-10-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Found this site for detectors:

http://www.counter-surveillance.com/mcd22H.htm

200 bucks for this one.

I was wondering when somebody was going to mention that the owner of the bar in the OP already laid down the law and issued the rules for his private property. That is how you decide what places you may or may not wish to frequent depending on how you feel about possibly being filmed.

As far as public property, well thats just another in a line list of problems associated with public property, but don't we usually advocate for the right to film on public property when we are documenting police action and stuff?

Google Glass is going to taking creeping to a whole new level - perhaps even a legitimate spectator sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Google Glass is going to taking creeping to a whole new level - perhaps even a legitimate spectator sport.
    Pedos and perverts sure are going to have blast with them. I hope they get ocular cancer first...

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pedos and perverts sure are going to have blast with them. I hope they get ocular cancer first...
    Better yet, the ocular transmitted virus.

No one is looking toward the future on this. Glass might be able to record what you do right now as a video, but this will only be the first in a long series of progressively privacy invading advancements. One of them inevitably will be Google Contact Lenses. However, the ability to just record videos and "talk" to your glasses will also advance. At some point, you'll probably be able to "download apps" for their latest and greatest product (greatest is a very subjective term). But one of the things that people (mostly those that do NOT hang out on these forums, or have any concept of privacy) are going to want is some sort of Augmented Reality. When that happens, just getting in view of the GlASS will result in any viewed action being sent to Google, hence, recorded forever.

If you want to know where a technology is going, understand what is expected. It isnt going to just be Augmented Reality either. Just look at the storage space in a computer. In 20 years, we've gone from CD's holding an hour or so of music to something smaller than your thumbnail holding your entire music and movie library. Everything you do will be pretty much permanently recorded. And all of this information will be used AGAINST you. Any images captured of you will be automatically analyzed, categorized, indexed, and linked directly to YOU. That is to say if someone sees you smoking in public, the technology will not only be able to identify that activity, but probably be able to tell everyone exactly what brand of cigarettes they smoke.

There are two enablers here in this situation, the People that have ZERO RESPECT for the Privacy of others, and Govt that refuses to do anything to protect anyones Privacy. Google has become the middleman. Google collects all this data on you. Then, they turn around and do something with all that data. Google is a Private Company, and as such, they need to turn over a Profit. Doing a search on Google is Free, but it has a Cost. That cost is Data On You. You are the Product being Bought and Sold. Some of that information on you is made available for Free to others, but at the Cost of Their Privacy, which is also sold. Their physical products, like phones or glasses, will have a material value, thus, are not free. However since going Free is so profitable, the physical products also do everything in their power to fuel their primary profit base, your data.

You and I will probably not have any use what so ever for any of this data collected on anyone, but Govts and Corporations do. All that data being collected is not always intended to cause you harm, but it is available to cause you harm, and that is all that is needed. There are a lot of gun owners in the world, but not all of those guns are being used to commit crimes. It just takes one. In terms of data, what defines if the collection of data is good or bad is how it is used, same as a gun, and it only takes one bit of data compared to all the data on you do completely ruin your life.

The average person commits THREE FELONIES PER DAY.

Googles technology is a gateway to prosecute everyone for each and every single instance of those felonies. Didnt buckle up? Citation. Use a product for an unauthorized purpose? See ya in court. Fight the Power? You're pretty much screwed. But to maintain the Illusion of Freedom, charges for being associated with a Grassroots Liberty Movement will result in you disappearing for something OTHER than being a proponent of Liberty. Something like having expired Antibiotics in your Medicine Cabinet. Again, dont think about what is happening right now. We have "Soft Tyranny" now. Think of the future, and what this technology is going to be used for. Think of that one small bit of data on you and how it is going to be used against you 25 years, hell, 5 years from now. If you so much as look at something that says Ron Paul for more than a second, Google Glass is going to enable EVERYONE to know that, regardless of whether you bought their product or not. All it takes is either a Surveillance Camera or Google Glass. Pick a method of Surveillance that inevitably will occur in our Facist Future (5 to 25 years), then imagine a way that can be used against you. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a Court of Law. Notice that it says Law, not Justice.

A lot of the ways that technology will be used against people will make itself obvious when the people have zero recourse to defend themselves. And it will apply to every aspect of your life. If your Internet Toilet tells Google (again, Future) that your Sodium Levels are too high, and you are caught eating bacon, you are going to suffer consequences. Not just from the Government, but from Mega Corporations as well that want that data to increase their profit margins. Well, in this case, it might as well be the Government. But if you get caught eating Bacon, your Insurance Provider (most likely Govt) is gonna jack up your premiums.

But our most dangerous threat doesnt come from the Mandatory Compliance demanded by Corporations, our biggest threat will come from the inability to resist. When specific people start to make statements that what their Govts (and ruling Corporations) are doing is wrong, those people will be specifically targetted for "adjustments". Once again, FUTURE, and also, Maintain The Illusion. Those who even dare to speak of Liberty or the Constitution will not be told that they are "in trouble" for talking about Liberty. They will "go away" for any other possible reason. Dog Tags are Expired. Consuming a food that is beyond its Best Used By date. So when you start talking about Liberty in the Future, things will happen to you that will block your efforts to make any sort of meaningful resistance possible. Distraction is primary. Obstruction is secondary. Keep you busy fighting traffic tickets is plenty enough to eat your time that could be contributed to planning Resistance.

If you have absolutely ZERO PRIVACY, then consider Liberty to truly be dead. You cant speak about it. You cant think about it. You cant organize. You cant plan. You cant "conspire" with others. You cant cause any sort of meaningful change by yourself. You do need help to do it. You need a lot of people with a lot of angst to replace your Corrupted Government with a Government of the People, by the People, and for the People. Ron Paul himself never would have gotten off the ground if it wasnt for Privacy. We can communicate in Public, but each and every one of our true identities is rather difficult to discover. And that isnt going to last much longer. We would not be able to even so much as communicate with others about Ron Paul because he is a threat to the Status Quo.

Again, think of the Future. I have to say that pretty much each and every scenario because people compare the future only to how bad things are right now. So if that doesnt have any sort of meaningful relevance to you, then think of the past. Do you think that the American Revolution would have ever gotten off the ground if every thing they did and said was 100% monitored? They might have been able to start talking to others about defending themselves from an oppressive government, but after that, you'd find that Thomas Jefferson, Paul Revere, and pretty much the whole lot had been arrested "for something" (again also, Illusion), and the Revolution never would have taken place to begin with. Every uprising requires us to communicate with each other. This is why the internet has taken off. It isnt just to view stupid cat videos, it took off because of meaningful relevant communication. The People that fought for our Rights and Freedoms had to first organize and communicate to identify the problem, and communicate to come up with a solution to the problem. Then they had to communicate to learn how to resist. Then they had to communicate to resist. If at any time, communication had been impossible, the Revolutionary War never would have taken place. That is why I have such a strong opposition to Facebook. Facebook is not communication. Facebook IS Monitored Communication. So lets again, think to the past. If George Washington tried to use Facebook, as we have it today, to organize and communicate with others in the Resistance, how far do you think he would have been able to get?

The success of the Revolutionary War was determined by numerous things, but most importantly, it was determined by our Founding Fathers ability to be Private in their thoughts and actions. If you went to war with someone, and could just "Google" your enemies next move, how difficult would it be for you to defeat that enemy? That is what is happening to us right now. Does anyone think that during the last two Presidential Elections that supporters for every major opposing candidate were not all over this very site? All over Facebook? They wanted to know what our next move was. We were able to get quite far because of our numbers, but our strategies were heavily undermined because they knew what our plans were. There are two sides to every coin, and we stand on the edge of permanently coming up Tails. Some things need to be said in Public. Support Ron Paul because <insert supporting arguments here>. This is how the Federal Reserve Bank and Corporations control the Govt. Some things need to be said in Private. Our next attack is to achieve this goal, and will be at this time at this place with these people involved. And that requires Privacy.

Liberty and Freedom will always be Grassroots Movements, and Invasion of Privacy is nothing short of a Lawnmower.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

(double post, content was too long)

Grass needs to grow, just as the ideas of Liberty and Freedom need to grow in the minds of people. But in order to grow, it needs to be watered and fed, but cant be cut down before it reaches maturity. Seedling Grass does not immediately start bearing seeds. It is when mature grass begins to grow seeds that people spread the ideas of Liberty and Freedom to others. There are a lot of ways that grass can be prevented from growing. When there is no more Privacy, any opponents of Freedom and Liberty will utilize what they know about everyone to specifically cut down any opposition. As I mentioned above, usually about the Future, but also about Maintaining the Illusion, the way to cut down a supporter of Liberty and Freedom will have nothing to do with Liberty and Freedom itself. That is, until you have Hard Tyranny. Al Capone went to prison for Tax Evasion because the Govt was unable to convict him of Alcohol Sales, which, at that time, was defined as Illegal in the Constitution. But what do you think will happen to you, or anyone else that speaks of Liberty or Freedom? As I mentioned earlier, the average person commits Three Felonies Per Day. So if you oppose your would-be owners, your would-be owners will cut you down by charging you with any of those Three Felonies that you commit long before you start to plant the seeds of Liberty and Freedom as an idea in the minds of others. I sincerely believe that the ultimate goal of a world that is committed to Freedom and Liberty will be absolutely impossible if you have absolutely no Privacy. But you might think differently.

I have but one question for you, do you think that you will be able to win a Revolution without any form of Privacy?
    1776 > 1984

Good for you? But I think you going to be in the minority on this.
    Since when, in freedom and liberty circles, did my rights become subject to what the "majority wants"?

This surveillance technology and all it's demon spawn and brethren is not "cool" is not your friend and will be the death of liberty in our lifetimes.

Since we're all being contradictory here, I'll go on the record, and come out in favor of jail time for privacy violators.

The story was noted today on GeekWire.
    "For the record, The 5 Point is the first Seattle business to ban in advance Google Glasses," the post reads. "And ass kickings will be encouraged for violators."
    I'd make a special trip to Seattle just to take part.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Since when, in freedom and liberty circles, did my rights become subject to what the "majority wants"?

Welcome to the Idiocracy.

---

Invasion of Privacy does not require 100% compliance. Only enough to be able to monitor and record everyone and everything. Brown Shirts did not need to be 100% of the population for them to be a force to be reckoned with. All it requires is enough idiots to buy into the idea that what they are doing will result in no consequences of themselves, as they do not respect the Privacy of others. The technology does all the work. All they need to do is use a Privacy Invasive product or service on you.

Supporting any Invasion of Privacy is supporting Hard Tyranny.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 03-11-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    1776 > 1984

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12