Thread: Shark Tank Season 4 Episode 16 - Creepy 1984 Teenage Distracted Driving Monitor

Shark Tank Season 4 Episode 16 - Creepy 1984 Teenage Distracted Driving Monitor

The inventioneers are going to take their product to the transportation safety administration for potential deployment in public service vehicles.... and beyond.

The product is a lighted steering wheel that records 'unsafe' hand positioning and reports back to parents.

Don't stray from 10 & 2 or Nannystate gets a report!

http://agelab.mit.edu/inventioneers-...onal-attention

A team of children from Londonberry, N.H., the Inventioneers visited AgeLab to run experiments on their invention in the driving simulator, Miss Daisy, where 90% of participants found the SMARTwheel to be effective in fighting distracted driving. They recently participated in the White House Science Fair where President Obama was introduced to their device, the SMARTwheel. It also received a thumbs-up from Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheels-smartwheel-lahood-blog480.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	1741

Anybody see this? If I was a shark I'd pay these kids to shelf it.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What do kids today do with manual transmissions?

How many have driven a vehicle with power nothing?

Who under 30 even knows what 3 on the tree is?

I saw this one. 3 of the five sharks didn't see the value in producing it but two thought it could be licensed as an option when buying a car. Personally, I think it should remain between a parent and their kids. There is too much computer monitoring of everything in vehicles these days. I think we all know the black box is on the way.

Seems to be just another distraction to me.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

I do not know what that is, but I drove a Ford Escape when the power steering went out. Does that count?
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    I do not know what that is, but I drove a Ford Escape when the power steering went out. Does that count?
    Not the same thing....

The difference between a modern day rack and pinion set up and an old Saginaw box is night and day, even without power assist..

Not the same thing....

The difference between a modern day rack and pinion set up and an old Saginaw box is night and day, even without power assist..
    It is, but do not underestimate the instantaneous life lessons you get when your power steering goes out randomly while driving WV roads
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Pick me, pick me!!!!
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Seems to be just another distraction to me.
    This.

I've got to stop paying attention to traffic for a moment and make sure I'm not doing what feels right and comfortable to me, but what the nannies (recommend? insist on? demand?) I do with my hands.

And what about manual transmissions? My parents insisted the first car I drove have a stick because they wanted me to know what the hell was going on and why. And that does make a difference, because I'm smarter than an automatic transmission (we all are) and sometimes I need to help it make decisions. Show me someone who keeps his hand on the two o'clock position while he's shifting gears and I'll show you someone who's letting his passenger shift for him (I know this because both his feet are kind of busy at that moment).
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

I always thought driver's education courses should teach manual transmission use; never know when you're only option for auto travel has three pedals (especially of traveling abroad).

Re the invention: screw that. I bet my kids could drive better with their knees than most people with their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    It is, but do not underestimate the instantaneous life lessons you get when your power steering goes out randomly while driving WV roads
    I've had those life lessons only in the Ozarks.....

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    This.

I've got to stop paying attention to traffic for a moment and make sure I'm not doing what feels right and comfortable to me, but what the nannies (recommend? insist on? demand?) I do with my hands.

And what about manual transmissions? My parents insisted the first car I drove have a stick because they wanted me to know what the hell was going on and why. And that does make a difference, because I'm smarter than an automatic transmission (we all are) and sometimes I need to help it make decisions. Show me someone who keeps his hand on the two o'clock position while he's shifting gears and I'll show you someone who's letting his passenger shift for him (I know this because both his feet are kind of busy at that moment).
    I had a girlfriend once who liked to shift for me when we took my truck. Kinda turned me on...

I've had those life lessons only in the Ozarks.....
    Mine was on the farm. Best place to learn a lot of things

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    Mine was on the farm. Best place to learn a lot of things
    Try driving a '56 that's all original (power nothing) on secondary Ozark roads pulling a #15k trailer....

(I still do this on occasion)

I don't know a single person driving a car with automatic transmission. In fact I believe I've never been inside of one. I wouldn't even now how to drive such a thing.

Are there really so many of them in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Danan View Post
    I don't know a single person driving a car with automatic transmission. In fact I believe I've never been inside of one. I wouldn't even now how to drive such a thing.

Yes, and get this; some people order high performance cars with automatic transmissions, on purpose!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'd estimate that less than 20% of new drivers will ever have occasion to drive a standard transmission unless the actively seek one out...

Heck even tractors and some semi trucks have automatics now...

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    Yes, and get this; some people order high performance cars with automatic transmissions, on purpose!!

You'd be ridiculed for not being able to shift gears properly where I live!

You'd be ridiculed for not being able to shift gears properly where I live!
    As well you should!

Genius. Now accident rates will increase because kids will use their face and feet to do things.
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

I cannot seem to access the article, but if part of the point is for you to keep your hands at 10 and 2, their device is already not only obsolete but dangerous.

For more than a year at the San Jose, Calif., Police Department, the recommended hold has been 9-3. The American Automobile Association also prefers 9-3. For the California Highway Patrol, the position can be as low as 8-4. "My daughter came back from driving class and said they were teaching her to hold the wheel at 10-2," said Robert Sepulveda, a San Jose officer who has trained new cops in proper driving techniques. "I told her that's not what we teach . . . that 10-2 is inappropriate."

The 10-2 position is the traditional favorite because, in theory, a higher grip allows a driver to keep the car running smoothly without needing to jerk the wheel suddenly if he is cut off or there is a hazard in the road. But air bags are changing that equation. During a collision, the bag will explode out at more than 100 mph, protecting the driver's head and chest from slamming into the front of the vehicle. With the hands at 10-2 or higher on the wheel, a driver's arms can get walloped or thrown back into his face if an air bag deploys.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Shark Tank is a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    This.

That's the point, to me.

Someone is going to come up with the perfect formula for where body parts should be and teach it to a computer that will keep human in line? Yeah right! It won't even work.

I often wonder how many accidents occur from looking down at the speedometer, worried about getting a ticket.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post
    Shark Tank is a great show.
    It is wonderful for the entrapaneurs. Gives them an idea of what they'll face when raising capital; margins, sales history, cost per customer, etc. One girl got crucified for not having solid numbers or any grasp of the economics behind her idea; one guy even told her the one goid thing about her time on tge show is that she will forever be the example of how not having good financial aptitude will keep any good idea from taking off.
    and it's pretty funny too; lots of egos duking it out.
    Last edited by ghengis86; 02-17-2013 at 04:35 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I didn't like it for personal use, but when they mentioned commercial, that didn't bother me. I had an hour commute once that I used to take by bus. It wouldn't bother me at all if the bus driver had this and it reported back to their boss.

Just image search google: bus driver texting
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.