Thread: yahoo finance thinks RP is a bad investor (Yahoo doesn't look at price of gold since 2007)

yahoo finance thinks RP is a bad investor (Yahoo doesn't look at price of gold since 2007)

Not sure why they felt a need to cover a non-story, but I thought I'd share.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/though...151224620.html
    Earlier today we revisited former Texas Congressman Ron Paul's precious metal-heavy portfolio.
    Paul is one of the most famous advocates of gold as an investment, so we took a look at how his 64 percent precious metal portfolio was handling the recent crash in the price of gold.
    We took a look at the three major mining stocks that the Wall Street Journal described as the largest of Paul's holdings. Here's what has happened to them in the past six months:

• Newmont Mining Company: –24.17%
    • Goldcorp Holdings: –24.21%
    • Barrick Gold: –27.14%

While those were reported as his largest holdings, Paul did report owning shares of a swathe of "junior" mining companies, considered smaller and riskier bets.
    We took a look at how those mining companies performed in the past six months. The result is a series of brutal losses:
    • Agnico Eagle Mines : –20.6%
    • Allied Nevada Gold Corp: –49.03%
    • Alumina Common: +51.28 %
    • Anglo Gold Ashanti Ltd. –29.55%
    • BrigusGold Corp. Com MPV: –23.39%
    • Claude Research Inc: –46.67%
    • Coeur D'Alene Mines Corp: –24.92%
    • Hecla Mining Co: –26.94
    • El Dorado Gold Corp: Not Listed
    • IAM Gold Corp: –54.54%
    • Kinross: – 17.42%
    • Lexam Explorations Inc: – 29.41%
    • Mag Silver Corp: –17.39%
    • Metalline Mining Co: Not Listed
    • Pan American Silver: –17.55%
    • Silver Wheaton Corp: –15.57%
    • Virginia Mines Inc: +5.15%
    • Vista Gold Corp. –48.32%
    • Viterra Inc +0.62%
    • Wesdome Gold Mines Ltd: –38.21%

Looking at the twenty-one publicly listed mining companies in the Ron Paul portfolio, the average return on investment was a dismal –22.62% over the past six months.
    Given that the Wall Street Journal reported that Paul's portfolio was worth between $2.44 million and $5.46 million — and that 64 percent of his assets were in these precious metal stocks — a veryloose estimate is that Ron Paul has lost between $353,204 and $790,366 over the past six months, based on the average loss of his mining holdings.
    The moral of the story: don't just be in gold related assets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Not sure why they felt a need to cover a non-story, but I thought I'd share.
    Because the recent dip in metals prices gave them an opportunity to discredit the otherwise smart investment strategy over the past decade of someone establishment types consider to be an 'enemy', not to mention an asset class they consider to be an enemy.

We didn't see such an 'investigation' a few months ago, and don't expect to see one in a few more months when Dr. Paul's portfolio is again outpacing standard investment strategies.

He's had monster gains since 2000 some of them up 1,000%+

Yahoo finance are lame.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Because the recent dip in metals prices gave them an opportunity to discredit the otherwise smart investment strategy over the past decade of someone establishment types consider to be an 'enemy', not to mention an asset class they consider to be an enemy.

We didn't see such an 'investigation' a few months ago, and don't expect to see one in a few more months when Dr. Paul's portfolio is again outpacing standard investment strategies.
    Exactly. Moral of the story should have been: Markets fluctuate.

They're not really wrong, Ron has made a ton of money from Gold, but you have to hedge against this type of thing.
    "Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul with a heart, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul"

I wonder why we don't see investigations into the "equity-heavy" (i.e., "standard") investments of some high-profile leftist politicians when the market is down?

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post

Yeah. I mean the DOW just hit 2007 levels and passed it! wow!!

Meanwhile, comparing gold prices to 2007 levels...... um.... nevermind....?

December 31, 2007

Gold Price Close Today : 839.60
    Gold Price Close 21st of December: 811.60
    Change: $28 or 3.4%
    gold price today:

http://silver-and-gold-prices.goldpr...1_archive.html

Ron has hinted we might get a correction in gold. When people asked him he said 'even if there is some correction, over TIME...' it preserves value.. as opposed to an 'investment' in the classic sense. But he is just saying what HE does.

Regardless, Yahoo should invest their money however they find it best to invest.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 03-06-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CTRattlesnake View Post
    They're not really wrong, Ron has made a ton of money from Gold, but you have to hedge against this type of thing.
    sure. Anything, including a specific commodity can have a bubble or run on it (in the case of gold) due to fear. That doesn't change the underlying principle, but it does make for peaks and valleys along the way.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Comment by J (saves me the trouble of saying the same thing):

No, the moral of the story is investing is measured over a long term plan, not a six month timeframe. How does this garbage get published? The author should have given the total performance of Paul's portfolio since purchase to give perspective. Does this pass for journalism nowadays?
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Ron Paul's been invested in those stocks for 10+ years. They've gone up multiple hundreds of % since then. Just looking at the last 6mo correction price is completely missing the big picture. Super dumb article that I didn't read.

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    Ron Paul's been invested in those stocks for 10+ years. They've gone up multiple hundreds of % since then. Just looking at the last 6mo correction price is completely missing the big picture. Super dumb article that I didn't read.
    You didn't really miss anything. Just some joker with an apparent grudge against RP and/or gold advocates using a half-assed analysis technique to "prove" RP is supposedly a bad investor and/or that gold a foolish thing to convert FRNs into. I just occasionally like to read these silly hit pieces because they're rather comical.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Day traders are ignorant to long term trends.

Yahoo may be paid to discredit gold investors. They may have interests in the ponzi scheme stock market.

They can keep the Yahoo Finance and I will keep my investments , pfft.

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    He's had monster gains since 2000 some of them up 1,000%+

Yahoo finance are lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAllen View Post
    Yahoo may be paid to discredit gold investors. They may have interests in the ponzi scheme stock market.
    If I'm not mistaken, a lot of people write for yahoo news.

Just one illogical apple? maybe.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    sure. Anything, including a specific commodity can have a bubble or run on it (in the case of gold) due to fear. That doesn't change the underlying principle, but it does make for peaks and valleys along the way.
    I think the fear has yet to begin.

This by the leftist BI. Total stooges.

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, a lot of people write for yahoo news.

Just one illogical apple? maybe.
    Yeah, yahoo carries a lot of syndicated stuff too, by AP, Reuters, etc. Most of it is badly written in my experience, so I only read it when an interesting story shows up.

Yeah, yahoo carries a lot of syndicated stuff too, by AP, Reuters, etc. Most of it is badly written in my experience, so I only read it when an interesting story shows up.
    Yeah this has been my experience too. They probably pay their writers poorly or have bad hiring standards.

They should spice it up with Fire 11 Financials column.

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    Yeah this has been my experience too. They probably pay their writers poorly or have bad hiring standards.
    Do they have staff writers for national current events? I've only seen them carry stuff sent out to all the news outlets by Reuters, AP, etc. Their staff writers, AFAIK, only write fluff pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    They should spice it up with Fire 11 Financials column.
    I bet that would get more readers.

I bet that would get more readers.
    Hell yes and be much more entertaining.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.