Thread: High Fructose Corn Syrup is #1 Ingredient in Phills BBQ Sauce...

Unhappy High Fructose Corn Syrup is #1 Ingredient in Phills BBQ Sauce...

Discovered that high fructose corn syrup is the #1 ingredient in many mainstream BBQ sauces, including... PHILS

Sucks.

I will be returning our ample supply of sauce to Costco and never consuming their sauce again as long as the HFCS remains.

Why is HFCS in so many products? Answer: The government.
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/alston/alston13.html

Effects of High Fructose Corn Syrup...
    Insulin resistance, diabetes, obesity, inhibits your brain's ability to learn and remember information,also raises your uric acid levels – it typically generates uric acid within minutes of ingestion – which in turn can wreak havoc on your blood pressure, insulin production, and kidney function. So far, scientific studies have linked fructose to about 78 different diseases and health problems.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Heinz Ketchup makes an HFCS-free version of their amazing ketchup. Very glad of that, I am.

HFCS is in everything. I spend half my time at the grocery store reading labels. It's ridiculous.

I make my own BBQ. We make our ketchup from the garden or or you could buy HFCS free organic from the up class grocer. Then we turn the ketchup into BBQ by adding (all organic) tamari (wheat free soy sauce; soy-water-salt-enzyme), chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, either honey or sorghum, and black pepper. Sometimes a pinch of mustard, red wine vinegar, cayenne, or black strap; depending upon dish. Ingredients are in diminishing quantities in that order, by eye not recipe. I often stir up just enough for dinner or to slather a beef, but the flavor is best if you let it sit overnight. All of those ingredients we purchase bi annually in either gallon bulk (liquids) or by the pound (powders) through online vendors. Pound for pound we pay less for organic than you do for off the shelf consumer sized BBQ. You can also buy your ketchup this way; either in bulk or consumer size by the case.

You can count on any of that "cook off competition" grade, or ma-n-pa south of mason dixie BBQ joint; REAL southern BBQ; pulled pig and smoked brisket, being slathered in a home made by-the-ingredient BBQ sauce not something off the shelf.

I don't do much label reading anymore... If you're having this realization about HFCS, its a phase, you'll get past it and just learn to avoid the obvious and stick with organic whole food ingredients; make your own sauces (and everything else). As a rule of thumb, in our home, we mix the ingredients of the foods we eat; not industry. Doing so is healthier and it saves money. I guess what I'm saying is I don't really "read ingredients" because we only really buy stand alone ingredients.

Actually... I'm trying to think of what stuff I actually eat that has "ingredients" in it.... Stumped... Well... I do eat an organic version of cheerios; full circle brand organic toasted oat O's: "whole grain oats w/ bran, rice flour, sugar, salt, calcium carbonate, and vitamin E." We usually pay less per pound that if we bought cheerios brand's concoction of ingredients. I'm not coming up with too many more foods I eat with "ingredients". The peanut butter and rice cakes we buy both have "salt" in them? Our rice pasta is "rice flour and water". Hrm.... Sometimes I'll get into a juice that has two or more 100% juices mixed in one bottle... I'm junking out when I do that. Wait wait wait... mustard... that has organic "mustard, vinegar, salt, tumeric, paprika". I think that's it... Mostly my wife is into the mustard; I call her a city girl when she asks for it. I'll usually eat a chicken salad with vinaigrette if I'm out in babylon; I like to think its safe?

Personally, I don't eat ANYTHING corn, wheat, or dairy.

The Mrs gets into cheese... "milk, enzymes, salt" on the label. She loves on a pizza from town... I won't touch it.

Good luck!

/foodsnob
    Last edited by presence; 02-26-2013 at 10:33 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Excellent information! +rep

How to Reverse the Effects of HFCS and Mercury
    http://www.truthistreason.net/how-to...y-heavy-metals

(...)

Avoiding High Fructose Corn Syrup

Avoiding corn syrup nowadays is like driving down a road hoping not to encounter any other vehicles. You will quickly learn that almost everything you consume has high fructose corn syrup in it. Now think about that for a minute. With the latest reports associating HFCS to increased pancreatic cancer and finally learning that the body handles fructose differently than regular sugar, allowing cancer cells to proliferate and actually promote growth, do you understand you are overloading your body with this poison? Soft drinks, bread, processed foods, anything microwavable, even canned fruits and vegetables, chilis, soups, cereals, potato chips – the list is endless – contain HFCS. How can you actually avoid high fructose syrup? For starters, plan to spend a few extra dollars when you go grocery shopping and buy quality food; buy quality, FRESH food. If possible, buy organic! That is the easiest way to avoid most HFCSs!

Another great way to avoid large amounts of HFCS is to stop drinking so many soft drinks. Yes, you. I’m talking about you! We’re all guilty of it but it’s time to say good-bye to the Sprite and Dr. Pepper. I know they are enticing and taste great – but with each sip, you are drinking a little more mercury; ingesting a little corn syrup and literally killing your body. With each can, you are giving the green light for cancerous cells to ravage your insides. Remember, pancreatic cancer is the most dangerous and can not be operated on.

Think about the last 20-30 years or so and the surge in cancer rates. In 1950, did little Mary Jane of the nuclear-styled family have high school-aged friends dying of cancer? No. In fact, cigarettes were thought to have health benefits and no one worried about it. Now that little Mary Jaane has grown up and had kids, and fed them processed, microwaved foods – and given them countless cans of soda after school – they grew up and are starting to have kids themselves. These kids are being born with the highest rates of autism, ADHD and other cognitive problems that we have ever seen. Obviously, there are many factors in this – environment, chemicals, air quality, etc – but chief among them is high fructose corn syrup and the overwhelming amount of mercury in their bodies. The classic signs and symptoms are present and it’s time we educate our fellow neighbors and loved ones about something that is preventable!

We will now look at some all-natural ways to detox the body from these harmful substances and even begin to repair it!

Continued...
    Last edited by donnay; 02-26-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Are you guys talking about all natural corn sugar? The TV told me that sugar is sugar. You guys are all conspiracy nut bags. More Dr. Pepper for me!

(do I really need a sarc tag?)

Whatever phills is, it is the same first item on sweet baby rays.

good thing I can't stand that stuff, but my family all loves it.
    No one reads signatures.

Only times I've ever liked BBQ sauce is when I went to this place called "Corky's" in Memphis, and this place in DC that I think was called "Hogs on the Hill"--think that name is a bit off though.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    HFCS is in everything. I spend half my time at the grocery store reading labels. It's ridiculous.
    Its a lot easier to stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Theres no ingredient list to bother with when buying whole foods.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Bad for you, and bad for your car too.

That's right, folks. Thanks to the corn lobby, the ethanol in gasohol is made from HFCS, and being a syrup, it tends to clog up your entire fuel system. Whereas if this alchohol were brewed from just about any other plant under the sun, it wouldn't be so damned sticky, and we'd probably be using a lot more of that and a lot less foreign oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Want a good laugh?

Checkout the vid on HFCS: http://www.hulu.com/watch/223360
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-bbq-sauce/

Who needs sugar?

Try this recipe, I like to add a little bit of blackstrap molasses and stevia if you want it sweeter.

Primal BBQ Sauce

Makes 1 cup of sauce

Ingredients:

ingredients 11

1/3 cup (about 3 ounces) tomato paste
    2 tablespoons melted butter
    1/2 – 1 teaspoon hot sauce
    1 – 2 tablespoons honey
    2 – 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons tamari (wheat-free version of 'soy sauce', can also substitute soy sauce)
    1/2 teaspoon mustard
    2 tablespoons water
    1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
    1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Instructions:

In a small bowl mix together tomato paste, butter, hot sauce, honey, vinegar, tamari, mustard and water.

In another small bowl mix together allspice, cinnamon, pepper, chili powder, paprika and onion powder.

spices 1

Mix the spices in with the wet ingredients.

Brush on meat before grilling or dip cooked meat into the sauce.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-26-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I will take your unwanted BBQ sauces

J. Lee Roy's Dipping Sauce claims it has only cane sugar and no hfcs. Tastes like it too. Great on pulled pork sandwiches.

We found it a couple months ago.

http://www.jleeroys.com/Products/Ori...838200137.aspx
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Most of mine say tomato purée as the first ingredient. Bullseye has no HFCS. Jack Daniels has the HFCS.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

A1 steak sauce or bust. I eat it on salads.
    Best of luck in life.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Bad for you, and bad for your car too.

That's right, folks. Thanks to the corn lobby, the ethanol in gasohol is made from HFCS, and being a syrup, it tends to clog up your entire fuel system. Whereas if this alchohol were brewed from just about any other plant under the sun, it wouldn't be so damned sticky, and we'd probably be using a lot more of that and a lot less foreign oil.
    Ethanol is also more corrosive to seals, gaskets and other fuel system components. Especially cars that aren't made to run on E85, which up until a few years ago was all of them. And you get less power per molecule. The subsidies by the gov screw up everything.

/rant back to corn sugar

A lot of labels say 'Corn Syrup'.... whats up with that..?

Try to open up an Ice Cream shop in the US. Then try to make your own Ice Cream. If you elect to use Artifical Flavors, you'll have no problems, but if you dare to try to put Real Ingredients in your Ice Cream, you are going to pay out the nose, and your ass, and in case you dont have enough orifices, they can solve that pesky problem too.

Artificial Food Is Poison.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    A lot of labels say 'Corn Syrup'.... whats up with that..?
    They've lobbied to become ever increasingly more deceptive in their labeling practices. Look at Aspartame. In the FDA Approval Process, it sat on the FDA's desk for four years. Change of administration and it was rubber stamped through. Brief history, Aspartame came into being while trying to develop an insecticide. But back on labelling, they've realized that people are paying attention to the list of their ingredients, and are doing everything in their power to purposefully mislead the public into thinking their dangerous ingredients are not dangerous by calling them something else.

I.E. Aspartame == Natural Sweetener.

Bonus Round

Find me a pack of gum in the US that does not have Aspartame, or any form of a sweetener ending in "...itol" and I'll give you a +Rep!

Dont know / care about ...itol? Ask any veterinarian. They'll tell you that garbage will put dogs into seizures and is as high on the do not feed your dog list as Rat Poison.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 02-26-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Okay, while running the risk of pissing off those who know a hell of a lot more about food ingredients than I, I'll just say this- Sweet Baby Ray's > All.

Now I am going to go back to the OP, read the graphic, and learn why I'm not going to live past 60.

ETA: It's something you should try to avoid but it is in products of my price range and the stores I frequent. I am not able to switch to organic. Interesting graphic though.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 02-26-2013 at 04:50 PM.

The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Bonus Round

Find me a pack of gum in the US that does not have Aspartame, or any form of a sweetener ending in "...itol" and I'll give you a +Rep!
    Yeah, that is a problem. All of the major gum brands use artificial sweetener, even if it it the full sugar version! No doubt it's just blended into the gum right from the start, so that it can become sugar free or regular gum.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Okay, while running the risk of pissing off those who know a hell of a lot more about food ingredients than I, I'll just say this- Sweet Baby Ray's > All.
    Wow. That's a matter of taste. Sweet Baby Ray's always has some kind of rancid flavor or smell to me. Haven't ever been able to identify exactly what it is. Not something I detect in most other BBQ sauces.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Wow. That's a matter of taste. Sweet Baby Ray's always has some kind of rancid flavor or smell to me. Haven't ever been able to identify exactly what it is. Not something I detect in most other BBQ sauces.
    Maybe the rancid flavor comes from Big Corporations selling Chemical $#@! Sandwiches and being allowed to label it Prime Rib?!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    ETA: It's something you should try to avoid but it is in products of my price range and the stores I frequent. I am not able to switch to organic. Interesting graphic though.

It doesn't need to be organic to be better for you, although that helps, it just needs to not have HFCS in it. Sugar is better, or use the recipe I provided and use the natural sweeteners in the recipe and/or add some sugar if you want.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."