Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the US Government Buy Only US Made Products?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should the US Government Buy Only US Made Products?

Its a simple question. Why or Why Not?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If we are the government and we say they should buy only from us, then they should only buy from us.

We are suppose to have a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. However instead we have a government of the people, by the elite, and for the elite.
    Last edited by RickyJ; 02-03-2013 at 03:41 AM.

I am in favor of something like this - but ONLY for government. Government should have to abide by rules the rest of us do not. I don't really think the US Gov 'buying American' will make any kind of real difference, it's more about any excuse to chain government down and put them under the control of the people. Also, if there were going to be any sort of protectionist economic stimuli stuff, this has to be one of the more harmless ones.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I am in favor of something like this - but ONLY for government. Government should have to abide by rules the rest of us do not. I don't really think the US Gov 'buying American' will make any kind of real difference, it's more about any excuse to chain government down and put them under the control of the people. Also, if there were going to be any sort of protectionist economic stimuli stuff, this has to be one of the more harmless ones.
    Agree with this.
    "You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness." -- Ronald Reagan, 1964

What if these companies/corporations overprice items and services? What if the quality is not comaparable to others? This reeks of abuse and fraud. So, since corporations are people now they could contribute to a campaign which would favor thier company. This already happens I'm sure, what with lobbyist and campaign contributions. Not to mention it decreases competition in the market because government decides which companies or corporations to do business with. Again, probably those who line the pockets of government officals. I would also imagine the public service unions would back this idea right? you need to use the products or services of our union which forms the government or they go on strike and nothing gets done. I remember articles about the government purchasing $500 toilet seats.
    http://www.publictechnology.net/sect...aste-part-ii-0

Bad idea...

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    What if these companies/corporations overprice items and services? What if the quality is not comaparable to others? This reeks of abuse and fraud. So, since corporations are people now they could contribute to a campaign which would favor thier company. This already happens I'm sure, what with lobbyist and campaign contributions. Not to mention it decreases competition in the market because government decides which companies or corporations to do business with. Again, probably those who line the pockets of government officals. I would also imagine the public service unions would back this idea right? you need to use the products or services of our union which forms the government or they go on strike and nothing gets done. I remember articles about the government purchasing $500 toilet seats.
    http://www.publictechnology.net/sect...aste-part-ii-0

Bad idea...

I don't care, it's government. The more of it we kill, the better off we are. Full stop. I'd be all-in with a law that made elected officials eat cockroaches just to make people not want the fn job.

I don't care, it's government. The more of it we kill, the better off we are. Full stop. I'd be all-in with a law that made elected officials eat cockroaches just to make people not want the fn job.
    If the end justifies the means, I surmise that you would support a draft for both men and women between the ages of 18-30 and send them off to fight in the hopes of ending war.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

If the end justifies the means, I surmise that you would support a draft for both men and women between the ages of 18-30 and send them off to fight in the hopes of ending war.

Wait, you are saying because I want to restrict government, means I want to force kids to go to war?

Do you even read what you write? o.O

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Makes sense to me
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

and you realize that this logic is the Keyesian utopia the Left etc...uses to push thier programs?

and you realize that this logic is the Keyesian utopia the Left etc...uses to push thier programs?
    LOL

"I want to restrain government"

"YOU fiat-currency broken window Keynesian you!!!11!"

still just as illogical. Still just as emotional.

LOL

"I want to restrain government"

"YOU fiat-currency broken window Keynesian you!!!11!"

still just as illogical. Still just as emotional.
    yes, but I'm allowed to be emotional because at least I picked the right ideology to be mad about!

I need some clarification on this Gunny, something is getting lost in translation.

I need some clarification on this Gunny, something is getting lost in translation.
    Apparently it is.

But why should I answer you -- you've accused me of wanting to murder children against their will in a war. You have accused me of being a Keynesian. So anything I say, no matter how benign, I am convinced you are just going to twist it into the next monstrosity that pops into your head.

From where I sit, why should I help you imagine weird crimes against me that I have never committed?

What's next, I quote a line from the Constitution and you accuse me of being a pedophile?

How about take a step back and reassess what's happening here and try starting fresh?

Apparently it is.

But why should I answer you -- you've accused me of wanting to murder children against their will in a war. You have accused me of being a Keynesian. So anything I say, no matter how benign, I am convinced you are just going to twist it into the next monstrosity that pops into your head.

From where I sit, why should I help you imagine weird crimes against me that I have never committed?

What's next, I quote a line from the Constitution and you accuse me of being a pedophile?

How about take a step back and reassess what's happening here and try starting fresh?
    From your past posting I presumed you agree with the idea that the US should buy USA made only. However, I disagree. It's my belief that it only leads to nepotism and fraud within and between governement and coporations (see $500 toilet seat link I posted). It would ultimately lead to a self serving ever expanding perpetual cycle of bigger and bigger government. This im sure would be accomplished through the printing press by The FED borrowed on the backs of future generations with inflated currency.

You stated you didn't care as long as government gets smaller or eliminated, I couldn't agree more. I think we are trying to accomplish the same ideal. I think you would support the idea because in the end it would hasten the government demise. It would collapse under it's weight. Whereas I would not want to support that notion beliving that it's not feasible.

If, we choose your path and hasten the demise through government sponserships of coporations and business then, we may as well pull out all the stops and go for broke. The end thus justifies means. Meaning, we support everything that supports government including the military industrial complex and all that entails. Yes, even a draft, and yes sending people off to die. because in the end it hepls the government go broke and becomes eliminated. After all, made in the USA includes all those ships, planes and bombs were so good at making.

This in my mind becomes Keyesian as government spends and decides what, where, when and how all this money gets spent. A lefty idea wouldn't you agree?

I hope this is some sort of clarification but please elaborate more on your thoughts.
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 02-04-2013 at 12:35 AM.

From your past posting I presumed you agree with the idea that the US should buy USA made only. However, I disagree. It's my belief that it only leads to nepotism and fraud within and between governement and coporations (see $500 toilet seat link I posted). It would ultimately lead to a self serving ever expanding perpetual cycle of bigger and bigger government. This im sure would be accomplished through the printing press by The FED borrowed on the backs of future generations with inflated currency.

You stated you didn't care as long as government gets smaller or eliminated, I couldn't agree more. I think we are trying to accomplish the same ideal. I think you would support the idea because in the end it would hasten the government demise. It would collapse under it's weight. Whereas I would not want to support that notion beliving that it's not feasible.

If, we choose your path and hasten the demise through government sponserships of coporations and business then, we may as well pull out all the stops and go for broke. The end thus justifies means. Meaning, we support everything that supports government including the military industrial complex and all that entails. Yes, even a draft, and yes sending people off to die. because in the end it hepls the government go broke and becomes eliminated. After all, made in the USA includes all those ships, planes and bombs were so good at making.

This in my mind becomes Keyesian as government spends and decides what, where, when and how all this money gets spent. A lefty idea wouldn't you agree?

I hope this is some sort of clarification but please elaborate more on your thoughts.
    the $300 toilet seat isn't a vendor issue, it's how they fund off-the-books operations. offshoring that vendor isn't going to change the way they populate slush funds for off the books operations.

I said that I am OK with civilians having the authority to arbitrarily restricting government.

you are STILL trying to push that this necessarily means I want to enslave children and send them off to die in a war. you are STILL trying to push that I'm a liberal big-government whack-job inflating fiat currency.

Deciding where and how to spend money isn't Keynesianism. Keynesianism is a very specific (and wrong) economic philosophy involving fiat currency, deficit spending, and the 'broken window' fallacy. You can be a Keynesian and agree with restricting government, or you can be an Austrian and agree with restricting government. You can't just call anyone you disagree with economically a Keynesian anymore that you can just call anyone you disagree with militarily a Neocon.

You still appear to have taken some emotional disagreement and are desperately reaching out for any 'sin' you can possibly apply and flinging them at me in rapid succession hoping that one sticks.

That's not even treatment I would give monsters like Obama and Romney. So why are you doing it to me?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes
    1. They break less
    2. It'd be government waste that at least helps keep people employed
    3. The problem would be further solved if the US took protectionary measures for our manufacturers, and logically eased some pollution laws. I don't like pollution and poisoning waterways but it isn't like the Chinese-made equivalent is made the "green way"

Quote Originally Posted by KrokHead View Post
    Yes
    1. They break less
    they don't break less just because they're made in US. They break less because either they cost more to make, have pressure to make quality products from regulation or market or lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post

Its a simple question. Why or Why Not?
    yes, because keeping money flowing domestically will keep American jobs, prop up high wages, preserve consumer prices, decrease trade debt and increase inflation, that's exactly what we want.

Define "US-made," since most of the products you are thinking of are either made with foreign materials, assembled from parts made overseas, managed by companies based overseas, manufactured using foreign-made machines, or overseen using computers/tablets from foreign companies.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Define "US-made," since most of the products you are thinking of are either made with foreign materials, assembled from parts made overseas, managed by companies based overseas, manufactured using foreign-made machines, or overseen using computers/tablets from foreign companies.
    How about, at least assembly and packaging has to be done in US?

Quote Originally Posted by Tpoints View Post
    How about, at least assembly and packaging has to be done in US?
    That's all that's required to get the cute little sticker that says "Made in the USA" right now.

Pretty meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    That's all that's required to get the cute little sticker that says "Made in the USA" right now.

Pretty meaningless.
    but better than nothing.

Yes they should. They are using our tax dollars and if they are going to extract our money by force, it damn sure should stay in the country.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Yes they should. They are using our tax dollars and if they are going to extract our money by force, it damn sure should stay in the country.
    what happens when government spends money domestically? (hint : the same thing that happens when government prints money or gives back tax returns or stops fighting wars)

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Dollars can only be spent in the U.S. so in the end it evens out.

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post
    Dollars are accepted as legal tender in numerous places in the world. In some places you'll use more or less dollars than the local accepted currencies because of exchange rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Dollars are accepted as legal tender in numerous places in the world. In some places you'll use more or less dollars than the local accepted currencies because of exchange rates.
    I did forget about that. Still, they will make their way back to the U.S. probably. If not, the extra cost of the products will cost us money anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post
    It is irrelevant. Pieces of paper does not mean wealth. We could ship our dollars overseas and they could burn it for all I care. It would actually make us wealthier as a nation if they did.

The government shouldn't be buying any products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast