Thread: Rand Paul threatens hold on Brennan nomination, demands answers on drone strikes

Exclamation Rand Paul threatens hold on Brennan nomination, demands answers on drone strikes

Sen. Paul threatens 'hold' on John Brennan for CIA

Susan Page, USA TODAY | 1:14p.m. EST February 13, 2013

Kentucky Republican tells USA TODAY he wants answers about drone use in the U.S.

WASHINGTON -- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul told USA TODAY Wednesday that he is prepared to put a "hold" on John Brennan's nomination to head the CIA, and to filibuster it if necessary, until the administration answers questions about the use of drones in the United States.

Paul said he would do "whatever it takes" to delay Brennan's confirmation until he directly answers whether American citizens legally can be killed by drone strikes within the United States.

The Kentucky Republican accused Brennan of obfuscating on the issue when it was raised at confirmation hearings before the Senate Intelligence Committee last week. Rand on Sunday said he wouldn't vote for Brennan until the questions were answered, but he raised the stakes in an interview with "Capital Download," a weekly video series on usatoday.com.

read more:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...rones/1916357/

USATODAY video:
    http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/...02/13/1917097/

press release:

Sen. Paul to Hold Brennan Nomination

Feb 13, 2013

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Sen. Rand Paul today announced he is prepared to hold the nomination of John Brennan as the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) until he receives sufficient answers to two letters of inquiry he sent to Mr. Brennan regarding the use of drones.

"I have asked Mr. Brennan if he believed that the President has the power to authorize lethal force, such as a drone strike, against a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and my question remains unanswered. I will not allow a vote on this nomination until Mr. Brennan openly responds to the questions and concerns my colleagues and I share." Sen. Paul said.

"These issues must be discussed openly so that the American people can understand what constraints exist on the government's power to use lethal force against its citizens. Before confirming Mr. Brennan as the head of the CIA, it must be apparent that he understands and will honor the protections provided to every American by the Constitution," he continued.

Sen. Paul’s recent inquiries dispatched to Mr. Brennan can be found HERE and HERE.
    http://paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=705
    Last edited by jct74; 02-13-2013 at 02:29 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good for Rand. I support this move. Put the pressure on them and draw the issue to the forefront; just the way I like it, and just the way these scumbags hate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

This is why Rand Paul kicks ass. He plays the game so that he can have a chance to actually implement the revolution in reality.

We want the Pakistani doctor released and a visa for him, ask for that Rand !

I posted the other day he should try this.

Exclamation Rand to Hold Brennan Nomination

Press release -
    Sen. Paul to Hold Brennan Nomination

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Sen. Rand Paul today announced he is prepared to hold the nomination of John Brennan as the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) until he receives sufficient answers to two letters of inquiry he sent to Mr. Brennan regarding the use of drones.

“I have asked Mr. Brennan if he believed that the President has the power to authorize lethal force, such as a drone strike, against a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and my question remains unanswered. I will not allow a vote on this nomination until Mr. Brennan openly responds to the questions and concerns my colleagues and I share.” Sen. Paul said.

“These issues must be discussed openly so that the American people can understand what constraints exist on the government’s power to use lethal force against its citizens. Before confirming Mr. Brennan as the head of the CIA, it must be apparent that he understands and will honor the protections provided to every American by the Constitution,” he continued.

Sen. Paul’s recent inquiries dispatched to Mr. Brennan can be found HERE and HERE.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Ask for the release of the doctor and an immigrant visa for him...

I agree except for one thing . . . do not threaten filibuster, it sounds obstructionist.
    The negative sound bites from threatening filibuster will come back tio bite you in the bottom.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lots of good questions in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tax the Fed View Post
    I agree except for one thing . . . do not threaten filibuster, it sounds obstructionist.
    The negative sound bites from threatening filibuster will come back tio bite you in the bottom.
    It's the only thing this administration understands. Threaten them. Put pressure on them to get the Pakistani doctor released.

BOOOO RAND! IF YOU REALLY CARED ABOUT LIBERTY YOU'D BE DOING SOMETHING ELSE! BOOO THE APPLE FELL FAR FROM THE TREE!

Here's what he told Politico:

“I’m going to object in any way we can until we find out whether or not the head of the CIA claims the authority to kill Americans without a trail with a drone in America,” Paul, the libertarian-minded conservative, told POLITICO. “You would think the notion of that is so bizarre and absurd that he would immediately say no.”

From the article:

"He was asked a very specific question. . . 'Can you kill an American with a drone in America?' And he refused to answer the question," Paul said. "I find that very, very worrisome (and) we're going to do whatever it takes to get the answer. Can the government, does the government, the president himself, claim the power to unilaterally kill an American in America without a trial?"
    Worrisome indeed.
    Why isn't every politician in America demanding an answer to this question?

I have to wonder what audience this is for. At this point anyone who would be surprised that Obama would assassinate US citizens on US soil would just go "'Murica! Terrist!" if they happened to accidentally find out.

It also implies that Brennan would be acceptable as CIA chief as long as he only assassinates US citizens when they're out of the country. Like on vacation. Oh wait, only terrists would want to leave the country to go on vacation.

I like it, but What about the 16 year old Kid they already killed in Yemen? How does Brennan/administration get free pass on this crime?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    I like it, but What about the 16 year old Kid they already killed in Yemen? How does Brennan/administration get free pass on this crime?
    Rand addresses that in his first memo to Brennan (25 Jan):

What role did you play in approving the drone strike that led to the death of the underage, U.S. citizen son of Anwar al-Awlaki? Unlike his father, he had not renounced his U.S. citizenship. Was the younger al-Awlaki the intended target of the U.S. drone strike which took his life? Further, do you reject the subsequent claim, apparently originating from
    anonymous U.S. government sources, that the young man had actually been a “military-age male” of 20 years or more of age, something that was later proven false by the release of his birth certificate?

It's sad that our beautiful bipartisanship in washington will likely see Ayotte, Graham, McCain, et all circumvent the few Republicans and the Ron Wyden Democrats and push this through.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    Worrisome indeed.
    Why isn't every politician in America demanding an answer to this question?
    Because only bad people get killed and no mistakes will ever be made. You're either with us, or you're against us! What are you, a freedom-hating, terrorist-loving non-Patriot?

You just made the list, buddy!

Can someone more politically knowledgeable than myself explain how a hold like this works? Isn't it just an informal threat of a filibuster? In which case isn't it pretty toothless unless the rest of the GOP in the Senate is willing to back Rand in a filibuster?
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."
    ~ President John Q. Adams ~

Quote Originally Posted by Darguth View Post
    Can someone more politically knowledgeable than myself explain how a hold like this works? Isn't it just an informal threat of a filibuster? In which case isn't it pretty toothless unless the rest of the GOP in the Senate is willing to back Rand in a filibuster?
    it will at least delay the nomination for a little bit and generate lots of attention for the issue. here are a couple different takes on the implications:

Democrats almost certainly would have the votes to break both a filibuster to confirm Hagel and Brennan. But the moves would be extraordinary and amount to a new front in the procedural wars that have consumed the Senate in recent years since Cabinet-level nominees rarely require 60 votes to overcome a threatened filibuster. Only two in history have so far been required to clear a cloture vote.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...nee-87608.html

Paul says he will filibuster Brennan's nomination, if necessary, a drastic move that is often threatened, but rarely used on Cabinet nominees. Senate Democrats could probably find a way to break the filibuster to get Brennan approved, but the delay and noise it would create would still be an embarrassing setback for the administration that has faced a tough round of Senate hearings this term.
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...-drones/62110/
    Last edited by jct74; 02-13-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacodever View Post
    Rand addresses that in his first memo to Brennan (25 Jan):
    Thank-you, is Rand asking for a written response to these questions & hasn't gotten them?

Aide: Reid won't honor hold against Brennan

By Kelly O'Donnell and Kasie Hunt, NBC News

After Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) today announced he is prepared to hold John Brennan's nomination to be CIA director, an aide to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said he wouldn't honor the hold.

Paul said he's willing to hold Brennan's nomination until he receives sufficient answers to two letters of inquiry he sent to Brennan regarding the use of drones.

"I have asked Mr. Brennan if he believed that the president has the power to authorize lethal force, such as a drone strike, against a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, and my question remains unanswered," Paul said. "I will not allow a vote on this nomination until Mr. Brennan openly responds to the questions and concerns my colleagues and I share."

But Reid's office will not honor the hold. Reid also refused to honor holds on Chuck Hagel's nomination to be defense secretary.
    http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...t-brennan?lite

article also has this for the person that was asking earlier what exactly a hold is:

What is a hold?

A hold is a move any individual senator can make to delay a bill/nomination from coming to the floor. It could be used to get more time to review a bill or nomination but in the current climate is an attempt to gain leverage over some issue or request.

From the Senate's official glossary:

"An informal practice by which a senator informs his or her floor leader that he or she does not wish a particular bill or other measure to reach the floor for consideration. The majority leader need not follow the senator's wishes, but is on notice that the opposing senator may filibuster any motion to proceed to consider the measure."

So since Reid won't honor the hold Rand would have to filibuster, right?

Edit: If he intends to delay the vote.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeman View Post
    So since Reid won't honor the hold Rand would have to filibuster, right?

Edit: If he intends to delay the vote.
    Yea, but Reid will just file cloture, like he did with Hagel. If Reid thinks he has 60 votes, he'll do that with Brennan and there's nothing left Rand could do.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Yea, but Reid will just file cloture, like he did with Hagel. If Reid thinks he has 60 votes, he'll do that with Brennan and there's nothing left Rand could do.
    Yes, and those who vote to break the filibuster probably will pay some political price.