Thread: Rand Paul introduces national right-to-work bill

Rand Paul introduces national right-to-work bill

Senator Rand Paul introduces national right-to-work bill

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., introduced S. 204 Thursday, a bill to create a national right-to-work law. The bill “would preserve and protect the free choice of individual employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, or to refrain from such activities.” In other words, the law would give workers across the nation the option to not join a union or pay dues to one even if their workplace was organized. Currently only 24 states allow workers to do that.

The bill has 10 Republican co-sponsors. They are clearly hoping to build on the momentum of Michigan and Indiana recently becoming right-to-work.

In a statement emailed to reporters, Mark Mix, president of the National Right to Work Committee, said: “We’re extremely pleased that Senator Paul has introduced the National Right to Work Act, intensifying a growing debate about labor law and worker freedom in our country.”

But several similar bills have been introduced in Congress in recent years and have gained no traction. Paul’s bill is unlikely to get anywhere under Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev. Which is ironic since Reid’s home state of Nevada is itself right-to-work.
    I love Rand.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope it only undoes the federal labor laws, and doesn't compel the states.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    The text isn't available on Thomas.loc.gov yet, but it does have 10 co-sponsors listed:

Sen Barrasso, John [WY] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Burr, Richard [NC] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Chambliss, Saxby [GA] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Coburn, Tom [OK] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Heller, Dean [NV] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Inhofe, James M. [OK] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Lee, Mike [UT] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Risch, James E. [ID] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Rubio, Marco [FL] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Vitter, David [LA] - 1/31/2013

Sen Barrasso, John [WY] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Burr, Richard [NC] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Chambliss, Saxby [GA] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Coburn, Tom [OK] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Heller, Dean [NV] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Inhofe, James M. [OK] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Lee, Mike [UT] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Risch, James E. [ID] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Rubio, Marco [FL] - 1/31/2013
    Sen Vitter, David [LA] - 1/31/2013
    Good ol "me too" Rubio.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    Good ol "me too" Rubio.
    That's just what I was thinking.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    If it's the same as his previous one, it does.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    Good ol "me too" Rubio.
    Rubio is scum. If I remember correctly, the only bills he has introduced are GOP Dream Act (quickly withdrawn), the bill to remove the tax on Olympic gold medals (insignificant), waiver on birth control mandate in Obamacare.

That's pretty pathetic considering he joined the Senate in 2010 along with Rand. Rubio thinks he is protecting himself from tea party criticism and trying to blur the lines of differentiation between him and Rand. Rand will point out how he introduced all these bills and Rubio just jumped on board. Leader vs follower. We all know how much the red meat folks love to hear about leaders and leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by whoisjohngalt View Post
    Rubio is scum. If I remember correctly, the only bills he has introduced are GOP Dream Act (quickly withdrawn), the bill to remove the tax on Olympic gold medals (insignificant), waiver on birth control mandate in Obamacare.

That's pretty pathetic considering he joined the Senate in 2010 along with Rand. Rubio thinks he is protecting himself from tea party criticism and trying to blur the lines of differentiation between him and Rand. Rand will point out how he introduced all these bills and Rubio just jumped on board. Leader vs follower. We all know how much the red meat folks love to hear about leaders and leadership.
    He hasn't introduced a single bill this Congress so far.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good stuff!

Rand is showing himself to be a brilliant legislator, by introducing bills that not only steer the debate in a new direction but are filled with ideas and principles that are easily accepted by the majority of Americans.

Rubio is not interested in legislation. That would require him to take a position on something.

Can someone find a list of all the legislation Rand has introduced?

Nevermind, here it is:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...sponsor=412492

Here is Rubio's for comparison:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...sponsor=412491

58 Rand vs 28 Rubio

Not that number is all that significant. If you compare the quality of the bills, it's laughable.
    What a statesmen Rubio is! With bills like "S.Res. 236 (112th): A resolution designating September 2011 as National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month" he will assuredly usher in a new age of freedom from tyranny.
    Last edited by whoisjohngalt; 02-01-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whoisjohngalt View Post
    Can someone find a list of all the legislation Rand has introduced?
    Go to http://thomas.loc.gov and you can search by his name.

press release:

Sen. Paul Introduces National Right to Work Act

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Sen. Rand Paul this week introduced the National Right to Work Act, S. 204, which seeks to preserve and protect the free choice of individual employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, or to refrain from such activities.

“Every American worker deserves the right to freedom of association – and I am concerned that the 26 states that allow forced union membership and dues infringes on these workers’ rights,” Sen. Paul said. “Right to work laws ensure that all Americans are given the choice to refrain from joining or paying dues to a union as a condition for employment. Nearly 80 percent of all Americans support the principles and so I have introduced a national Right to Work Act that will require all states to give their workers the freedom to choose.”

Sen. Paul’s Right to Work Act does not add a single word to existing federal law, it simply deletes forced unionism provisions in federal law.

Due to six infringing and freedom-crushing provisions in the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) and the Railway Labor Act (RLA), there are currently 8 million working Americans who are required by law to pay union dues. These workers are not required to join a workers union but they are required to pay the dues; and if workers refuse to pay these union fees, they risk losing their jobs to Big Labor.

Below is text of Sen. Paul’s legislation:

S.204
    A bill to preserve and protect the free choice of individual employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, or to refrain from such activities.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
    This Act may be cited as the ‘‘National Right-to-Work Act’’.

SEC. 2. AMENDMENTS TO THE NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS ACT.

(a) RIGHTS OF EMPLOYEES.—Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act (29 U.S.C. 157) is amended by striking ‘‘except to’’ and all that follows through ‘‘authorized in section 8(a)(3)’’.

(b) UNFAIR LABOR PRACTICES.—Section 8 of the National Labor Relations Act (29 U.S.C. 158) is amended—

(1) in subsection (a)(3), by striking ‘‘: Provided, That’’ and all that follows through ‘‘retaining membership’’;

(2) in subsection (b)—

(A) in paragraph (2), by striking ‘‘or to discriminate’’ and all that follows through ‘‘retaining membership’’; and

(B) in paragraph (5), by striking ‘‘covered by an agreement authorized under subsection (a)(3) of this section’’; and

(3) in subsection (f), by striking clause (2) and redesignating clauses (3) and (4) as clauses (2) and (3), respectively.

SEC. 3. AMENDMENT TO THE RAILWAY LABOR ACT.

Section 2 of the Railway Labor Act (45 U.S.C. 152) is amended by striking paragraph Eleven.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

As you can see from my above post, it looks like it is just striking a bunch of things out of federal law.