Thread: when destruction is good: the 1906 san francisco earthquake

Question when destruction is good: the 1906 san francisco earthquake

we often note that war is bad for the economy. but when do unintended consequences lead to great outcomes?

1906 San Francisco Earthquake: Aftermath
    Despite the utter devastation, San Francisco quickly recovered from the earthquake, and the destruction actually allowed planners to create a new and improved city. A classic Western boomtown, San Francisco had grown in a haphazard manner since the Gold Rush of 1849. Working from a nearly clean slate, San Franciscans were able to rebuild the city with a more logical and elegant structure. The destruction of the urban center at San Francisco also encouraged the growth of new towns around the San Francisco Bay, making room for a population boom arriving from other parts of the United States and abroad.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by intelliot View Post
    we often note that war is bad for the economy. but when do unintended consequences lead to great outcomes?
    As always, the losses of the hidden man are ignored. It also jumps to the conclusion that the new city was "improved".
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

It would still be very hard to make the argument that the earthquake was a net-positive.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Carpet-bomb every major city in the USA. I'm sure we could improve some things while rebuilding. And it would stimulate people to spread out a little bit.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by intelliot View Post
    classic case of broken window fallacy. all that money, time, and effort spent rebuilding did help modernize the city - but those resources were sucked up doing that instead of other things that could've been even more profitable/important than rebuilding SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Carpet-bomb every major city in the USA. I'm sure we could improve some things while rebuilding. And it would stimulate people to spread out a little bit.
    Hummmm... did it work for Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Germans wouldn't know, they were too busy bombing England and France, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    It only worked for Germany because they got a fantastic laissez-fair minister of economic affairs with Ludwig Erhard and a chancellor who couldn't overcome his resistence to big government recovery programs after the war (although he tried to). I believe you won't have that much luck while Obama's administration is in office.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So what's San Francisco like one hundred + years later. In debt>http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/openfo...bt-3274172.php
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

I would prefer an 1840's -1850's San Francisco over what it is today.

I did see something cool not long ago , a glob of Morgan dollars melted/fused together that were in a safe in a building that caught fire in the earthquake.