Thread: Christian Church denied participation in the "Wounded Warrior" program.

Exclamation Christian Church denied participation in the "Wounded Warrior" program.

Good...maybe they learned a valuable lesson.

Church Says Wounded Warrior Project Refused Their Money

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...om-church.html

By Todd Starnes

A Christian church and school in Florida are devastated after they said Wounded Warrior Project refused to accept their fund raising effort because it was “religious in nature.”

“We were heartbroken,” said Wallace Cooley, pastor of Liberty Baptist Church and Academy in Fort Pierce, Fla.

Cooley said they had already paid a $100 registration fee to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project and were about to launch the campaign when they received an email from the organization.

The church had planned on taking up a special offering on the last Sunday in February and students were collecting money from family and friends.

“We must decline the opportunity to be the beneficiary of your event due to our fundraising event criteria, which doesn’t allow community events to be religious in nature,” read an email from the WWP community events team. “Please note your registration fee will be refunded within the next 7-10 business days.”

WWP said as a nonpartisan organization they cannot accept event fundraising from companies “in which the product or message is religious in nature.”

Pastor Cooley said they were so shocked that the school secretary called Wounded Warrior to make sure there hadn’t been a mistake. He said a WWP representative assured her that “religious” was indeed on their banned list.

“We had to tell our children and parents we can’t give to the Wounded Warrior Project,” Pastor Cooley told Fox News. “We are second-class citizens now because we are people of faith.”

A Wounded Warrior told Fox News they would look into the matter. The organization did not respond to subsequent telephone calls.

The fundraising project was a joint effort by the 400-member church and the 460 students who attend the academy. The pastor said he first learned about WWP by watching Fox News Channel.

“We appreciate the freedoms we enjoy in this country and the fact that our soldiers have fought for freedom of religion,” he said. “We teach patriotism in our school.”

The pastor said they expected to raise as much as $50,000 for the veterans.

“We are not a wealthy congregation,” he said. “But they are generous. We could tell as we began to talk to our people that it stirred their hearts.”

He said the idea of giving sacrificially to help someone else struck a chord with students in the academy.

Ted and Cherilyn Mein have two young daughters who attend the school. She said the girls were simply devastated by the news that the fundraising effort had been cancelled.

“Our school is all about patriotism,” she told Fox News. “We teach that our country was founded for religious freedom – and then to find out that we couldn’t even support the Wounded Warriors because we are Christians – it was hard to explain it to them.”

Kindergarten teacher Tanya Sue Albritton posted a note on the Wounded Warrior Project Facebook page recounting what she had to tell her class.

“They were very sad,” Albritton wrote. “One little girl wanted to know, ‘Why can’t we share with the soldiers?’”

“I was at a loss as to what I should tell her because I don’t understand it myself,” she wrote. “Well, WWP, why can’t we share with the soldiers?”

Cooley broke the news to his congregation in what he called “one of the saddest letters I have ever had to write.”

“We are very disappointed that we, as a religious organization, are being discriminated against,” he wrote to parents. “But they are a private organization and have and should have the freedom to make their own rules.”

On the flip side, the pastor told parents that “we also have the right to make our choice as to where our support goes.”

Becky Sharp teaches sixth grade at Liberty Baptist Academy. She posted a message on the Wounded Warrior Facebook page noting here extreme disappointment. She said her students had already raised $400 – many of the boys and girls donated their lunch money.

“I am deeply disappointed that an organization such as yours would reject money from American citizens who want to thank their soldiers for what they have done,” she wrote.

Parents like the Meins are now struggling with how to explain to their children what happened.

“I can’t say that I’ve found a good way to explain it to my children yet,” she said.

The pastor said they have already returned donations that had been collected and will be looking for another veterans group to help.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Military Organization Rebuffs Church

Posted by Laurence Vance on February 2, 2013 08:25 AM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...es/131716.html

A church and school in Florida are devastated after they said the Wounded Warrior Project refused to accept their fund raising effort because it was "religious in nature." "We were heartbroken," said the pastor, who said the church had already paid a $100 registration fee to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project and were about to launch the campaign when they received an email from the organization.

Hey pastor and church: Next time try raising funds to send missionaries to Muslim countries instead of soldiers who come back as wounded warriors.

Re: Military Organization Rebuffs Church

Posted by Bill Anderson on February 2, 2013 01:24 PM

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...es/131723.html

Laurence, I believe that the best thing that can happen to churches is that the U.S. Armed Forces demonstrate the same hostility toward Christianity that the rest of the government now is showing. The only thing that can break what you correctly call idolatry and outright apostasy is for conservative evangelicals to have the military representatives make it absolutely known to them that Christians, their churches, and their chaplains are not welcome in the armed forces anymore.

Right now, evangelical chaplains are being told they must squelch their theological views or be thrown out of the armed forces and I hope that it becomes even more oppressive for them and for individual soldiers who are Christians. People need to understand that to uncritically support the U.S. military forces as being representative of God Himself is the worst kind of apostasy. Our spiritual ancestors died horrible deaths in the Roman arenas, were used as human torches for Roman parties (being burned alive), and were flogged and crucified all because they would not bow the knee to Caesar and proclaim him as a god.

Unfortunately, American evangelicals have done what their ancestors refused to do, and what has emerged is a syncretism that glorifies the very things that Jesus preached against 2,000 years ago. Yes, the members of that church are "heartbroken," but it is better to understand that the U.S. Armed Forces no longer are a force for good -- if they ever were in the first place. While it has taken a liberal Democrat to finally mold the armed forces into an entity that publicly rejects Christianity, we must remember that all President Obama has done nothing more than expose an idol for what it always has been. While Obama may believe he is striking a blow against American Christians, he really is doing them a favor.

“We must decline the opportunity to be the beneficiary of your event due to our fundraising event criteria, which doesn’t allow community events to be religious in nature,” read an email from the WWP community events team. “Please note your registration fee will be refunded within the next 7-10 business days.”

WWP said as a nonpartisan organization they cannot accept event fundraising from companies “in which the product or message is religious in nature.”
    Is this a Wounded Warriors position or a Government edict?

The article does not make this clear.

Well , I am sure the congregation can give individually .

government refusing money?! impossibruu

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mmfmj View Post
    government refusing money?! impossibruu
    Not the Govt. , a Foundation.

The Govt would just steal it , they care not who you pray too ...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Comment from PuffHo on the Chris Kyle murder.

In response to "live by the sword, die by the sword". (Romans 13:1-5) The military and law enforcement are God's avenging angels. Read it, its very enlightening.Thank God for the brave who fight for the free. God bless America.
    Too bad they don't think so...huh?

“We appreciate the freedoms we enjoy in this country . . ."
    WTF?
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

I gave a few times to the WWP, but they got so over-the-top with junk mail that I finally quit. And now this. Too bad those guys' great idea has been turned into some huge organization with idiotic policies.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    WTF?
    I know...freedoms.

Good to see that they have all the money they need. I can divert those funds to the local charities.

"to find out that we couldn’t even support the Wounded Warriors because we are Christians"

Bollocks! Every one of them can give individually as much as they want. Now because WWP refuses to take collective donations from certain groups due to potential controversy, these people translate that into "Christians aren't allowed to give" ??

As a devout Christian myself, I find the attitude of some of these church members reprehensible. Let me guess, how much you want to bet their church is a 501(c)3 ?