Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adolf Hitler: Man of the Year, 1938 - Time Magazine

Adolf Hitler: Man of the Year, 1938 - Time Magazine

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...760539,00.html

Greatest single news event of 1938 took place on September 29, when four statesmen met at the Führerhaus, in Munich, to redraw the map of Europe. The three visiting statesmen at that historic conference were Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain of Great Britain, Premier Edouard Daladier of France, and Dictator Benito Mussolini of Italy. But by all odds the dominating figure at Munich was the German host, Adolf Hitler.

Führer of the German people, Commander-in-Chief of the German Army, Navy & Air Force, Chancellor of the Third Reich, Herr Hitler reaped on that day at Munich the harvest of an audacious, defiant, ruthless foreign policy he had pursued for five and a half years. He had torn the Treaty of Versailles to shreds. He had rearmed Germany to the teeth— or as close to the teeth as he was able. He had stolen Austria before the eyes of a horrified and apparently impotent world.

All these events were shocking to nations which had defeated Germany on the battlefield only 20 years before, but nothing so terrified the world as the ruthless, methodical, Nazi-directed events which during late summer and early autumn threatened a world war over Czechoslovakia. When without loss of blood he reduced Czechoslovakia to a German puppet state, forced a drastic revision of Europe's defensive alliances, and won a free hand for himself in Eastern Europe by getting a "hands-off" promise from powerful Britain (and later France), Adolf Hitler without doubt became 1938's Man of the Year.

Most other world figures of 1938 faded in importance as the year drew to a close. Prime Minister Chamberlain's "peace with honor'' seemed more than ever to have achieved neither. An increasing number of Britons ridiculed his appease-the-dictators policy, believed that nothing save abject surrender could satisfy the dictators' ambitions.

Among many Frenchmen there rose a feeling that Premier Daladier, by a few strokes of the pen at Munich, had turned France into a second-rate power. Aping Mussolini in his gestures and copying triumphant Hitler's shouting complex, the once liberal Daladier at year's end was reduced to using parliamentary tricks to keep his job.
    (See pictures inside Hitler's bunker.)

During 1938 Dictator Mussolini was only a decidedly junior partner in the firm of Hitler & Mussolini, Inc. His noisy agitation to get Corsica and Tunis from France was rated as a weak bluff whose immediate objectives were no more than cheaper tolls for Italian ships in the Suez Canal and control of the Djibouti-Addis Ababa railroad.

Gone from the international scene was Eduard Benes, for 20 years Europe's "Smartest Little Statesman." Last President of free Czechoslovakia, he was now a sick exile from the country he helped found. Pious Chinese Generalissimo Chiang Kaishek, Man of 1937, was forced to retreat to a "New" West China, where he faced the possibility of becoming only a respectable figurehead in an enveloping Communist movement. If Francisco Franco had won the Spanish Civil War after his great spring drive, he might well have been Man-of-the-Year timber. But victory still eluded the Generalissimo and war weariness and disaffection on the Rightist side made his future precarious.
    So, how many of you did not know that? I didn't.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Man of the Year" is typically the person who influenced world events the most. It does not necessariy mean they were a nice person.

Führer of the German people, Commander-in-Chief of the German Army, Navy & Air Force, Chancellor of the Third Reich, Herr Hitler reaped on that day at Munich the harvest of an audacious, defiant, ruthless foreign policy he had pursued for five and a half years. He had torn the Treaty of Versailles to shreds. He had rearmed Germany to the teeth— or as close to the teeth as he was able. He had stolen Austria before the eyes of a horrified and apparently impotent world.

All these events were shocking to nations which had defeated Germany on the battlefield only 20 years before, but nothing so terrified the world as the ruthless, methodical, Nazi-directed events which during late summer and early autumn threatened a world war over Czechoslovakia. When without loss of blood he reduced Czechoslovakia to a German puppet state, forced a drastic revision of Europe's defensive alliances, and won a free hand for himself in Eastern Europe by getting a "hands-off" promise from powerful Britain (and later France), Adolf Hitler without doubt became 1938's Man of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post

I knew it happened, I just forgot the year. But Zippy's right. Remember ~10 years ago when the PoTY was "YOU"? :rollyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Stalin received the award twice...
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

"Man of the Year" is typically the person who influenced world events the most. It does not necessariy mean they were a nice person.
    For the reason you speak, I'd say president Obama should win the award. Wait. I take that back. President Obama is less of a "Commander and Chief" and more a "Cower in the background and Kill from a distance."
    Unlike these antagonists in the past, he is truly evil.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...760539,00.html

Keep digging...

Just goes to show you what a pile of dog $#@! Time Magazine is. Nefarious propagandists. Always have been.

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulfollower999 View Post
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Again, 'Man of the Year' implies their effect on world events, not on how nice they were. There is no reason to be angry with the magazine over stuff like this.
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    Again, 'Man of the Year' implies their effect on world events, not on how nice they were. There is no reason to be angry with the magazine over stuff like this.
    I don't think anyone's denying that. But the slant of Time over the years definitely doesn't make me think more of Rubio for appearing on the cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    Again, 'Man of the Year' implies their effect on world events, not on how nice they were.
    I've made the statement several times that I believe Hitler was one of the greatest leaders of all time. People always get really offended, because they think I'm saying he did good things. It's a similar phenomenon... people like to jump to conclusions entirely too quickly.

Ayatullah Khomeini got it in 1979 for the Iranian revoulution and the US hostages taken and held for 444 days. Nixon and Kissinger in 1972. 1951 was Mohammad Mosaddegh, freely elected leader of Iran who was ousted that year by the US CIA who installed the Shah of Iran.

Marco Rubio would have to do something significant to get the title.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-11-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Just goes to show you what a pile of dog $#@! Time Magazine is. Nefarious propagandists. Always have been.
    I'd wipe my ass with Time, but toilet paper is cheaper.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroneous View Post
    I've made the statement several times that I believe Hitler was one of the greatest leaders of all time. People always get really offended, because they think I'm saying he did good things. It's a similar phenomenon... people like to jump to conclusions entirely too quickly.
    Back up your claim.

How was he the greatest leader?

He used terrorism on his own people. Great speaker? He lied during speeches constantly. He was intellectually dishonest - he killed or expelled any competition whether political or intellectual. He was a thug.

Any chimpanzee could have done what Hitler did, he used the new technologies of an era to oppress his people and go on a genocidal rampage.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that people think you're a neo-nazi or full of $#@! when you make that claim.
    Last edited by VoluntaryAmerican; 02-11-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Everyone always says this when anyone mentions Hitler's being named it, but if that were true: why was Giuliani Time's 'Man of the Year' in 2001 instead of Osama bin Laden?

Moving hungry and frightened sheep in the direction you want them to go, doesn't make you a great leader. It just makes you a sheepherder. I think a great leader of a country, would be one who left everyone alone. Maybe convince everyone to lead themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From other sources, Hitler rebuilt his country after "The World War" by not surrendering to the Central Banks. That is what made him Man of the Year. But since he became a threat to the Central Banks, he had to be taken out. WWII. Excluding the obvious, did I miss anything?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Moving hungry and frightened sheep in the direction you want them to go, doesn't make you a great leader. It just makes you a sheepherder. I think a great leader of a country, would be one who left everyone alone. Maybe convince everyone to lead themselves.
    Like Ron Paul?

From other sources, Hitler rebuilt his country after "The World War" by not surrendering to the Central Banks. That is what made him Man of the Year. But since he became a threat to the Central Banks, he had to be taken out. WWII. Excluding the obvious, did I miss anything?
    And liquidating the wealth and lives of a minority group.

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    Like Ron Paul?
    Exactly who I had in mind.
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

Peace.

Back up your claim.

How was he the greatest leader?

He used terrorism on his own people. Great speaker? He lied during speeches constantly. He was intellectually dishonest - he killed or expelled any competition whether political or intellectual. He was a thug.

Any chimpanzee could have done what Hitler did, he used the new technologies of an era to oppress his people and go on a genocidal rampage.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that people think you're a neo-nazi or full of $#@! when you make that claim.
    You both seem to be making the assumption that a leader has to be a good person while they lead. I look at leadership as getting people to do things you want them to do. Hitler accomplished this extremely well. You can call it herding sheep or whatever you want, but Hitler was capable of motivating people to do his bidding.

Also, lies during a speech don't make someone a bad orator... just a dishonest one. Hitler was regarded as an extremely charismatic speaker and knew how to rally the masses.

The guy was an $#@!, I think we can all agree on that. When it comes to motivating people to do something he was an expert. And while we would all love a President who leaves everyone alone, Henry Rogue, that would be showing no form of leadership. Leadership is about guiding and directing people, something which is a little bit of a conflict for liberty supporters who just want personal freedom. Leadership isn't always needed... it's really only needed for change. Leaving people alone would be a change, but it doesn't really require getting a ton of people to follow you.

But thank you both for proving my point. People often confuse the bad things that Hitler did with the basic understanding of what leadership is. Great leaders aren't necessarily great people.
    Last edited by Aeroneous; 02-11-2013 at 09:34 PM.

You both seem to be making the assumption that a leader has to be a good person while they lead. I look at leadership as getting people to do things you want them to do. Hitler accomplished this extremely well. You can call it herding sheep or whatever you want, but Hitler was capable of motivating people to do his bidding.

Also, lies during a speech don't make someone a bad orator... just a dishonest one. Hitler was regarded as an extremely charismatic speaker and knew how to rally the masses.

The guy was an $#@!, I think we can all agree on that. When it comes to motivating people to do something he was an expert. And while we would all love a President who leaves everyone alone, Henry Rogue, that would be showing no form of leadership. Leadership is about guiding and directing people, something which is a little bit of a conflict for liberty supporters who just want personal freedom. Leadership isn't always needed... it's really only needed for change. Leaving people alone would be a change, but it doesn't really require getting a ton of people to follow you.

But thank you both for proving my point. People often confuse the bad things that Hitler did with the basic understanding of what leadership is. Great leaders aren't necessarily great people.
    Leading by example is a form of leadership, but if you're right about great leaders then I hope this country ends up with the worst leader possible.

Peace.

Leading by example is a form of leadership, but if you're right about great leaders then I hope this country ends up with the worst leader possible.
    Leading by example is part of being a good leader. People are hesitant to follow "leaders" who don't live what they're preaching. Leading by just setting the example alone does not guarantee any form of results. From a liberty perspective, I think a good leader would be one who motivated the rest of the government to leave the public alone (while they did the same).
    Last edited by Aeroneous; 02-11-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Leading by example is part of being a good leader. People are hesitant to follow "leaders" who don't live what they're preaching. Leading by just setting the example alone does not guarantee any form of results. From a liberty perspective, I think a good leader would be one who motivated the rest of the government to leave the public alone (while they did the same).
    Sounds good to me. I often wonder how much media plays a part in a leader's goals. It seems they have the power to decide what agendas will be discussed in public and eventually legislated. If the leader's and media's goals are the same then it bodes well for the leader. I've had bosses that were micromanagers. Their style wore thin in short order. I had bosses that delegated responsibility and kept people motivated towards an end goal. If motivation is the only criteria for a great leader, then results must be meaningless. The result of hitler's leadership was disastrous for his followers.

Off topic. The thing is, should the President of the U.S. be considered a leader of the people at all. President suggests he presides,
    1.Be in the position of authority in a meeting or gathering: "Bishop Herbener presided at the meeting". 2.Be in charge of (a place or situation). Synonyms chair - head - moderate
    a position of authority,
    1.The power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience: "he had absolute authority over his subordinates". 2.The right to act in a specified way, delegated from one person or organization to another. Synonyms power - control - warrant
    but authority over who? His executive branch. Supposedly the People are the presidents boss. Supposedly we give him his marching orders. Of course the morality of a democratically elected representative is a different subject.
    Last edited by Henry Rogue; 02-12-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Peace.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's why we don't have "leaders".

Never mind the outright ridiculous notion of thinking that mob of cum-drunk sluts in the District of Calamity could even "lead" a drunken sailor to a whore house, the idea never was to be "leaders".

They are supposed to be our representatives.

Which I suppose, when you think about it, is even worse.

People are still following Hitler and the dudes been dead for more than six decades.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

I look at leadership as getting people to do things you want them to do.
    This is your problem. With your view of 'leadership' totalitarians like Hitler will always be the greatest leader.

But as far as his orating skills... like I said already, he lied and used terrorism/false flags to back his lies up. That's not civil debate. People were afraid of him. Of course they would say he was a great speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That's why we don't have "leaders".

Never mind the outright ridiculous notion of thinking that mob of cum-drunk sluts in the District of Calamity could even "lead" a drunken sailor to a whore house, the idea never was to be "leaders".

They are supposed to be our representatives.

Which I suppose, when you think about it, is even worse.
    That's what happens when I keep thinking about and adding to my post without refreshing the page. The next post states what I added. Could of saved myself the trouble if I would have refreshed the page.

Peace.

This is your problem. With your view of 'leadership' totalitarians like Hitler will always be the greatest leader.

But as far as his orating skills... like I said already, he lied and used terrorism/false flags to back his lies up. That's not civil debate. People were afraid of him. Of course they would say he was a great speaker.
    Actually much like Obama, he constantly spoke of "change" and "hope", which inspired a depressed population. The fear came later, but that's irrelevant. Whether or not the guy lied or used false flags, he was good at delivering speeches.

The dictionary definition of leadership has to do only with the capability to direct. Society has turned the phrase "leadership" into some type of mystical trait that only good people have, so they hate to hear that it can be used for terrible ends. So yes, totalitarianism fosters an environment for effective leadership.

But again you prove my point. People keep confusing the word leader with words like savior, hero, humanitarian, philanthropist, altruist, samaritan, etc.

Actually much like Obama, he constantly spoke of "change" and "hope", which inspired a depressed population. The fear came later, but that's irrelevant. Whether or not the guy lied or used false flags, he was good at delivering speeches.

The dictionary definition of leadership has to do only with the capability to direct. Society has turned the phrase "leadership" into some type of mystical trait that only good people have, so they hate to hear that it can be used for terrible ends. So yes, totalitarianism fosters an environment for effective leadership.

But again you prove my point. People keep confusing the word leader with words like savior, hero, humanitarian, philanthropist, altruist, samaritan, etc.
    It has been reported that, while Hitler was speaking, young German women would scream, tinkle in their panties, and pass out. That sounds just like the effects of president Obama's golden voice. I know there has been a few occasions when I've found myself waking up after passing out during one of the majestic bastard's State of the Union addresses!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast