Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 64

Thread: Need Bitcoins? This ATM takes dollars and funds your account

  1. #1

    Default Need Bitcoins? This ATM takes dollars and funds your account



    NASHUA, N.H. -- Zach Harvey has an ambitious plan to accelerate adoption of the Internet's favorite alternative currency: installing in thousands of bars, restaurants, and grocery stores ATMs that will let you buy Bitcoins anonymously.

    It's the opposite of a traditional automated teller that dispenses currency. Instead, these Bitcoin ATMs will accept dollar bills -- using the same validation mechanism as vending machines -- and instantly convert the amount to Bitcoins and deposit the result in your account.

    "It's even easier than just using a regular ATM," says Harvey, 33, who demonstrated the device to CNET this weekend at the Free State Project's annual Liberty Forum. "You could probably do it in about five seconds. The thing that would take the longest would be the bill validator taking in the dollar."
    cont
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...-your-account/



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2

    Default

    Why? I mean bitcoins have no more intrinsic value than FRNs and aren't backed by a government either.

    I simply don't get them.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

  4. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Why? I mean bitcoins have no more intrinsic value than FRNs and aren't backed by a government either.

    I simply don't get them.

    Moreover, IF Government/TPTB can interrupt-unto-shut-down the internet, they still have control. If anything, exchanging tangible fiat for electronic fiat seems like moving in the wrong direction. OBVIOUSLY, someone is quite willing to take those "worthless" Federal Reserve Notes off our hands AND/OR out of circulation.

  5. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Why? I mean bitcoins have no more intrinsic value than FRNs and aren't backed by a government either.

    I simply don't get them.
    Read this and you just might get it: Wrapping your head around Bitcoin (a guide ~5min reading time)
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

  6. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hazek View Post
    I only had to start, I disagree right from 'why do you use it'. FRNs are backed by government and force of law and won't run off to the Bahamas tomorrow, quite as likely, from my perspective. It isn't what I want, but when I think of what I want, it has true intrinsic value, not just 'habit' behind it, we have that, already.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

  7. #6

    Default

    Well, being forced to use it is part of it, there are 50% of Americans who pay no taxes, I wonder who forces them to use dollars. And if you aren't going to invest even 5min to read the whole thing, even if you don't agree with the very first part, don't waste my time next time. You asked to have Bitcoin explained, reading that will do it for ya. Now go read it or just throw your hands in the air, proclaim it's irrationality and stop polluting threads about it and wasting everyone's time.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

  8. #7

    Default

    I didn't ask to have it explained, I asked why we should prefer it, and it built on the previous point, which I disagreed with. If it doesn't have intrinsic value, I don't see it being preferable, and see it as less reliable than govt backed FRNs. Why not have something with intrinsic value?

    It seems like they are free to those who create them out of nothing, but they want value for them. Sounds like the Fed, right there.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 02-24-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

  9. #8

    Default

    There is no such thing as intrinsic value - all value is inherently subjective. Stop repeating that stupid term like it means something.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

  10. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    It seems like they are free to those who create them out of nothing
    They are?! Well then, why don't you issue some and exchange them for dollars and get super rich????
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hazek View Post
    They are?! Well then, why don't you issue some and exchange them for dollars and get super rich????
    because I don't have the tech ability, am not part of that group, and it feels like a pyramid scheme, intentional or not. Getting rich dishonestly doesn't appeal to me.

    and there is such a thing as intrinsic value. If no one 'backed' it, a house, bowl, chocolate, horse would be worth something to others who needed one.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

  12. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    because I don't have the tech ability, am not part of that group, and it feels like a pyramid scheme, intentional or not. Getting rich dishonestly doesn't appeal to me.
    GTFO. Bwahahahahaaha. Ok.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

  13. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hazek View Post
    GTFO. Bwahahahahaaha. Ok.
    Is that supposed to mean something? Because I don't get it.

    --
    edit, ok I read your link. You have to solve a math problem to get a bit coin. I see that might be interesting in something like sonic, but don't see why anyone should give you a horse or chocolate because you solved a math problem. what good does it do them?
    Last edited by sailingaway; 02-24-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

  14. #13

    Default

    You didn't read anything. It's not about solving a math problem, it's about making this technology work. Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I don't mean this as an insult, it's just older people, usually less technologically inclined, have a harder time grasping the concepts within this first of it's kind technology and it becomes a barrier that is usually impossible to overcome. So if you are of that sort I don't want to waste any more of time on something that wont budge no matter what..
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

  15. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hazek View Post
    You didn't read anything. It's not about solving a math problem, it's about making this technology work. Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I don't mean this as an insult, it's just older people, usually less technologically inclined, have a harder time grasping the concepts within this first of it's kind technology and it becomes a barrier that is usually impossible to overcome. So if you are of that sort I don't want to waste any more of time on something that wont budge no matter what..

    There is no value and you are spinning jargon. If it makes sense, explain why it should be valuable to someone to get one.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

  16. #15

  17. #16

    Default

    Bitcoin is a brand new technology that gives you the ability to:
    - be in full control over your finances at all times
    - define how public you want your ID information to be within a transaction
    - protect yourself from anyone being able to freeze or seize your money
    - receive money without having to pay any fees
    - practically eliminate the risk of fraud
    - preserve your purchasing power through ensured scarcity of bitcoins
    - instantly send any amount to anyone, anywhere, anytime without having to ask for anyone’s permission


    You may not see this as valuable, but as you can see, plenty of other people do.
    Last edited by hazek; 02-24-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

  18. #17
    Member bxm042's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    the Independent Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,219

    Default

    I think this is a great idea. Its always been slightly inconvenient to buy bitcoins (especially anonymously). This would indeed help a great deal with adoption.
    The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

  19. #18

    Default

    Why are they valuable? I can see why people would want to be able to print 'money' by solving an equation, but why would anyone want to give you anything for it? It needs to be a market based commodity for value, as I see it, and I just don't understand why there would be a market for this on the other side.



    "you have to have something that people seek after and hold" as having value
    Last edited by sailingaway; 02-24-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

  20. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Why are they valuable? I can see why people would want to be able to print 'money' by solving an equation, but why would anyone want to give you anything for it? It needs to be a market based commodity for value, as I see it, and I just don't understand why there would be a market for this on the other side.
    Asked and answered. I'm done.

    p.s.: you don't have to change, you can go extinct.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

  21. #20
    Member bxm042's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    the Independent Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    There is no value and you are spinning jargon. If it makes sense, explain why it should be valuable to someone to get one.
    It has value because people are willing to exchange real goods & services for it. Same with the dollar.

    And gold too, for that matter, doesn't have just a whole lot of "value." You can't eat it. You can't build a house with it. There are very narrow industrial uses for it, but primarily it has value because other people give it value.

    Gold and bitcoins simply serve different needs that a currency is supposed to fulfill. Gold is great for handling physical real world transactions, whereas bitcoins is better at facilitating digital transactions.

    Sure, you can digitize gold into a gold backed currency, but as we all know, you don't own gold until you take possession. So it doesn't work for online transactions. Bitcoins, while its still fairly new, has the potential to do well to fill that gap.
    The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

  22. #21

    Default

    They have value because they can't be inflated by governments and purchases can't be traced by governments. They get around government roadblocks that prevent people in other countries from wiring money outward.

  23. #22

    Default

    As long as there is a buyer and seller, bitcoins will always have some type of value.There is a limited number of bitcoins, like there is a limited amount of gold and silver (until space mining is profitable). There is not a limited amount of US dollars.

    I welcome this ATM. Looks about the easiest way yet to buy bitcoins.
    My 2016 prediction: Hillary Clinton will NOT run for president.

    Rand Paul 2016

  24. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin69 View Post
    They have value because they can't be inflated by governments and purchases can't be traced by governments. They get around government roadblocks that prevent people in other countries from wiring money outward.
    neither can a random scribble by a two year old, if you require it be of that two year old. But why would anyone want it? Give you something for it?
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

  25. #24
    Member bxm042's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    the Independent Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,219

    Default

    Bitcoins also have value because it pisses off the bankers. That's value in of itself imo.
    The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

  26. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulfollower999 View Post
    As long as there is a buyer and seller, bitcoins will always have some type of value.There is a limited number of bitcoins, like there is a limited amount of gold and silver (until space mining is profitable). There is not a limited amount of US dollars.

    I welcome this ATM. Looks about the easiest way yet to buy bitcoins.
    sure, as long as people will accept them there will be a market. But twenty years from now, what assurance do you have now that people will want them at all? That is where intrinsic value comes in.

    However, I was just asking some stuff I wondered about that kept me from being interested, to see if there was an easy answer, and there doesn't seem to be. I have no problem with people using whatever they want to for money if they can find someone to accept it.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

  27. #26
    Member bxm042's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    the Independent Republic of Texas
    Posts
    6,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    sure, as long as people will accept them there will be a market. But twenty years from now, what assurance do you have now that people will want them at all? That is where intrinsic value comes in.
    Gold has very little intrinsic value, either. For all intents and purposes it has none.

    The reason gold has excelled as a currency throughout history, is because it is:
    1) durable
    2) portable
    3) divisible
    4) scarce

    For thousands of years it has been this way, because gold best meets all of that criteria, and to this day we have not found a better currency for physical trade.

    The problem lies however, with #2. Portable. With the invention of the internet, gold is no longer as portable as it needs to be.

    There is a proven market need for a strong currency that can be used over the internet, which gold can not fill. That's where bitcoins come in.

    While bitcoins do not have the same time-tested history as gold does, bitcoins does fit all 4 of that criteria.

    It loses a few points on durability, because it is only durable as long as the internet continues to exist, but otherwise its very durable. If you believe the internet will some day cease to exist, don't buy bitcoins. Gold also has durability issues, (tungsten filled bars), but it still has done well because it is the best currency available for physical trade.

    Bitcoins is, for at least the foreseeable future, the best currency available for online trade. Which is why it has value. If at some point a better online currency comes about (and some day it will), bitcoins will not lose their value, but eventually they will be phased out.
    The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

  28. #27
    Member Keith and stuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Live Free or Die state
    Posts
    9,402
    Blog Entries
    67

    Default

    Woah, I just saw this thread. Here are some videos on the world's first Bitcoin ATM in action.


    Bitcoin ATM wows NH Liberty Forum
    RidleyReportRidleyReport


    Digital dollars- a Bitcoin machine in operation at Nashua's Liberty Forum
    MichelleMitchelMichelleMitchel


    CopBlock's Pete Eyre uses the Bitcoin ATM
    Fr33manTVrawFr33manTVraw
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

  29. #28

    Default

    The thing that bothers me the most about bitcoins is that the government can at any time cut off my access to them, just as they can by locking my bank account. If I have money in my pocket, they have to actually arrest ME to cut it off. That means that I can buy things without the government's permission or knowledge. Although the gov't doesn't control bitcoins directly, they do control the internet upon which it operates.
    "Sorry, guys, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."
    "What is this, a home owner's association? Why the need to try and control other people's behavior?"



  30. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Gold has very little intrinsic value, either. For all intents and purposes it has none.

    The reason gold has excelled as a currency throughout history, is because it is:
    1) durable
    2) portable
    3) divisible
    4) scarce

    For thousands of years it has been this way, because gold best meets all of that criteria, and to this day we have not found a better currency for physical trade.

    The problem lies however, with #2. Portable. With the invention of the internet, gold is no longer as portable as it needs to be.

    There is a proven market need for a strong currency that can be used over the internet, which gold can not fill. That's where bitcoins come in.

    While bitcoins do not have the same time-tested history as gold does, bitcoins does fit all 4 of that criteria.

    It loses a few points on durability, because it is only durable as long as the internet continues to exist, but otherwise its very durable. If you believe the internet will some day cease to exist, don't buy bitcoins. Gold also has durability issues, (tungsten filled bars), but it still has done well because it is the best currency available for physical trade.

    Bitcoins is, for at least the foreseeable future, the best currency available for online trade. Which is why it has value. If at some point a better online currency comes about (and some day it will), bitcoins will not lose their value, but eventually they will be phased out.
    People like gold, it is pretty, doesn't tarnish and is recognized for thousands of years. People run to it in economic peril. So it has value. a 'bit coin' isn't even something you can hold in your hand, as i understand it.

    This is fine if some people want to do it, I just wanted to make sure I asked questions before I decided it wasn't for me.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear. -Ron Paul

    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

  31. #30
    Member Keith and stuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Live Free or Die state
    Posts
    9,402
    Blog Entries
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    The thing that bothers me the most about bitcoins is that the government can at any time cut off my access to them, just as they can by locking my bank account. If I have money in my pocket, they have to actually arrest ME to cut it off. That means that I can buy things without the government's permission or knowledge. Although the gov't doesn't control bitcoins directly, they do control the internet upon which it operates.
    The internet is worldwide. How can a government cut off your access to bitcoins at any time? You can store your bitcoins on a flash drive in your pocket, if you want. Perhaps the US government has the power to shutdown almost all of the internet on Earth (that is what you are saying). However, if that happened, we would have much larger problems. 10,000,000s of people would lose their jobs, for example.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast




« Previous Thread | Next Thread »


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •