Thread: Want to reduce your Type II diabetes risk? Get some sunshine and up your vitamin D intake

Want to reduce your Type II diabetes risk? Get some sunshine and up your vitamin D intake

Want to reduce your Type II diabetes risk? Get some sunshine and up your vitamin D intake

Friday, February 22, 2013 by: PF Louis

It's amazing how many different meta-analysis papers and epidemiological studies keep popping up associating vitamin D3 with lower disease occurrences for heart disease, breast cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and Type II or onset adult diabetes.

An earlier Japanese meta-analysis "...found a correlation between calcium levels, low vitamin D status and insulin resistance (IR). (...) Findings suggest that low vitamin D and low calcium status may be associated with IR." (http://www.vitasearch.com/get-clp-summary/40508)

Denmark really got into vitamin D research also. The Danes recently published one for rheumatoid arthritis (RA), associating low vitamin D levels with RA. Now, another Danish epidemiological study was submitted on vitamin D's health merits.

The focus of this study was to determine an association of low vitamin D3 to Type II diabetes, a theme similar to the Japanese study.

The Danish vitamin D3 Type II diabetes epidemiological study

A vitamin D3 population study is done with the most standard blood level test, the 25(OH)D3 or serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D blood test. The only problem with the Danes in this diabetes/D3 study might be the problem they had with their epidemiological rheumatoid arthritis/D3 study.

It seems that Denmark's normal level is too low. This makes the study results more ominous. Subjects with Danish established normal D3 levels are already low. This translates to a bunch of pre-diabetic individuals slipping through with what they consider normal D3 levels.

In other words, the impact of D3 deficiency should be even higher than their results. It appears, after converting different measuring systems, the Danes consider 20 ng/ml (nanograms per milliliter) normal.

Even mainstream medicine in the U.S. has begun to consider 30 ng/ml more desirable than their previous 20ng/ml standard of normal. Holistic practitioners and researchers think your 25(OH)D3 serum level should be 50 ng/ml to be optimally healthy and disease free.

The Danish study included 9,841 participants from the general Copenhagen population, of whom 810 had developed Type II diabetes during 29 years of follow-up. Despite their shortcoming on what is a normal D3 blood level, the Danes came up with the conclusion that there is "...an association of low plasma 25(OH)D with increased risk of Type II diabetes. This finding was substantiated in a meta-analysis."

But a higher normal may have revealed an even higher risk factor with the probability of noticing more IR (insulin resistant) cases of prediabetic or metabolic syndrome among several who hadn't fully developed Type II diabetes.

Ensuring your vitamin D3 levels are high

Keeping your 25(OH)D3 count at or around 50 ng/ml requires a good deal of bare skin to sunshine exposure. It's the UVB rays that interact with your skin's cholesterol to initiate a conversion process that creates the pre-hormone called vitamin D3 to promote other hormonal activity throughout the body.

If sunshine exposure is limited and you can't sunbathe for 20 minutes daily four times a week, a UVB tanning bed is an option. Both of those procedures allow your body to shut down vitamin D3 conversion when it senses there's enough.

Many experts suggest that you not bathe the exposed skin areas with soap too soon after sun bathing. It's possible that your skin's oils may be washed off before completing the initial conversion phase of UVB ray to vitamin D3.

The last option is supplementing. In lieu of sunshine, 4,000 to 10,000 IU (international units) is a common intake of cholicalciferol vitamin D3 supplements.

Although it's rare, it's possible to overdose using vitamin D3 supplements with high daily dosing over time. Finding a local or online lab to measure your levels is wise if you don't have the wherewithal to deal with a holistic practitioner.

Sources for this article include:

"Low 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: A Prospective Cohort Study and Meta-analysis," (The Danish study summary)

http://www.vitasearch.com/get-clp-summary/40570

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23232064

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23318705
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Many experts suggest that you not bathe the exposed skin areas with soap too soon after sun bathing. It's possible that your skin's oils may be washed off before completing the initial conversion phase of UVB ray to vitamin D3.
    This is a myth. Vitamin D is formed in the body below the skin in a complex process. It is not an oil on the skin which can be washed off.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin...e-vitamins.htm
    Vitamin D is not one chemical but many. The natural type is produced in the skin [in- not ON the skin] from a universally present form of cholesterol, 7-dehydrocholesterol. Sunlight is the key: Its ultraviolet B (UVB) energy converts the precursor to vitamin D3. In contrast, most dietary supplements are manufactured by exposing a plant sterol to ultraviolet energy, thus producing vitamin D2. Because their function is almost identical, D2 and D3 are lumped together under the name vitamin D — but neither will function until the body works its magic (see figure).

How your body makes vitamin D
    The sun’s energy turns a chemical in your skin into vitamin D3, which is carried to your liver and then your kidneys to transform it to active vitamin D.

The first stop is in the liver, where vitamin D picks up extra oxygen and hydrogen molecules to become 25-hydroxyvitamin D, or 25(OH)D. This is the chemical that doctors should measure to diagnose vitamin D deficiencies. But although 25(OH)D is used for diagnosis, it can’t function until it travels to the kidney. There it acquires a final pair of oxygen and hydrogen molecules to become 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin D; scientists know this active form of the vitamin as 1,25(OH)2D, or calcitriol, but for ordinary folks the name vitamin D is accurate enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    This is a myth. Vitamin D is formed in the body below the skin in a complex process. It is not an oil on the skin which can be washed off.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin...e-vitamins.htm
    No, they are saying that you can wash off the Vitamin D precursor that is 'in' (and also on) the skin. Not the Vitamin D itself.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

More details on the skin portion of the cycle:
    http://www.solar-facts-and-advice.co...m-the-sun.html
    How the Skin Produces Vitamin D

First – let's look at some basic information. The skin consists of two primary layers: the inner layer called the dermis, composed largely of connective tissue, and the outer, thinner epidermis. Here's a drawing I found in Wikipedia that shows the five different layers of the epidermis.

Production of vitamin d from the sun is greatest in the stratum basale (colored red in the illustration) and stratum spinosum (colored light brown).

Vitamin D3 is made in the skin when 7-dehydrocholesterol absorbs UVB ultraviolet light at wavelengths between 270–300 nm, with peak synthesis occurring between 295-297 nm.
    http://sbnaturally.wordpress.com/hea...ics/vitamin-d/

There have been assertions that washing the skin after sun exposure could “wash off” vitamin D. I took the question to Michael Holick, one of the world’s foremost authorities on vitamin D. Dr. Holick responds that vitamin D is produced in living cells and cannot be washed off.

In the summer when you do get in the sun for optimal levels of UVB radiation enough to make the Vitamin D, you should avoid taking a shower using soap for 30 to 60 minutes after you have sun bathed or you will wash the top level of vitamin D and it wasn't allowed to soak up in your bloodstream.

@1:59 marker talks about using soap and washing off the Vitamin D that the UVB radiation gave you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9JpUgvrnFU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePaIncVpPrE
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Medical science has been lacking in informing people to the benefits of vitamins. As Dr. Linus Pauling said, "The correct terminology for cardiovascular (heart) disease is "chronic scurvy" or "sub clinical scurvy". People are not getting enough ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to prevent heart disease. It almost seems there is a conspiracy to keep people sick.

This is why there are no obese DM2-having folks mowing the lawn or picking vegetables.

Hm.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Medical science has been lacking in informing people to the benefits of vitamins. As Dr. Linus Pauling said, "The correct terminology for cardiovascular (heart) disease is "chronic scurvy" or "sub clinical scurvy". People are not getting enough ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to prevent heart disease. It almost seems there is a conspiracy to keep people sick.
    Linus Pauling was right about a lot of things, no doubt. I truly believe there is a conspiracy to keep people sick. Just the other day my mother's doctor told her, her Vitamin D level was low. I asked her what is it suppose to be according to them, she said 25 ng/ml. I snickered because that is deficient, right there. My mother's doctor told me that Vitamin D was strictly for the bones. I told her sorry, but it is for more than the bones, it's for the heart, the brain and for the immune system and that the American people are severely deficient.

I started a regime, in the winter time, of 10,000 IU's daily up until April then I drop it down to 5,000 IU's. I was tested last year right before winter and my level teetered just around 39. Optimally, it should be in the 50 to 80 range.

Lot's of great information here: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Linus Pauling was right about a lot of things, no doubt. I truly believe there is a conspiracy to keep people sick. Just the other day my mother's doctor told her, her Vitamin D level was low. I asked her what is it suppose to be according to them, she said 25 ng/ml. I snickered because that is deficient, right there. My mother's doctor told me that Vitamin D was strictly for the bones. I told her sorry, but it is for more than the bones, it's for the heart, the brain and for the immune system and that the American people are severely deficient.

I started a regime, in the winter time, of 10,000 IU's daily up until April then I drop it down to 5,000 IU's. I was tested last year right before winter and my level teetered just around 39. Optimally, it should be in the 50 to 80 range.

Lot's of great information here: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
    In this book, Linus Pauling recommended people take the following to prevent/cure heart disease:
    An excerpt from the book Practicing Medicine Without A License chapter seven.
    Therapeutic
    Vitamin C (6,000 to 18,000 mg)
    Lysine (5,000 to 6,000 mg)

Pauling Therapy Enhancements
    Proline (250 to 2,000 mg)
    Coenzyme Q10 (100 to 300 mg)
    Magnesium (150 to 1,500 mg)

Preventives
    Vitamin C (3,000 to 10,000 mg)
    Lysine (2,000 to 4,000 mg)

Follow Pauling’s other heart and cardiovascular recommendations
    Vitamin E - 800 to 3,200 IU
    Vitamin A - 20,000 to 40,000 IU
    Super B-Complex - 1 or 2
    Daily multiple vitamin and mineral
    Drink plenty of water

Additional Enhancements
    Eliminate trans fatty acids from the diet
    Introduce unprocessed Omega-3 and Omega-6 oils
    Eat salt, but only unrefined salt
    Reduce manganese intake
    Eliminate ordinary sugar and refined carbohydrates
    Supplement with vitamin K
    Avoid supplemental calcium
    Supplement with the amino acids taurine, arginine and carnitine (1 to 3 grams)
    Supplement with vitamin D3 (2,000 IU), especially in the winter months
    Supplement with melatonin (3 to 6 mg) before bedtime

http://practicingmedicinewithoutalic...cerpt_chp7.pdf
    The above is what is commonly known as "The Pauling Therapy."

I mention this because he includes vitamin D3 in his protocol. Beware though, he says not to take Calcium Ascorbate. That is vitamin C attached to calcium. He claims the calcium would be too much for the body and other problems would occur.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 02-24-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    In this book, Linus Pauling recommended people take the following to prevent/cure heart disease:
    An excerpt from the book Practicing Medicine Without A License chapter seven.

The above is what is commonly known as "The Pauling Therapy."

I mention this because he includes vitamin D3 in his protocol. Beware though, he says not to take Calcium Ascorbate. That is vitamin C attached to calcium. He claims the calcium would be too much for the body and other problems would occur.
    And of course Linus Pauling, the gentlemen with 2 Nobel Prizes (of course that is when Nobel Prizes meant something), says if you want to prevent and treat Cancer with vitamin C you have to use 10,000 mg a day. All the doctors who used to argue with him 40 years ago are all dead! Linus lived to be 95 and before his death he was still working 14 hour work days, 7 days a week at his ranch in the Big Sur in California, and taught at the University of California, San Francisco--I would say he was dedicated and proved all the dead doctors wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    And of course Linus Pauling, the gentlemen with 2 Nobel Prizes (of course that is when Nobel Prizes meant something), says if you want to prevent and treat Cancer with vitamin C you have to use 10,000 mg a day. All the doctors who used to argue with him 40 years ago are all dead! Linus lived to be 95 and before his death he was still working 14 hour work days, 7 days a week at his ranch in the Big Sur in California, and taught at the University of California, San Francisco--I would say he was dedicated and proved all the dead doctors wrong.
    Guess it didn't work for him. He died of cancer-prostate.

http://www.prostate.net/2011/prostat...ostate-cancer/
    (Feb. 28, 1901-Aug. 19, 1994; chemist, two-time Nobel Prize winner). Pauling underwent radiation treatment for prostate cancer in 1993. Pauling died of prostate cancer in 1994. The irony of Pauling’s demise to cancer is that he was an ardent advocate of taking high levels of vitamin C as a cancer preventive.

Guess it didn't work for him. He died of cancer-prostate.

http://www.prostate.net/2011/prostat...ostate-cancer/

He still out lived the other doctors who argued with him.

Linus Pauling, PhD, megadose vitamin C advocate, died in 1994 from prostate cancer. Mayo Clinic cancer researcher Charles G. Moertel, M.D., critic of Pauling and vitamin C, also died in 1994, and also from cancer (lymphoma). Dr. Moertel was 66 years old. Dr. Pauling was 93 years old. One needs to make up ones own mind as to whether this does or does not indicate benefit from vitamin C.
    http://www.whale.to/a/pauling_h.html

Last edited by donnay; 02-24-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Vitamin D deficiency linked to yet another disease: Rheumatoid arthritis

Sunday, February 24, 2013 by: PF Louis

It appears that vitamin D3 undergoes more testing than any other vitamin, even though it isn't a vitamin. It's a hormonal precursor that activates several different metabolic functions throughout the body.

Bonding calcium into bone is only one of many others. It's always mentioned in mainstream medicine's explanations because they tend to be conservative about vitamin D3's wonders, or they don't want too many benefits revealed.

Nevertheless, clinical trials and tests are carried out often internationally to determine what health issues result from vitamin D3 deficiency or what diseases may be prevented with sufficient vitamin D3.

Rickets, a weakening of bone matter that is on the rise again, has been traditionally recognized as a major result of vitamin D deficiency. That's why it was added to milk products with vitamin D2 years ago. And D2 isn't too good.

Holistic MDs, naturopaths, and chiropractors in the U.S. have come to recognize many more negative health outcomes of vitamin D3 deficiency as well as determining the vitamin D3 blood levels needed to help protect people's health from disease.

A recent Danish trial has looked into what levels of vitamin D3 are associated with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), a debilitating inflammatory autoimmune disease that plagues many throughout the world.

The Danish D3 arthritis trial summary
    The recent Danish trial simply examined the serum (blood) D3 levels of 302 existing RA patients. However, what was considered normal serum levels using the standard 25(OH)D3 test was low to begin with.

The researchers chose 50 nmol/l (nanomols per liter) as normal. That converts to 20 ng/ml (nanograms per milliliter). This is an antiquated medical normal level, which has been upgraded to 30 ng/ml among many even in mainstream medicine.

Independent, iconoclastic MDs, other holistic practitioners, and up to date vitamin D3 researchers consider at least 30 ng/ml to be normal. Many insist 50 to 80 ng/ml is optimum for resisting disease while 80 to 100 ng/ml is appropriate short-term for reversing disease symptoms. Beyond 100 ng/ml for some time flirts with toxicity.

Of the 302 RA Danish patients, 101 had below their established normal range, which by more recently established standards is actually already low. Those whose 25(OH)D3 serum levels were even lower at 15 nmol/liter or six ng/ml (yikes!) exhibited the worst levels of RA markers with three or more RA medications.

This trial was published and recorded in PubMed.org in January 2013 as "Severe deficiency of 25-hydroxyvitamin D(3) (25-OH-D (3)) is associated with high disease activity of rheumatoid arthritis."

A humble health writer's opinion
    The study text parses with markers in RA patients that question the overall association with vitamin D3 deficiency to moderate RA, forcing them to conclude that only massive D3 deficiency causes rheumatoid arthritis.

But all 302 subjects had some level of RA. And the chosen D3 serum normal standard of 50 nmol/l equals a mere 20 ng/ml. This is significantly below most others' normal of 30 ng/ml, and much lower than the optimum level of 50 ng/ml chosen for resisting disease.

In other words, most or all the renaming 200 patients who had normal or close to normal D3 blood levels by their standards were actually below normal. Their study incorrectly implies that you'll suffer from RA even with normal D3 blood levels.

According to vitamin D3 experts, many health issues can be prevented by keeping your serum D3 level closer to 50 ng/ml.

This can be accomplished with lots of sunlight or UVB tanning bed skin exposure and/or supplementing high doses of D3 cholecalciferol capsules while monitoring with 25(OH)D3 testing from a health practitioner or from a local or online lab. A high range involves 4,000-10,000 IU (international units) or more daily.

Adopting a healthy lifestyle and diet is also necessary. Find out more using Natural News search window at the top right of the main page.

Sources for this article include:

PubMed report http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Updated USA medical vitamin D3 standards http://www.onlinemedinfo.com/test_for_vitamin_d.html

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/039236_vi...#ixzz2Lvw4O8q8

The funny thing is that most of us Gen X-ers and Gen Y-ers grew up with a mass media scaremongering campaign about sunlight. We were all told about the horrors of "UV rays" (hell, that even sounded scary back in the day), and we were warned, "don't spend any time in the sun without protection, or you'll get deadly melanoma, and one sunburn is all it takes!"

Now I see doctors everywhere writing about how, if anything, Americans are getting far too little sun exposure, and I think the blame for this belongs largely on the shoulders of those who helped demonize sunbathing so much back in the '80s and '90s.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Is it the Vitamin D itself, or the correlation of sunlight->being outdoors->getting exercise at play? Or for even more complexity, those who go outdoors more frequently and exercise are likely more aware of their lifestyle choices and how they affect their health, and thus also tend to make better food choices?

I ignore almost every study on health because of these types of questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    The funny thing is that most of us Gen X-ers and Gen Y-ers grew up with a mass media scaremongering campaign about sunlight. We were all told about the horrors of "UV rays" (hell, that even sounded scary back in the day), and we were warned, "don't spend any time in the sun without protection, or you'll get deadly melanoma, and one sunburn is all it takes!"

Now I see doctors everywhere writing about how, if anything, Americans are getting far too little sun exposure, and I think the blame for this belongs largely on the shoulders of those who helped demonize sunbathing so much back in the '80s and '90s.
    I spent a lot of time outdoors all my life. Little sunburn once in a while- no big deal. It goes away. Right now I am being treated for mild skin cancers- it is something to be aware of. It isn't just hype.

I am skeptical of anything which promises to do too much. One of my biggest flags for over-hyped claims is "cures cancer" or the common cold. Vitamins are important but they can't do that. People are looking for magic pills to let them lead long and healthful lives.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Is it the Vitamin D itself, or the correlation of sunlight->being outdoors->getting exercise at play? Or for even more complexity, those who go outdoors more frequently and exercise are likely more aware of their lifestyle choices and how they affect their health, and thus also tend to make better food choices?

I ignore almost every study on health because of these types of questions.

I have read reports that most Americans are Vitamin D deficient.

Source:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-united-states
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0323161111.htm
    http://www.mercola.com/downloads/bon...-d/report.aspx
    http://www.naturalnews.com/vitamin_D_deficiency.html
    http://faculty.irsc.edu/faculty/jschwartz/Vit%20D.htm
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...n-d-side_N.htm
    http://www.drjamesdowd.com/wp-conten...-Press-Kit.pdf

I spent a lot of time outdoors all my life. Little sunburn once in a while- no big deal. It goes away. Right now I am being treated for mild skin cancers- it is something to be aware of. It isn't just hype.

I am skeptical of anything which promises to do too much. One of my biggest flags for over-hyped claims is "cures cancer" or the common cold. Vitamins are important but they can't do that. People are looking for magic pills to let them lead long and healthful lives.

Vitamin D3 really isn't a vitamin at all it is a hormone. Without it, you immune system will be compromised. As BuddyRey said that the establishment has gone on a campaign for the last 30 or so years scaring everyone about the big ball of fire in the sky. They caution people to apply sun screen onto their skin to protect them from UVA rays--sun screens also block the needed UVB rays as well. More and more studies are being done showing that sunscreen may be the culprits of many skin cancers.

Sunscreen Causes Cancer? What You May Not Know About Sunscreen

Sunscreen Could Be Giving You Skin Cancer

Sunscreen ingredient may pose skin cancer risk, researchers find

How Supermodel Gisele Bundchen "Infuriated Cancer Experts"

This is horrible timing for this advice, since during this time of year the sun is at such an angle that your audience of northern hemispherers cannot absorb any vitamin D.

But they could go to a tanning salon, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    This is horrible timing for this advice, since during this time of year the sun is at such an angle that your audience of northern hemispherers cannot absorb any vitamin D.

But they could go to a tanning salon, I suppose.
    As long as the tanning bed has a good electronic balance and not magnetic balance.