Thread: Rand Paul and Thomas Massie to testify Monday for Kentucky hemp bill

Rand Paul and Thomas Massie to testify Monday for Kentucky hemp bill

Rand Paul, John Yarmuth and Thomas Massie to testify Monday for hemp bill

Published: February 8, 2013
    By Jack Brammer

FRANKFORT — Senate Agriculture Committee Chairman Paul Hornback, R-Shelbyville, said his panel will vote Monday on his industrial hemp bill after it hears from U.S. Sen. Rand Paul and U.S. Reps. John Yarmuth and Thomas Massie.

Senate Bill 50 would license farmers to grow industrial hemp under Kentucky Department of Agriculture regulations if federal restrictions are lifted. Hemp cultivation is now banned because it shares a classification with marijuana, although hemp has extremely low levels of the active drug THC.

Paul, R-Bowling Green, has filed federal legislation to differentiate between hemp and marijuana, and he and Yarmuth, D-Louisville, plan to lobby Washington for a waiver that would allow Kentucky farmers to grow hemp if the regulatory legislation passes. Massie, R-Garrison, also supports the move.

U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Louisville, has endorsed efforts in Kentucky to legalize industrial hemp, but U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers, R-Somerset, has said he is concerned about law-enforcement officials' opposition to it and whether there is a market for the crop.

read more:
    http://www.kentucky.com/2013/02/08/2...nd-thomas.html

[update]

media coverage:

Rand:

Thomas:

Last edited by jct74; 02-12-2013 at 04:28 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hal Rogers is concerned if there is a market for the crop? wtf does that have to do with legalizing it? He thinks we should outlaw something because there isn't a market for it?

There is a huge market for it.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner James Comer on SB 50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc2Y_NoONRI
    Last edited by jct74; 02-11-2013 at 12:31 AM.

I'm surprised how many people still believe that hemp and marijuana are one in the same. A .005% THC level makes hemp worthless as a drug. Someone must be working awfully hard to create such a long standing misconception.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Hal Rogers is concerned if there is a market for the crop? wtf does that have to do with legalizing it? He thinks we should outlaw something because there isn't a market for it?
    Hal Rogers is horrible, was defending drone strikes this morning. Get rid of him ASAP Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    lol he needs to 'study up' ... what an assclown.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

here's a collection of media coverage from Monday's hearing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moby9-Wa5jY

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for the videos, this is great news that it passed committee. I do wonder why they are so concerned about getting permission from DC, when Colorado and Washington state have already outright legalized marijuana without permission.
    Last edited by brandon; 02-12-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Excellent! I enjoyed listening to Massie as a fellow farmer.