Thread: Robots in service industry next

Robots in service industry next

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100592545

Robots that cost only 22000 dollars.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

We should kill them along with all of the dark people. Then there will be plenty of jobs for us.

So we are going to displace all of the unskilled laborers earning minimum wage. Where are these people going to find work? What about their children? The children...
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Quote Originally Posted by TonySutton View Post
    So we are going to displace all of the unskilled laborers earning minimum wage. Where are these people going to find work? What about their children? The children...
    There is always something else to do if the government would allow us to do it.

Rage against the machine.

I've always accepted it as a given that if you complain about "robots" taking over your job you could always learn how to program and implement them so that you can reap their benefits instead of cry to teacher about how unfair it all is.

And if you know how to implement robots into systems, you could work as an independent contractor or just have your own business doing that for yourself, and you'll probably make a whole lot more money doing so.

"Think of all the college graduates who take jobs as cashiers or baristas before they find salaried work. If those jobs were to vanish, those workers would be forced to file for unemployment instead."
    Forced to file for unemployment? That is an appallingly defeatist notion. I was a college graduate working a not so great job earning a wage similar or less than a barista's and when I got home from work I decided to make what one might call virtual "robots" using some rudimentary programming knowledge to assist me in a simple venture oppportunity. Within days of starting this project I quit the other job and using a couple hundred bucks I began some simple operations and after the first day I was already making more than I would be at the other job. While doing this my eyes were opened to several other venues where one would also be able to make a comfortable living. I was not forced to file for unemployment as one of the people quoted in the article said I would have been without that job?

Sorry, but this is natural selection in action here.
    Last edited by MRK; 03-28-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRK View Post

Sorry, but this is natural selection in action here.
    Interesting choice of words. I'm starting to think economics is really Darwinian.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Automation is a great thing, when it is used properly (sometimes it's an expensive boondoggle, but that's a different subject).

The question is, how does society make use of this new found productivity and wealth? It seems that there are two obvious options:

1. Reduce the duration of the workweek for everyone, as the current workweek is no longer necessary.
    2. Pass that extra wealth right to the top. Let many workers at the bottom sit at home and do nothing, and pay them a little to do that, so that they don't complain.

Which option to choose?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Option #1 seems pretty likely to happen in a free market, but the government will probably go for option 2...
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Many experts worry about what robots in the service sector could do to employment.
    Well, then, "many experts" need to take an economics course. Productivity creates wealth, morons. Expanding wealth creates employment.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Robots in service industry next
    I thought from the topic name that the robots got laid off for cheaper foreign labor.

In the long term automation won't cause mass unemployment, I'm sure the same fear was attached to computers. However direct outsourcing does reduce jobs because the same job is being done somewhere else.

I'm reminded of an outer limits episode where humans were kept captive, to protect them from the radiation of a long past war and forced to work mining materials and repair their robotic captors. They were waiting, generation after generation for a supply ship to come - that would never come... and when they finally revolted, they found the world outside beautiful...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    I'm reminded of an outer limits episode where humans were kept captive, to protect them from the radiation of a long past war and forced to work mining materials and repair their robotic captors. They were waiting, generation after generation for a supply ship to come - that would never come... and when they finally revolted, they found the world outside beautiful...

-t
    Tube or it didn't happen.

I commend the OP for being consistent. Anybody who thinks competition with immigrants is bad should think competition with robots is too.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Well, then, "many experts" need to take an economics course. Productivity creates wealth, morons. Expanding wealth creates employment.
    Exactly right. Robots are not even consumers. So even if all our jobs were replaced tomorrow (except for the greedy robot owners), they're not going to sell anything because no one has any money.

If robots did menial jobs, society would have more wealth to do more interesting things. My guess is it would increase our leisure time. Do we really want to live like they did 100 years ago? Anyone who did live like the average guy 100 years ago would be the poorest of the poor by today's standards.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Robots that cost 22k. How much does a drama filled server cost a year?

ATMs were one of the first major "service industry" robots. People no longer had to go to the bank to get cash or conduct financial transactions. Fewer tellers needed. Automatic car washes would be another example.

Some here don't understand automation and how it works within an economy. Are horse buggy makers still complaining about the car? Furthermore is anyone going tp argue that the internal combustion engine has ruined our society ? If you want to work a dead end, creativity-killing job for the rest of your life - go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    ........should think competition with robots is too.
    Show me where I said that. I simply posted an article. You drew that conclusion on your own. How many other fallacious conclusions do you draw on a daily basis? Too many to count, I'd wager.

Quote Originally Posted by BAllen View Post
    Show me where I said that. I simply posted an article. You drew that conclusion on your own.
    Of course I did. And again, I commend your consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Automation is a great thing, when it is used properly (sometimes it's an expensive boondoggle, but that's a different subject).

The question is, how does society make use of this new found productivity and wealth? It seems that there are two obvious options:

1. Reduce the duration of the workweek for everyone, as the current workweek is no longer necessary.
    2. Pass that extra wealth right to the top. Let many workers at the bottom sit at home and do nothing, and pay them a little to do that, so that they don't complain.

Which option to choose?
    How long until the gov't sterilizes people?

If it can do dishes I'm in 22k and all!

I love cooking but hate the damn dishes.

What if the robots become self-aware, modify their own code, and decide to enslave us? We'll look pretty silly then.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    What if the robots become self-aware, modify their own code, and decide to enslave us? We'll look pretty silly then.
    Correction. The robots will look silly then, because we'll be taking their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    If it can do dishes I'm in 22k and all!

I love cooking but hate the damn dishes.
    My dog is the prewash and then into the dishwasher. No pain.

Correction. The robots will look silly then, because we'll be taking their jobs.
    But they'll just be kickin' it by the pool while we deliver their Margaritas. How is that not a solid move on their part?
    Last edited by anaconda; 03-28-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    But they'll just be kickin' it by the pool while we deliver their Margaritas.
    Yeah but having a job and doing the actual work is more important than consuming, don't you know?

I commend the OP for being consistent. Anybody who thinks competition with immigrants is bad should think competition with robots is too.
    When they take excess humans and stack them in a warehouse or recycle them, then robots and humans will be equal.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I can't rep this enough.