Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul votes NO on Hagel cloture (update: votes YES on confirmation)

Rand Paul votes NO on Hagel cloture (update: votes YES on confirmation)

http://news.antiwar.com/2013/02/26/g...tion-expected/

Quote Originally Posted by Antiwar.com
    But even some of Hagel’s harshest, right-wing opponents voted in favor of cloture, including John McCain, Lindsey Graham, and Kelley Ayotte.

Senator Rand Paul, however, who has tried to portray himself as a realist who favors restraint and prudence in foreign policy, voted against Hagel, despite the fact that the GOP’s distaste for Hagel largely centered on the reputation as a realist that Paul is trying to build for himself.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He voted against cloture.
    I ignore the fact that RP's take back the GOP strategy is working. I ignore the fact that RP accomplished more from his 2008 GOP run than he ever has before. I ignore the fact that 3rd party candidates lose and are a joke to voters. I ignore all this b/c I have an arousing fantasy where RP runs 3rd party in 2012, magically polls at 15%, magically is allowed in the debates, and then magically wins the election. Trust me, it'll work this time.
    - The naive attitude of too many RPF members

Yes, that was a cloture vote. Not the nomination vote.

On the Cloture Motion (Upon Reconsideration Motion to Invoke Cloture on the Nomination of Charles T. Hagel, of Nebraska, to be Secretary of Defense )
    http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00023
    Last edited by FrankRep; 02-26-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Brian Doherty with some actual logic here...

http://reason.com/blog/2013/02/26/ra...t-to-block-chu

This morning, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) voted no on cloture on the Chuck Hagel appointment for Secretary of Defense--meaning he's voting to continue to block a vote on the nomination. Paul was in the minority of a 71-27 vote, and the actual vote on Hagel's nomination might happen as early as this afternoon.

A portion of the old Ron Paul-supporting conservative/libertarian non-intervention foreign policy intelligentsia believed very passionately that Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) should have supported Chuck Hagel for Defense Secretary all the way, not tried to block him. Paul said as recently as yesterday that he wasn't sure whether he would actually vote for Hagel's nomination when the vote comes up, and that he generally respects the president's ability to pick his cabinet, as Politico reported.

Some of the reasons why a portion of the anti-intervention right is peeved at Paul over this, as expressed by Daniel Larison at the American Conservative, here and here. To sum up those objections to Paul's obstructionism on Hagel: Roughly. since Hagel is opposed by those who seem to want a more interventionist U.S. presence in the Middle East (for his supposedly being insufficiently passionate about fighting for Israel, and for later on having doubts about the Iraq War he at first supported), Paul needs to support him to prove his bonafides.

This belief that Paul needs to unambiguously be for Hagel to prove he will be a decent foreign policy voice seems to go beyond any firm belief that Hagel as Defense Secretary in the Obama administration will actually be an effective noninterventionist. That he will be is questionable, as Ed Krayewski blogged here at Hit and Run.

The belief that Rand Paul must support Hagel seems rooted rather in a sort of team-politics belief that being for Hagel unequivocally shows you can't be pushed around by the larger politico-cultural forces of interventionism. Paul, to this reading, won't satisfy such critics if he misses any chance to wage politico-cultural war against anyone seen as for interventionism, whether or not the action has a substantive connection to any real bad actions in the world, from a non-interventionist perspective.

For his part, Paul says he thinks the more important thing he's doing is obstructing John Brennan for CIA, over his thoughts on domestic drones, as discussed in Daily Caller and Business Insider.

My earlier blogging on Paul and Hagel. Recall that Paul's stated reasons for opposition have nothing to do with Hagel being insufficiently raring to fight in the Middle East--they were a belief that he's been insufficiently transparent about possible appearance-of-impropriety issues of who he'd taken money from in his career.

Deciding that one of the few Republicans making a concerted effort to talk about containment rather than war as a strategy to deal with any threats from a nuclear Iran or radical Islam (the anti-interventionists mad at Paul would rather he talk about how there really isn't any such threat at all) is now a villain over a Hagel cloture vote strikes me as premature. This cloture vote is not a simple vote for or against intervention; treating it as such may well underestimate how good a foreign policy Senator (or eventual presidential candidate) Rand Paul will be.

Yes, because McCain's dislike of Hagel is the only reason on the planet to oppose the man.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Raimondo now on the offensive against Doherty. This is going to be hilarious by the end of the day. (4:30 PM confimation vote)

Justin Raimondo ‏@JustinRaimondo
    @brianmdoherty Tortured prose = tortured logic. I thought "containment" was Hagel's big sin, yet Rand Paul is supposedly for it.

If Rand voted for Hagel, people like Cruz, Coburn and Johnson would just let Brennan through. Brennan is an extremely dangerous nominee. Rand understands this threat and is trying to do everything he can to slow him down and get his word that he will not kill off US citizens within the United States, even if that means opposing Hagel. Rand will need all the help he can get to do this. If his fellow conservative Senators think of Rand as the guy who sold them out on Hagel, they won't give him that help and Brennan will pass the Senate almost unanimously.

Unlike some of you guys, Rand is both principled and practical and that's what makes him such a great Senator.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    Raimondo now on the offensive against Doherty. This is going to be hilarious by the end of the day. (4:30 PM confimation vote)
    Reminds me of how Mish and Denninger were trying to ride Schiff's coattails to notoriety.

Here's another...

Justin Raimondo ‏@JustinRaimondo
    @daveweigel Rand Paul is Ted Cruz in a toupee

Sometimes the entire liberty movement just needs to be smacked in the head.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Raimondo is kind of a prick.

As for the Hagel vote, I understand why Rand voted against him. He would be eaten alive by the AM radio buffoons. Hagel will almost certainly be confirmed today and while I understand some of the opposition to him, it will be very satisfying to see Kristol, Beck, Hannity, and Levin all get it stuck to them.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...israel-policy/

I hate AmCon's lumping of the Tea Party as all in with the war party. I just don't understand that magazine. They seem so liberal on domestic policy and treat Hagel as if he's one of their own...

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    If Rand voted for Hagel, people like Cruz, Coburn and Johnson would just let Brennan through. Brennan is an extremely dangerous nominee. Rand understands this threat and is trying to do everything he can to slow him down and get his word that he will not kill off US citizens within the United States, even if that means opposing Hagel. Rand will need all the help he can get to do this. If his fellow conservative Senators think of Rand as the guy who sold them out on Hagel, they won't give him that help and Brennan will pass the Senate almost unanimously.

Unlike some of you guys, Rand is both principled and practical and that's what makes him such a great Senator.
    Has cruz made any public statements about drones? I can't seem to find any votes or videos about his foreign policy views, other than the Hagel hearings.

I neither care that Rand voted to block cloture or Hagel nor that antiwar.com criticized Rand for the vote.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

And Paul just voted for confirmation. Will be among maybe only 3 or 4 Republicans to do so.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    anti-war.com being FOR Hagel for the sake of being AGAINST Rand Paul is just so ironic.

They need to give it up.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

And Paul just voted for confirmation. Will be among maybe only 3 or 4 Republicans to do so.
    Wow. That's bad news to me. He's going to receive huge criticism for that vote.

Dave Weigel will have a story up shortly. He interviewed Rand about the Hagel drama.

I guess Rand just felt that it was the right thing to do even though it will hurt him politically.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Wow. That's bad news to me. He's going to receive huge criticism for that vote.

why?

Here come the neocons...

LilMissErinGoBragh ‏@LilMissRightie
    @randpaul just voted for Hagel? Oh. *checks Paul's name off of...well everything* #BiteMe

What a disappointment. Apparently he has some of that Jew hatred in him like his Dad. What other possibly explanation could there be?

Hagel gave the most disastrous confirmation in the history of appointments. That alone should have disqualified.
    Very telling where his mind his. #DaJoooooooos

People these days....

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    why?
    Because the Red State, free republic, hot air crowd absolutely hate Hagel.

Here come the neocons.
    Yep. Extremely damaging vote by Rand.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, but if they start spewing anti-Jewish stuff they just look ridiculous.

And it's also the same losers....

Ken Gardner ‏@kesgardner
    Rand Paul voted to CONFIRM Hagel? So. much. FAIL.

Ken Gardner ‏@kesgardner
    You can't be for individual liberty on domestic policy while effectively supporting some of the worst regimes on Earth. #glasshouserules
    Ken Gardner ‏@kesgardner
    It's one thing to vote for someone even if you disagree with his policies. It's another thing to support an unqualified fringe nominee.

Bill Kristol chimes in.
    http://www.committeeforisrael.com/ou...ary_of_defense

"We fought the good fight, and are proud to have done so. We salute all those -- Democrats and Republicans, Christians and Jews -- who joined with us in the effort to secure a better Secretary of Defense. We are heartened that the overwhelming majority of senators from one of the two major parties voted against confirming Mr. Hagel. We take some comfort in Mr. Hagel's confirmation conversions on the issues of Israel and Iran, and do believe that, as a result of this battle, Mr. Hagel will be less free to pursue dangerous policies at the Defense Department and less inclined to advocate them within the administration. And since hope is an American characteristic and a Jewish virtue, we will also say that we hope Mr. Hagel will rise to the occasion and successfully discharge his weighty duties. In this task we wish him well.

"This battle against Chuck Hagel is over. The fight for a principled, pro-Israel foreign policy goes on."

I'm just afraid that there are going to be non stop commercials run against Rand for this vote in 2016. Oh well. Maybe Rand is just more principled than I thought.

OK, I wasn't going to pitch in that this is the first time I've seen Rand trend on twitter, but Raimondo taking credit for his vote is just too hilarious: https://twitter.com/JustinRaimondo/s...25838814367745
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Raimondo is claiming credit lol

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast