Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul filibustering Brennan nomination on Senate floor

"Has there ever been a better defense of the Constitution and Bill of Rights in the Senate? The Rand Paul filibuster is epic."
    http://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/309376705473171456
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can't get through to Flake. I get his voicemail. It did take a while to get through to the switchboard though. A lot of people must be calling.

I really don't see the point of calling McCain.

Nice, Lord Acton quote from Rand!

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." - Lord Acton
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Ha! I just called both Indiana senators. I asked Senator Coate's aide whether bombing Americans on American soil was a Democrat or Republican position. When the aide started saying, "um... um..." I suggested that if it was NOT a Republican position, Senator Coates needs to get out there and support Rand Paul's filibuster.

Senator Donnelly (a Democrat) is apparently not answering his phones. My calls to him went straight to voice mail, ha!

Everyone - this is a GREAT chance to get some publicity in the area of domestic drone use. KEEP UP THE HEAT! PLEASE!!!
    Turn up the heat on your Senators, Rand is winning support to his side.

Does anybody know why Reid doesn't just come to the floor and see if he can get 60 votes for cloture? Is it because the GOP will stand by one of their own if he is filibustering?

The Drudge headline has changed to "Dr. Paul Goes to Washington"

I'm watching and I'm loving!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Yes he has but he also said he doesn't have a firm rule. Also CIA Director is not a Cabinet member. I'm not sure if Rand makes a distinction though.
    I actually got a neg rep on my post on that from a new member, even though I just asked a question that I was curious about and wanted an answer to. I'm not criticizing Rand for this, but I'm just trying to understand what his thinking is on cabinet nominations. When he tries to justify his vote for Hagel by saying that the President has the right to pick his cabinet, his adversaries will just point to his vote against Brennan as an example of inconsistency in Rand's approach.

THIS IS EPIC! Hope he had a big breakfast! Don't want him to pass out like Jefferson Smith in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. GO RAND! GO!
    Paranoia is having all of the facts.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Is anyone running a book on this? I would like to place some bets.

How long can he keep this going?
    How long before he runs out of intelligent things to say and starts listing Pokemon?

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Can't get through to Flake. I get his voicemail. It did take a while to get through to the switchboard though. A lot of people must be calling.

I really don't see the point of calling McCain.

McCain won't change his position, but it is always good to get the numbers on the record. That's why I called Donnelly in Indiana, who is a Democrat.

Thanks and +Rep for calling! If everyone made a couple of calls, we could really light the fire under some Washington D.C. bureaucrats!

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Ha! I just called both Indiana senators. I asked Senator Coate's aide whether bombing Americans on American soil was a Democrat or Republican position. When the aide started saying, "um... um..." I suggested that if it was NOT a Republican position, Senator Coates needs to get out there and support Rand Paul's filibuster.

Senator Donnelly (a Democrat) is apparently not answering his phones. My calls to him went straight to voice mail, ha!

Everyone - this is a GREAT chance to get some publicity in the area of domestic drone use. KEEP UP THE HEAT! PLEASE!!!
    just called Cantwell and Murray's office in D.C. Talked to staff. Quoted what you said. 'OK thanks for calling'...

I have not had a lot to smile about lately but this is making me smile.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Sen. Paul now trending. People are talking, and a lot of it seems positive.

Quote Originally Posted by whoisjohngalt View Post
    Is anyone running a book on this? I would like to place some bets.

How long can he keep this going?
    How long before he runs out of intelligent things to say and starts listing Pokemon?
    He's got a few Amendments he hasn't covered yet lol.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    Similar can be said for marriage, though Ron Paul said at GW this week that people should be able to do whatever they like as long as they don't force it on people and it's left to the states. He should adop that view.It'd definitely work well with pro same-sex marriage crowds if Paul basically said the government should have no business in their persona affairs.
    The government has no business in their personal affairs. Gay marriage has been decriminalized throughout our country's entire history.

The longer he goes the more attention they will be forced to give this in the mainstream media. There has to be some way we can get messages of support to Rand on the floor so he knows how much we are all behind him right now.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    just called Cantwell and Murray's office in D.C. Talked to staff. Quoted what you said. 'OK thanks for calling'...
    Thanks and +Rep!

Yeah, sometimes talking to the Senate aides is like talking to a robot. But the phone calls DO add up. I think most in the Senate figured this was a non-issue. Thanks to Rand and his filibuster, we have the chance to show them otherwise.

And it only works if we all call and (politely) raise hell.

Jeremy Herb ‏@JHerbTheHill

Sen. Sessions tells me no guidance yet on a Brennan vote -- or not -- happening today due to the Paul filibuster

Here you go Rand -

Paranoia is having all of the facts.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I actually got a neg rep on my post on that from a new member, even though I just asked a question that I was curious about and wanted an answer to. I'm not criticizing Rand for this, but I'm just trying to understand what his thinking is on cabinet nominations. When he tries to justify his vote for Hagel by saying that the President has the right to pick his cabinet, his adversaries will just point to his vote against Brennan as an example of inconsistency in Rand's approach.
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...es-his-answer/

It's pretty clear. He's continuing the filibuster of Brennan because there are still vital questions left unanswered. Even with the DOJ's admittance of potential uses of lethal military force on U.S. soil.

He voted to continue the filibuster of Hagel for the same reason. When he voted for Hagel's confirmation that was because, although he disagreed with his policies, he wasn't necessary unqualified (by the general mainstream standards, not ours) for the position. Rand's hope all along with filibustering both nominations wasn't to necessary deny them final confirmation, but it was to prolong the process into something meaningful where policy is discussed and defined. Rather than the usual rubber-stamping of political favorites that it's become.

There's no saying that if the filibuster fails if Rand will vote for Brennan's final confirmation or not at this point. He may yet still.

The vote to filibuster (deny cloture) is different than the vote to confirm. It's clear we understand the difference if we hope to be able to explain it to Rand's detractors.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."
    ~ President John Q. Adams ~

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This!! ^^^

And at times like this, calls are really the best way to turn up the heat.

(202) 224-3121 is the Senate switchboard, for those who don't want to take the time to look up their Senators.... Just tell the operator what state you live in, and they'll transfer you to the appropriate offices.

I promise to +Rep everyone who calls their senators and posts the story here!!! (even if it takes a week!)

I really like the idea someone posted here earlier: ask if bombing Americans on American soil is a Democratic position, or a Republican one. It's the perfect question for a senator of *either* party!!

He needs to learn sign language. He could restate his positions in sign and that way he could give his voice a break and appeal to deaf Americans.

Raimondo is giving this a lot of positive converge on twitter. e.g.:

If America falls into tyranny, @SenRandPaul's filibuster will go down in history as the lone cry of a patriot, a modern day Paul Revere

https://twitter.com/JustinRaimondo

#RandPaul trending #1 on twitter now
    the rEVOLution begins!

Just called Senators Levin and Stabenow in MI

and Rubio and Nelson in FL.

Are the staff readying cots in the office? This is what our Government is about. A lone voice bringing debate for all the people

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Calling right now, on hold. taking a while
    Apparently Sen Levin's office is closed right now Left a message to support the filibuster and to not favor drone strikes on Americans on American soil. Stabenow coming up next.

Quote Originally Posted by Darguth View Post
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...es-his-answer/

It's pretty clear. He's continuing the filibuster of Brennan because there are still vital questions left unanswered. Even with the DOJ's admittance of potential uses of lethal military force on U.S. soil.

He voted to continue the filibuster of Hagel for the same reason. When he voted for Hagel's confirmation that was because, although he disagreed with his policies, he wasn't necessary unqualified (by the general mainstream standards, not ours) for the position. Rand's hope all along with filibustering both nominations wasn't to necessary deny them final confirmation, but it was to prolong the process into something meaningful where policy is discussed and defined. Rather than the usual rubber-stamping of political favorites that it's become.

There's no saying that if the filibuster fails if Rand will vote for Brennan's final confirmation or not at this point. He may yet still.

The vote to filibuster (deny cloture) is different than the vote to confirm. It's clear we understand the difference if we hope to be able to explain it to Rand's detractors.
    It doesn't seem like there's any point of Rand voting to confirm Brennan if he's going to all of this trouble to filibuster his nomination. If he's going to all of this effort to filibuster the nomination, he might as well vote against final confirmation as well. That would be the consistent position.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast