Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S. 209 - Audit the Fed - 32 Cosponsors [12/10 Update +1]

S. 209 - Audit the Fed - 32 Cosponsors [12/10 Update +1]

S. 209

Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2013

Sponsor: Paul, Rand [KY] (introduced 2/4/2013)

Cosponsors (32)

Sen Ayotte, Kelly [NH] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Barrasso, John [WY] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Begich, Mark [AK] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Boozman, John [AR] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Burr, Richard [NC] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Chambliss, Saxby [GA] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Coburn, Tom [OK] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Cochran, Thad [MS] - 5/21/2014
    Sen Collins, Susan M. [ME] - 2/11/2013
    Sen Cornyn, John [TX] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Crapo, Mike [ID] - 3/4/2013
    Sen Cruz, Ted [TX] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Enzi, Michael B. [WY] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Graham, Lindsey [SC] - 1/7/2014
    Sen Grassley, Chuck [IA] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Hatch, Orrin G. [UT] - 2/7/2013
    Sen Heller, Dean [NV] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Isakson, Johnny [GA] - 9/18/2014
    Sen Kirk, Mark Steven [IL] - 12/9/2014
    Sen Lee, Mike [UT] - 2/4/2013
    Sen McConnell, Mitch [KY] - 2/7/2013
    Sen Moran, Jerry [KS] - 12/11/2013
    Sen Murkowski, Lisa [AK] - 9/10/2013
    Sen Portman, Rob [OH] - 10/29/2013
    Sen Risch, James E. [ID] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Roberts, Pat [KS] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Rubio, Marco [FL] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Scott, Tim [SC] - 10/31/2013
    Sen Sessions, Jeff [AL] - 2/25/2013
    Sen Thune, John [SD] - 2/7/2013
    Sen Toomey, Pat [PA] - 2/4/2013
    Sen Vitter, David [LA] - 2/4/2013
    ==================================================

Cosponsored S. 202 in 112th Congress but have not yet cosponsored S. 209 (5):

Sen Blunt, Roy [MO]
    Sen Inhofe, James M. [OK]
    Sen McCain, John [AZ]
    Sen Shelby, Richard C. [AL]
    Sen Wicker, Roger F. [MS]

Voted for or supported H.R. 459 in 2012 while a member of the House but have not yet cosponsored S. 209 (6):

Sen Baldwin, Tammy [WI]
    Sen Donnelly, Joe [IN]
    Sen Flake, Jeff [AZ]
    Sen Heinrich, Martin [NM]
    Sen Hirono, Mazie K. [HI]
    Sen Murphy, Christopher S. [CT]

Remaining Republican Senators who have not yet cosponsored S. 209 (7):

Sen Alexander, Lamar [TN]
    Sen Coats, Daniel [IN]
    Sen Corker, Bob [TN]
    Sen Fischer, Deb [NE]
    Sen Hoeven, John [ND]
    Sen Johanns, Mike [NE]
    Sen Johnson, Ron [WI]

Find contact information for your Senators here:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

Link to H.R. 24, the House Audit the Fed bill:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...s-3-1-Update-6
    Last edited by tsai3904; 12-10-2014 at 10:12 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Three new cosponsors yesterday:

Sen Hatch, Orrin G. [UT] - 2/7/2013
    Sen McConnell, Mitch [KY] - 2/7/2013
    Sen Thune, John [SD] - 2/7/2013
    McConnell signing on is huge news. He refused to do so last two years and signals that if Republicans ever gain control of Senate, he will push this through.

One new cosponsor yesterday:

Sen Collins, Susan M. [ME] - 2/11/2013

Rob Portman - OH - Say's he would only support a one time Audit
    Sherrod Brown - OH - Doesn't seem to support it at all

Quote Originally Posted by WarAnonymous View Post
    Rob Portman - OH - Say's he would only support a one time Audit
    Portman cosponsored the bill last year so it shouldn't take too many calls and emails to get him to cosponsor again in this Congress.

Thank you for keeping this updated!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

LOL! You updated this just as I was going to post it!

Liberty News ‏@LbrtyNews
    S 209, #AuditTheFed, picked up a cosponsor yesterday. Thanks @senatorsessions! Now up to 23 total cosponsors.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Sen Sessions, Jeff [AL] - 2/25/2013

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Portman cosponsored the bill last year so it shouldn't take too many calls and emails to get him to cosponsor again in this Congress.
    I've called and emailed him a bunch. He keeps saying that he believe that the Fed might be a problem but he doesn't think full transparency is the way to go. We need not bother them, we will make the situation worse. He says we need to start with a 1x audit.

Sen Crapo, Mike [ID] - 3/4/2013

Mazie Hirono [HI], who was a member of the House in 2012 and is now a Senator, did not cosponsor nor was she present during the vote of HR 459 in 2012 so we are unsure of where she stands.

However, I just found this in the Congressional Record. She submitted these remarks the day before the vote of HR 459.

SPEECH OF
    HON. MAZIE K. HIRONO
    OF HAWAII
    IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
    TUESDAY, JULY 24, 2012

Ms. HIRONO. Mr. Speaker, I believe that transparency in the activities of government is extremely important and that we should endeavor to let in more sunlight, not less. Therefore, I am proud to support H.R. 459, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act.

The financial crisis of 2007-2008 cost nearly $6.5 trillion in household wealth. That's home equity and savings for retirement and college that millions of people will likely never get back. Between December 2007 and early 2010 8.7 million jobs were lost--Including a record-breaking 779,000 in January of 2009 alone.

I raise these frightening numbers to illustrate a point--the impact of the financial crisis was disastrous, widespread, and occurred very quickly.

As a result, unprecedented steps were taken to halt the disastrous decline in our economy. These included the Federal Reserve (the Fed) stretching its emergency lending authority farther than it ever had to before. This, along with the legislative actions of Congress and the efforts of the Bush and Obama Administrations, helped to prevent the ``Great Recession'' from instead becoming ``The Great Depression Redux.''

The Obama Administration and Congress have worked to rebuild our economy. Over 4.4 million jobs have been created over the past 28 consecutive months. The American automobile industry has been saved and is prospering. Communities across the nation benefitted from investments in transportation, energy, and other vital areas from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. The Fed has also contributed to this effort by keeping interest rates low and other measures.

But progress has not been fast enough. We are all frustrated by the current state of affairs. We are also rightly frustrated at the conduct of banks and bankers--private sector bankers and central bankers alike.

I recognize that the actions of the Fed are subject to Congressional oversight and audits by the Government Accountability Office. I was proud to support the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, which included needed reforms of the Fed's emergency lending authority, and required that the Government Accountability Office conduct an audit of the Fed's emergency lending programs.

These are much needed steps. While I don't share the view that we should abolish the Fed, or that the Fed's activities are necessarily malicious, I do believe that the American people have a right to know how decisions about interest rates and other policies that impact their day-to-day lives are made.

The recent revelations that major international banks colluded to set the London Inter-Bank Offered Rate (LIBOR), which is an influential global interest rate, indicate that it is in the public interest to more closely scrutinize the activities of both financial market players as well as those that are supposed to be the unbiased referees like the Fed.

Today's bill is a positive step toward doing that and I am proud to support H.R. 459.
    This makes five current Democratic Senators who supported HR 459 in the House in 2012.

I will call Portman and Brown tomorrow.
    Too bad our elected officials are not as aggressively trying to reduce the federal deficit as they are trying to strip us of our constitutional rights.

1 new cosponsor from 9/10:

Sen Murkowski, Lisa [AK] - 9/10/2013

Sen. Dan Coats (IN) contacted, again.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Contacted Sen. Daniel Coats and Sen. Joe Donnelly, again today.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Senator "Bailout Bob" Corker will NOT vote for a full audit:

_______
    SOURCE: http://tncampaignforliberty.org/word...deral-reserve/

Critics took aim at Republican Sen. Bob Corker last month after he called for a hearing to investigate more than $2 billion in trading losses at JPMorgan, then used the occasion to heap praise on CEO Jamie Dimon.

Corker called Dimon “one of the best CEOs in the country for financial institutions” and deemed the losses, which the New York Times reported last week could total as much as $9 billion, a “blip on the radar screen.”...JPMorgan has contributed more to Corker’s campaign than all but two other organizations, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. The senator, a member of the Senate Banking Committee, has received $10,000 from the company’s political action committee and $54,000 from individuals who work for the bank.

His No. 1 contributor is Goldman Sachs
    , whose employees have given $71,700.
    ...Corker’s Republican challengers say the senator’s financial ties to large corporations partly explain why his voting record isn’t as conservative as they think it should be.They point to vote ratings by the conservative group Heritage Action for America, which said Corker voted conservatively only 74 percent of the time, and by the nonpartisan Congressional Quarterly, which found Corker voted with President Barack Obama’s position 61 percent of the time last year.“Just look to see who’s contributing to his campaign,” said Zach Poskevich, a tea party-backed Republican from Hendersonville.

He said that might explain why Corker voted for the 2008 bank bailout and for the 2009 Cash for Clunkers program that offered consumers rebates to trade in gas-guzzlers for more fuel-efficient cars.
    ...Corker said Dodd-Frank went too far and has created uncertainty among businesses, but he thinks there is a role for government in regulating financial institutions and markets.“What’s happened is that the administration has responded (to the financial crisis) by trying to put a regulator in the seat of every banker,” he said. “What we really need to be doing is regulating the markets.”...“Nobody’s been more active in focusing on fiscal solvency than me,” he said.His Republican opponents disagree, saying Corker should have voted against raising the nation’s debt limit last summer.

Corker has defended his vote for a debt compromise by pointing out that the deal promised to cut deficits by more than $2 trillion over 10 years.
    Last edited by Matt Collins; 10-25-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Senator "Liberal Lamar" Alexander says auditing the Federal Reserve is "a bad idea"

SOURCE: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23911_Page2.html
    Last edited by Matt Collins; 10-25-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

More video of "Bailout Bob" Corker:

1 new cosponsor yesterday:

Sen Portman, Rob [OH] - 10/29/2013

Sen Scott, Tim [SC] - 10/31/2013

Sen Moran, Jerry [KS] - 12/11/2013

Sen Graham, Lindsey [SC] - 1/7/2014

Sen Cochran, Thad [MS] - 5/21/2014

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    ha ha ha... that's hilarious given the timing

It remains to be seen how many of these senators have simply been given the "green light" to pretend to want this audit by the establishment who knows it will not pass a democratic senate. See how many of these guys cut and run once the GOP has a majority after this November.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Sen Isakson, Johnny [GA] - 9/18/2014

Nice. Hoping this starts to pick up steam again.

Indiana Republicans have Audit the Fed as part of our GOP platform. There is ZERO reason why Coats has not co-sponsored. Frustrating really.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Top two Senate Republicans (McConnell and Cornyn) have now said Audit the Fed will get a vote if GOP wins control of Senate.
    Last edited by tsai3904; 09-20-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast