Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: A blimp is a BAD IDEA - here is why

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    You're preaching to the choir. One of the arguments Matt and I had often during the 2012 cycle was over my insistence that we needed more than "likely Republican voters" to win. And I put my money where my mouth was by reaching out to Democrats with the simple message that "Obama is running unopposed. You might as well vote for the antiwar republican in the primary." I had moderate success winning over at least 8 voters. Granted they were all family members but they were voters Ron wouldn't have had otherwise. In 2016 the Democratic primary will be contested so I'm not sure what strategy to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Person-to-person that might work (personal sales are always the most effective) but there is no way that I know of to mass market that for a Republican primary.
    In Jefferson county Iowa we networked and reached out to independents and Democrats. Our county was the only county Ron Paul won in 2008 and won with nearly 50% of the vote in 2012. If independents could have had their own primary Ron would have run away with it. Perhaps my county is an outlier but what we did hear worked, plain and simple, it worked. And it felt good to win.

On a grassroots level we'll probably have the same strategy for Rand. Look to Jefferson county during the Iowa caucus and see how we do. I think we'll outperform every other county in the state. I would bet on that.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The most important thing to remember in dealing with the grassroots is that the grassroots can't be "managed." You can enlist them, but you can't centrally contain, restrain, or coerce them. Any attempt to manage, manipulate, govern, direct, exploit, or otherwise "use" the grassroots from the top down will fail, because such oversight is intrinsically antithetical — even offensive — to grassroots activism. Instead, those who seek to involve the grassroots in their cause must largely defer to the grassroots, even cater to the grassroots' vision of the cause at issue. People at the grassroots can be led — within certain inviolable principles — but they can't be made subservient.
    This
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post

The most important thing to remember in dealing with the grassroots is that the grassroots can't be "managed." You can enlist them, but you can't centrally contain, restrain, or coerce them. Any attempt to manage, manipulate, govern, direct, exploit, or otherwise "use" the grassroots from the top down will fail, because such oversight is intrinsically antithetical — even offensive — to grassroots activism. Instead, those who seek to involve the grassroots in their cause must largely defer to the grassroots, even cater to the grassroots' vision of the cause at issue. People at the grassroots can be led — within certain inviolable principles — but they can't be made subservient.
    This
    Combine that with what Matt had mentioned in post 493 and we maybe have a ball game.

Controlling the candidate's message is a given, Matt. Controlling the grassroots message is another matter. Nice try at baiting and switching though.
    If the grassroots message is different than the candidate's then it hurts the candidate (9/11 conspiracy is an example of this).

You're not relevant.
    Speak for yourself.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    In Jefferson county Iowa we networked and reached out to independents and Democrats. Our county was the only county Ron Paul won in 2008 and won with nearly 50% of the vote in 2012. If independents could have had their own primary Ron would have run away with it. Perhaps my county is an outlier but what we did hear worked, plain and simple, it worked. And it felt good to win.

On a grassroots level we'll probably have the same strategy for Rand. Look to Jefferson county during the Iowa caucus and see how we do. I think we'll outperform every other county in the state. I would bet on that.
    We actually polled that in 2012 to determine what happened there, and what we came to realize is that there was a specific demographic or psychographic anomaly in that area.... either a large church or a college or something that was pre-disposed to vote for Ron, I can't remember the specifics.

Oh and by the way, awesome job, but unfortunately that doesn't work in most places.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Speak for yourself.
    I'm pretty sure she did. It just happens to echo my belief.

If the grassroots message is different than the candidate's then it hurts the candidate (9/11 conspiracy is an example of this).

Speak for yourself.
    I've never tried to portray myself as relevant, Matt. I'm a grassroots activist and event organizer, that's it. I hang out here, because I can fellowship with people who I have a lot in common with. Unlike you, who attempts to portray himself as something he isn't. You claimed in a now closed thread, that you are an authority on matters such as these because you are an instructor on campaigning, and an advisor to candidates. When I challenged you to prove it, and suggested that you PM me if you didn't want your verification to be made public, you took me up on it - except it was all for show - you never proved a blasted thing. All you did was try in vain, ONCE AGAIN, to get me to accept your "friend request" on FB. You're no authority, Matt. You're just a coattail rider with a few classes under your belt, and some campaign worker experience.

And once again, the truther movment is NOT the reason Ron wasn't elected. Give me a freakin break.

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

I've never tried to portray myself as relevant, Matt. I'm a grassroots activist and event organizer, that's it. I hang out here, because I can fellowship with people who I have a lot in common with. Unlike you, who attempts to portray himself as something he isn't. You claimed in a now closed thread, that you are an authority on matters such as these because you are an instructor on campaigning, and an advisor to candidates. When I challenged you to prove it, and suggested that you PM me if you didn't want your verification to be made public, you took me up on it - except it was all for show - you never proved a blasted thing. All you did was try in vain, ONCE AGAIN, to get me to accept your "friend request" on FB. You're no authority, Matt. You're just a coattail rider with a few classes under your belt, and some campaign worker experience.

And once again, the truther movment is NOT the reason Ron wasn't elected. Give me a freakin break.

It really is that^. I know I wasted enough time arguing about such things; but really there is nothing you can do about it. Logic and reason don't matter, because the grassroots is an emotional thing. You can't control the grassroots, they are gonna do whatever they want to do. In fact, controlling it is the only way to really kill it off.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    It really is that^. I know I wasted enough time arguing about such things; but really there is nothing you can do about it. Logic and reason don't matter, because the grassroots is an emotional thing. You can't control the grassroots, they are gonna do whatever they want to do. In fact, controlling it is the only way to really kill it off.
    I would say that controlling it fragments it more so than killing it off. If we say kill it off we yield to the notion that a single fragment of the grassroots defines it. which it doesn't.

No one is trying to kill grassroots enthusiasm, but it needs leadership, guidance, and direction. We need to learn what it takes to win and how to be effective by doing effective things. Marches and blimps and sign waves are ineffective.

This is how a movement matures and advances its agenda instead of just being an angry mob.
    Someone with a lot of rep please NEG REP That post of Collinz..............I accidentally +rep'ed it with a negative comment. Oops, I'm not used to neg repping. Someone hit me with some neg rep for being so irresponsible with my rep.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Someone with a lot of rep please NEG REP That post of Collinz..............I accidentally +rep'ed it with a negative comment. Oops, I'm not used to neg repping. Someone hit me with some neg rep for being so irresponsible with my rep.
    I'll cover you right after I plus rep you. Gotta get some plus to generate a neg. That's the way it works brother.

Matt Collins is the Nancy Pelosi of Ron Paul forums.

I seem to recall that he said more than once that the campaign wasn't even running to win, but just to get Ron'a name and message out. It might be true that spending money on the blimp didn't earn us enough votes-per-dollar spent, but we still got more media airtime than the official campaign did with their ad buys, because they didn't buy any.

And since we now know that Ron's campaign was not really running to win any elections regardless, it turns out that targeting voters in a conventional manner (ie: sending money to the campaign) was actually a far dumber idea than the blimp ever was.

We had to fund the campaign to find out what was in it.

But he has the unmitigated gall to claim the grassroots needs to learn how to win .... even though the campaign was never about winning, even though they adamantly claimed they were running to win ..... That would be funny if it didn't make me so irate.

But that's the Pelosi factor You can throw all the facts at him you want, but he never blinks. He just makes up some new reason to be right.

Last edited by angelatc; 11-26-2014 at 06:10 PM.

You're not relevant.
    Speak for yourself.
    I'm pretty sure she did. It just happens to echo my belief.
    Yeah, well, that just proves that you're not relevant, either. Didn't you get the memo?
    Only officially trained and approved hucksters like Teh Collinz get to make such judgements ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-26-2014 at 06:14 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

I seem to recall that he said more than once that the campaign wasn't even running to win, but just to get Ron'a name and message out. It might be true that spending money on the blimp didn't earn us enough votes-per-dollar spent, but we still got more media airtime than the official campaign did with their ad buys, because they didn't buy any.

And since we now know that Ron's campaign was not really running to win any elections regardless, it turns out that targeting voters in a conventional manner (ie: sending money to the campaign) was actually a far dumber idea than the blimp ever was.

But he has the unmitigated gall to claim the grassroots needs to learn how to win .... even though the campaign was never about winning, even though they adamantly claimed they were running to win ..... That would be funny if it didn't make me so irate.

But that's the Pelosi factor You can throw all the facts at him you want, but he never blinks. He just makes up some new reason to be right.

I'm dying here. ROFLMAO!! The whole thing was priceless, but that line is a real treasure!

Actually it has... Rand is polling #1 in NH right now and in the top tier in Iowa too.
    http://www.yourlogicalfallacyis.Post...go-propter-hoc

And did he win the nomination using that approach?
    What does it benefit a man if he gains the whole world (or a nomination) but forfeits his soul in the process?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Yeah, well, that just proves that you're not relevant, either. Didn't you get the memo?
    Only officially trained and approved hucksters like Teh Collinz get to make such judgements ...

Epic.

Now blmpin' ain't easy but it's necessary
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Tom's message there wasn't as bad as the fact of when and where that he said it.

yourlogicalfallacyis:youkeepspoutingthesamethingov erandoverwithnoproof

I'm dying here. ROFLMAO!! The whole thing was priceless, but that line is a real treasure!
    Gonna have to generate some more to give angelatc a + rep for this can ya cover me?

Gonna have to generate some more to give angelatc a + rep for this can ya cover me?
    Did.

Originally Posted by Deborah K:

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I don't have the time. Is there an online certification program that I can just throw .02 cents at?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Done.

Now to whack Teh Collinz with a neg rep for yet another "your logical fallacy" fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    What does it benefit a man if he gains the whole world (or a nomination) but forfeits his soul in the process?
    Too many people lose sight of that.

"Winning" the conventional way, in this environment, means you lose, in the end.

Yeah, and that has worked so well, hasn't it?
    Actually it has... Rand is polling #1 in NH right now and in the top tier in Iowa too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ain't it strange how Teh Collinz seems to forget all about how "correlation is not causation" when it suits his purposes?

Why, one might almost be tempted to think that maybe he's an intellectually dishonest hypocrite ...

We actually polled that in 2012 to determine what happened there, and what we came to realize is that there was a specific demographic or psychographic anomaly in that area.... either a large church or a college or something that was pre-disposed to vote for Ron, I can't remember the specifics.

Oh and by the way, awesome job, but unfortunately that doesn't work in most places.
    Hogwash! That's EXACTLY how you win, at least if the media isn't pushing you and/or votes are rigged in your favor. This has been shown over and over by grassroots campaigns, some publicized here like Gunny's and some that aren't like my county commissioner friend that won because of poll workers and door-to-door activism. I'm sure you'll claim that such practices can't be applied to national campaigns but they can be if the efforts are targeted correctly, coordinated with the national campaign and the message is tailored to resonate with those voters. Collins talks a lot about tailoring message but I think he really means tailoring the "image", not so much the message. Ron was about the message, not the image.

That's the beauty of libertarian philosophy. It's not about pushing a centrally controlled top-down authority message. It's about letting voters know that they can decide what their own community's concerns are and how to best address them without the corporate-owned feds dictating from 2000 miles away. Of course, a politician can't address every concern in national appearances like debates but the campaign trail is where it can be done. Debates are where the big picture liberty message is delivered. The grassroots can help to determine what these local issues are for that candidate to speak to at local appearances.
    Last edited by devil21; 11-26-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast