Thread: Profits soar, while employment remains low

Profits soar, while employment remains low

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    With corporations finding their 'sweet spots' of expenditures/labor/pay vs profits Wall St is doing great, Main St not so much.

There will be no changes ( positive) in employment , this is full employment under current conditions.

Everyone celebrate! The Fed has pushed the stock market up to new highs via trillions in debt. Yippee!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Everyone celebrate! The Fed has pushed the stock market up to new highs via trillions in debt. Yippee!
    ...and the people cheered, and there was much jubilation-
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Cool. Glad we finally figured out employment lags economic growth.

Rather a vague article. Stock prices in this environment are irrelevant to economic health. And whether or not there are real profit gains depends on how you measure them. Price increases and hidden reductions in the value of products (smaller sizes etc.) can look like increased sales but really are not an increase in actual production. Additionally, companies that sell goods and services to government will show profit when they are simply first in line for newly created money and are not really producing goods and services people want and so are not really productive.

Real economic growth comes from increased production of goods and services people want. Show me those figures.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Cool. Glad we finally figured out employment lags economic growth.
    What has really been figured out is unemployment will never really go down and can only go up.

So glad to see Obombya giving those super greedy pro-free market capitalist corporations their just deserts! I feel as though we should celebrate by occupying something while fingering our parent subsidized iDevices.
    Last edited by seraphson; 03-06-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Rather a vague article. Stock prices in this environment are irrelevant to economic health. And whether or not there are real profit gains depends on how you measure them. Price increases and hidden reductions in the value of products (smaller sizes etc.) can look like increased sales but really are not an increase in actual production. Additionally, companies that sell goods and services to government will show profit when they are simply first in line for newly created money and are not really producing goods and services people want and so are not really productive.

Real economic growth comes from increased production of goods and services people want. Show me those figures.
    Stocks are a measure of perceived value of a company and what it is producing. All stocks can be representative of the overall economy since it is comprised of those companies. If investors expect a company to do better in the future, they are willing to pay more to own shares in their stocks. Stock prices reflect perceived future economy conditions. If stocks are rising, the expectation is that the economy is doing good (improrving) and will do better in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Stocks are a measure of perceived value of a company and what it is producing. All stocks can be representative of the overall economy since it is comprised of those companies. If investors expect a company to do better in the future, they are willing to pay more to own shares in their stocks. Stock prices reflect perceived future economy conditions. If stocks are rising, the expectation is that the economy is doing good (improrving) and will do better in the future.
    More or less true - in a market that is not being inflated with central bank funny money and otherwise manipulated. In this stock market, it don't mean squat.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

I agree that the market is higher than it would be without the Fed keeping interest rates so low but it would still be going up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I agree that the market is higher than it would be without the Fed keeping interest rates so low but it would still be going up.
    The Fed reported otherwise, complete with a chart showing how each round of QE was followed by an increase in the market and that if you subtracted those presumably QE-driven increases, the s&p would have been flat. Remember that?

Do you have a link for that? Thanks.