Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the US Government Buy Only US Made Products?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Then the government would be able to do a lot less, and I assume most of us would be cheering that.
    They would simply raise the budget, print more money, then tax everyone more....where have I heard that before?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't care, it's government. The more of it we kill, the better off we are. Full stop. I'd be all-in with a law that made elected officials eat cockroaches just to make people not want the fn job.
    If the end justifies the means, I surmise that you would support a draft for both men and women between the ages of 18-30 and send them off to fight in the hopes of ending war.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    If the end justifies the means, I surmise that you would support a draft for both men and women between the ages of 18-30 and send them off to fight in the hopes of ending war.

Wait, you are saying because I want to restrict government, means I want to force kids to go to war?

Do you even read what you write? o.O

They would simply raise the budget, print more money, then tax everyone more....where have I heard that before?
    I dunno, who else is running around talking about chaining down government under more and more stringent control?

Wait, you are saying because I want to restrict government, means I want to force kids to go to war?

Do you even read what you write? o.O
    If you agree that the end justies the means then sure, send everyone off to war to end it a draft might wake people up. Who cares how to stop it, just stop it. In my view, government purchasing made in the USA perpetuates the very exisitance of the government.

If the end is to eliminate government, why would you hope that they purchase made in the USA products? It perpetuates the very exisitance of the government you wish to eliminate. Through nepotism and coporate selection on who/which companies get to provide for it.

I dunno, who else is running around talking about chaining down government under more and more stringent control?
    RP.

you?

RP.

you?
    My record speaks for itself.

If you agree that the end justies the means then sure, send everyone off to war to end it a draft might wake people up. Who cares how to stop it, just stop it. In my view, government purchasing made in the USA perpetuates the very exisitance of the government.

If the end is to eliminate government, why would you hope that they purchase made in the USA products? It perpetuates the very exisitance of the government you wish to eliminate. Through nepotism and coporate selection on who/which companies get to provide for it.

OK, let's break down this logic.

"I want government to be subject to arbitrary and intense restriction by the people at large"

"OH!!!111! So you want to enslave children and send them off to die in a war!!!111!!"

most people that use such logic I call liberals, democrats, republicans, or neoconservatives.

You do know that illogical appeals to emotion are not only fallacious, but are the very weapon the left and the right use to stifle liberty.

Do you really want to be allied with such monsters?
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 02-03-2013 at 03:54 PM.

The more I read the thread the more I think this idea is a bad one.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

I am in favor of something like this - but ONLY for government. Government should have to abide by rules the rest of us do not. I don't really think the US Gov 'buying American' will make any kind of real difference, it's more about any excuse to chain government down and put them under the control of the people. Also, if there were going to be any sort of protectionist economic stimuli stuff, this has to be one of the more harmless ones.
    Makes sense to me
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The government should buy us the best bang for our tax dollar. Which means trading in an open world economy. However, there is a potential national security issue if supply lines are cut off in war time. So there may be an argument (in this case) for "protectionist" policies in procuring national defense products.

Weapons yes, office chairs no.

For things we have to trust buy here, but for regular items get what is cheapest.

If the government would use products to near failure instead of selling things off like trucks every 5 years we would save a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Yes they should. They are using our tax dollars and if they are going to extract our money by force, it damn sure should stay in the country.
    Dollars can only be spent in the U.S. so in the end it evens out.

What the government buys should have nothing to do with where it was made.

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post
    Dollars are accepted as legal tender in numerous places in the world. In some places you'll use more or less dollars than the local accepted currencies because of exchange rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    This is the wrong question to ask. It should be "Should the US Government buy anything?" The answer is no. They should ask for donations. (the IRS already has a mechanism for "patriotic donations") In reality, the government doesn't buy anything (at least not at this point in time)-they use credit, with citizens and holders of US debt paying for it.
    Just wanted to bump this to the latest page in case newcomers are interested. /exits thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Dollars are accepted as legal tender in numerous places in the world. In some places you'll use more or less dollars than the local accepted currencies because of exchange rates.
    I did forget about that. Still, they will make their way back to the U.S. probably. If not, the extra cost of the products will cost us money anyways.

Why would anyone want their government paying higher prices(assuming identical products)? To say yes, is dumb imo, unless it is in some sort of back door way to get the government wasting money on this stuff rather than oppressing it's people.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is irrelevant. Pieces of paper does not mean wealth. We could ship our dollars overseas and they could burn it for all I care. It would actually make us wealthier as a nation if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by cubical View Post
    Why would anyone want their government paying higher prices(assuming identical products)? To say yes, is dumb imo, unless it is in some sort of back door way to get the government wasting money on this stuff rather than oppressing it's people.
    ding ding ding we have a winnah!

If the end is to eliminate government, why would you hope that they purchase made in the USA products? It perpetuates the very exisitance of the government you wish to eliminate.
    Good point. We should start by mandating that the US government can only buy products made start to finish entirely on Wake Island. It's only 2.85 square miles and already controlled by the Fedcoats. I say it's a reasonable, temporary compromise between those who want to eliminate government purchasing entirely and those who want to limit the government to things produced inside the US. It could be promoted as the Wake Island Stimulus Program.

I am in favor of something like this - but ONLY for government. Government should have to abide by rules the rest of us do not. I don't really think the US Gov 'buying American' will make any kind of real difference, it's more about any excuse to chain government down and put them under the control of the people. Also, if there were going to be any sort of protectionist economic stimuli stuff, this has to be one of the more harmless ones.
    and you realize that this logic is the Keyesian utopia the Left etc...uses to push thier programs?

This is the wrong question to ask. It should be "Should the US Government buy anything?" The answer is no. They should ask for donations. (the IRS already has a mechanism for "patriotic donations") In reality, the government doesn't buy anything (at least not at this point in time)-they use credit, with citizens and holders of US debt paying for it.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to heavenlyboy34 again.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

ding ding ding we have a winnah!
    Or they could just raise taxes and inflate more.

I need some clarification on this Gunny, something is getting lost in translation.

and you realize that this logic is the Keyesian utopia the Left etc...uses to push thier programs?
    LOL

"I want to restrain government"

"YOU fiat-currency broken window Keynesian you!!!11!"

still just as illogical. Still just as emotional.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I need some clarification on this Gunny, something is getting lost in translation.
    Apparently it is.

But why should I answer you -- you've accused me of wanting to murder children against their will in a war. You have accused me of being a Keynesian. So anything I say, no matter how benign, I am convinced you are just going to twist it into the next monstrosity that pops into your head.

From where I sit, why should I help you imagine weird crimes against me that I have never committed?

What's next, I quote a line from the Constitution and you accuse me of being a pedophile?

How about take a step back and reassess what's happening here and try starting fresh?

Or they could just raise taxes and inflate more.
    thus pissing off and waking up another 10% or so of America and making them angry and extremely vulnerable to our political influence.

Sounds worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch150 View Post
    Good point. We should start by mandating that the US government can only buy products made start to finish entirely on Wake Island. It's only 2.85 square miles and already controlled by the Fedcoats. I say it's a reasonable, temporary compromise between those who want to eliminate government purchasing entirely and those who want to limit the government to things produced inside the US. It could be promoted as the Wake Island Stimulus Program.
    Works for me
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

LOL

"I want to restrain government"

"YOU fiat-currency broken window Keynesian you!!!11!"

still just as illogical. Still just as emotional.
    yes, but I'm allowed to be emotional because at least I picked the right ideology to be mad about!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast