Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUBWAY Founder Slams Regulations: 'If I Started Today, SUBWAY Would Not Exist

SUBWAY Founder Slams Regulations: 'If I Started Today, SUBWAY Would Not Exist

[video]

SIMON HOBBS, CNBC: You know, it's 13 years since you wrote the book Start Small, Finish Big, which was about grassroots entrepreneurship. Do you think the environment for those chasing the American dream by setting up their own business has gotten worse or better in those 13 years?

FRED DELUCA, SUBWAY FOUNDER: It's continuously gotten worse because there's more and more regulations and it's tougher for people to get into business, especially a small business. I tell you, if I started Subway today, Subway would not exist, because I had an easy time of it in the '60s when I started and I just see a continuous increase in regulation.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...not_exist.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've heard many business owner's including me and some in my family members say the same thing about having not started the businesses we have because of the huge taxation and regulations we face at the federal/state/local level.
    In 200 years the American people have replaced 1 dictator 3,000 miles away with 3,000 dictators 1 mile away.

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.--Benjamin Franklin

No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe
    while our legislature is in session
    .--Benjamin Franklin

Yeah most small businesses can't even be replicated today. That's why there's basically just retail nonsense opening and closing the next day inside strip malls. It's too damn expensive hiring employees any longer as well, yet some businesses need an employee or a few to even operate, but almost every business owner will say they wished they didn't even need employees, or wish they could find a business that doesn't require an employee. The regulations are a whole other thing, that basically increase year over year, and owners become employees of the government filling out all of the bull$#@! involved and following their rules. It's beyond time this country hits the reset button. There is absolutely no way this country will ever see boom times again til you get the government off the peoples backs.

Quote Originally Posted by lx43 View Post
    I've heard many business owner's including me and some in my family members say the same thing about having not started the businesses we have because of the huge taxation and regulations we face at the federal/state/local level.
    Rothbard teaches that this is the sole reason regulations were brought about.

This may be our single most important message and selling point. The economy is the way it is because of Washington, D.C. If it weren't for that problem, American Enterprise would be what it always was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

IIRC, Subway started during a FED and war-fueled boom. Not a fair comparison, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    IIRC, Subway started during a FED and war-fueled boom. Not a fair comparison, IMO.
    oh would you shut up?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Eating establishments were founded during the Great Depression. Working people still have to eat lunch, regardless of the state of the economy.

It isn't the economy. It's the regulations. And the regulations are responsible for the state of the economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    oh would you shut up?

Sometimes it feels like junior high in here.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Sometimes i feel like there's a real big assburger everywhere.

How many people do not have jobs because of the government? I can tell you from experience, it's one hell of a lot.

That's ok, EBT cards for everyone!
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Sometimes i feel like there's a real big assburger everywhere.
    lolz

WTF is wrong with Americans? Doesn't the CEO of Subway realize Washington DC is the Muppets of Fascism in harmony with Big Trusts; Banksters, Media, Corporations...

The whole idea is to ensure no up-and-comer takes a slice of THEIR pie. The Pie that buys all those spineless traitors inside the DC Beltway.

Look at the amount of money spent on the political prostitutes through the money laundering frontmen called lobyist... It's Billions: http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=l
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Home Depot co-founder said the same thing a couple years ago:

Marcus: The U.S. government. Having built a small business into a big one, I can tell you that today the impediments that the government imposes are impossible to deal with. Home Depot would never have succeeded if we'd tried to start it today. Every day you see rules and regulations from a group of Washington bureaucrats who know nothing about running a business. And I mean every day. It's become stifling.

Read More At IBD: Home Depot Co-Founder: Obama Is Choking Recovery - Investors.com http://news.investors.com/072011-578...#ixzz2MAehMhrn
    Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    How many people do not have jobs because of the government? I can tell you from experience, it's one hell of a lot.

That's ok, EBT cards for everyone!
    Nearly everyone I know now works for the government, after being forced out of the private sector.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, of course not. But you can't tell me these people aren't happy about regulations shutting down their competition.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

We own a small business (since '88) and neither would ours. DH said yesterday that he feels like he's living Atlas Shrugged. The hours in one day that he has to deal with (unbelievably rude) bureaucrats who produce nothing and do nothing but jam him up all day long, slowing down production.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Eating establishments were founded during the Great Depression. Working people still have to eat lunch, regardless of the state of the economy.

It isn't the economy. It's the regulations. And the regulations are responsible for the state of the economy.
    Yup.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/ame...ship-is-dying/

"That's what governments are for... get in a man's way."
    --Mal
    Last edited by Lucille; 02-28-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

If there is a financial collapse does anyone think there will be an increase in small businesses?
    I mean people saying screw the taxes and regulations, I need to feed my family.

In my mind if there is a collapse and the government can't function then there would not be anyone to enforce those taxes and regulations. I don't have the best grasp on the whole situation. Just some things I think about.
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

Quote Originally Posted by shane77m View Post
    If there is a financial collapse does anyone think there will be an increase in small businesses?
    I mean people saying screw the taxes and regulations, I need to feed my family.

In my mind if there is a collapse and the government can't function then there would not be anyone to enforce those taxes and regulations. I don't have the best grasp on the whole situation. Just some things I think about.
    Um...thats happening all around you. There are a TON of people who have started to employ themselves (maybe not others) since 2008

By our many cooperations, we find ourselves overcome by prosperity....

...oh, wait a sec... you can't do that! We are a nation of LAWS! RESPECT OR DIE!

"Christian" nations are so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Um...thats happening all around you. There are a TON of people who have started to employ themselves (maybe not others) since 2008
    I thought there was a pole that said around 90% of Americans don't believe in cheating on their taxes?
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

Banned

Blog Entries
    I am in the process of starting my own business. It's fun, and I am meeting tons of people who have done the same.
    All that regulation crap... ..who cares?

I saw a guy on Youtube recently talk about the new mantra of Americans regarding the government:

"I ignore you"
    I think it is a powerful movement, and I think it is swelling. $#@! their licenses, taxes, etc. Nobody cares what the government has to say. They are all a bunch of inept buffoons anyway. They are too busy trolling facebook to actually do any enforcing of these codes and regulations. Want to start a business? Craigs list, Ebay, local fairs, farmers markets... ...just find the local people and work with them. They care about conforming to taxes and regulations about as much as you do.

Also note that there was a backlash against the industrial revolution, the cottage industry. People started to just do things themselves again, and handmade items made a comeback.

Fact is, there is no need to purchase anything anymore, really. Utilitarian objects are starting to lose their luster, and handcrafted, locally produced goods and services are making a comeback, because locally produced goods and services are making a comeback. See how that works? People all over the place are going into business for themselves, and because they are doing so, they are only spending their income on other local businesses. Doing this also encourages barter, which leaves very little, if any paper trail.

You need friends, not FRN's, to get your breaks fixed, or a tattoo, or help constructing your shop, or painting done.
    Last edited by UWDude; 02-28-2013 at 05:54 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    I am in the process of starting my own business. It's fun, and I am meeting tons of people who have done the same.

I saw a guy on Youtube recently talk about the new mantra of Americans regarding the government:

"I ignore you"
    I think it is a powerful movement, and I think it is swelling. $#@! their licenses, taxes, etc. Nobody cares what the government has to say. They are all a bunch of inept buffoons anyway. They are too busy trolling facebook to actually do any enforcing of these codes and regulations. Want to start a business? Craigs list, Ebay, local fairs, farmers markets... ...just find the local people and work with them. They care about conforming to taxes and regulations about as much as you do.

Also note that there was a backlash against the industrial revolution, the cottage industry. People started to just do things themselves again, and handmade items made a comeback.

Fact is, there is no need to purchase anything anymore, really. Utilitarian objects are starting to lose their luster, and handcrafted, locally produced goods and services are making a comeback, because locally produced goods and services are making a comeback. See how that works? People all over the place are going into business for themselves, and because they are doing so, they are only spending their income on other local businesses. Doing this also encourages barter, which leaves very little, if any paper trail.

You need friends, not FRN's, to get your breaks fixed, or a tattoo, or help constructing your shop, or painting done.
    Good points!

"I ignore you"
    I think it is a powerful movement, and I think it is swelling. $#@! their licenses, taxes, etc. Nobody cares what the government has to say.
    Now that is what I am talking about. People starting their own business and ignoring the government.

Which begs the question: how much of the future has been stolen away thanks to government? What things would you have seen and been able to do if slave-rment had not existed.

LibForestPaul

"I ignore you"

When you get noticed, and get a boot up your @ss let me know hot it is ignoring the thugs with badges.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    When you get noticed, and get a boot up your @ss let me know hot it is ignoring the thugs with badges.
    I won't get noticed. I doubt I'll ever make enough to get noticed. I'm not in it to get rich, I'm in it to not get rich enough to ever pay taxes again.

I'd rather be a pauper than pay taxes.

I'd rather be a pauper than work for the man.

"I ignore you"
    I own a business that currently employs 11 people, and does well over a million revenue. I completely agree with this. Just do it first, apologize later, and hope you're lucky. I try to follow the law as best I can but it is just stupid how restrictive it is.

Case in point: Missouri sales/use tax license. Basic license every single business needs. It is form 2643:
    http://dor.mo.gov/forms/2643.pdf

You are supposed to estimate how much monthly taxable revenue you will have, and multiply it by the average tax rate, which comes to your estimated sales tax liability for three months, which is the amount you have to pay as a bond. It also says:

*If you calculate the amount of bond to be less than $500, you are only required to submit a $25 bond ($500 minimum bond for liquor
    sales). If you calculate your bond to be $500 or greater, you should submit the amount of bond figured. The Director of Revenue may
    require you to adjust the bond amount to a level satisfactory to cover your tax liabilities or if returns are not filed timely and the taxes fully
    paid.

So I walk on in to the tax office (BIG mistake, should have done it online) with my filled-out form and a $25 money order. Since our business is primarily online and B2B, our taxable income was very low. Heck, I had been operating for 5 years with no license.

The lady at the desk is of course a minimum-wage peon, and simply states that my bond has to be $500, because it is a "retail location." I inform her of the nature of the business, and tell her that it is a warehouse in a business park. And even so, the form says nothing about arbitrary changes to the required bond, just adjusting it later if you stop paying. But nope... she says that I have to pay $500.

This luckily wasn't a problem for me since I wasn't just starting the business, but I saw another lady right in front of me (when I came back with the new $500 check) who was trying to do crafts out of her house and got the same thing. Missouri effectively has a $500 tax to start your business.

Ever since then, I just file everything online, ignore most requests for information, and go about my own business. It is really a mess.
    Last edited by pauljmccain; 02-28-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast