Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Broun running for Senate

Paul Broun running for Senate

Tonight was a night of surprises for anyone who attended the Georgia C.H.A.R.G.E (Citizens Helping America Restore Government Ethics) meeting in Gwinnett county. Luckily, ViralRead was on the scene with a front row seat to all the fireworks. The surprise, however, didn’t come from the keynote speaker, former Secretary of State and 2010 gubernatorial candidate Karen Handel. Moments before the meeting was underway Congressman Paul Broun (R-Athens) shocked the crowd as he walked into the room with his wife, Niki Broun, and a top-level staffer.

Jaws hit the floor as Representative Broun took the stage and began discussing the usual/current problems in Washington: Congressional gridlock, damage made to the Republican brand, as well as the lack of leadership coming from the West Wing. As the speech wound down, most folks in the audience were looking at one another, presumably thinking the same thing: Is Congressman Broun going to state his case and make his formal announcement to run to replace retiring Georgia Senator Saxby Chambliss? To everyone’s dismay, his closing statement did no such thing.

Thankfully, this isn’t where the story ended. As Congressman Broun sat down to a room full of applause followed my a short silence, Dr. Broun’s wife, Niki, stood up in front of the crowd and courageously declared that not only did her husband have her permission and support to run to be Georgia’s next junior U.S. Senator, but that he was openly announcing his candidacy, the first to formally do so in the wake of Senator Chambliss’ declaration to resign following the remainder of his current term.

Karen Handel did her best to finish the show with grace, as she herself left the door open for a potential run to replace Chambliss. However, with an expected announcement from Congressman Tom Price (R-Roswell) regarding his own entrance into the Senatorial race in the coming days, Handel may be taking a much closer look at replacing him amongst Georgia’s congressional delegation.

Other notable politicos rumored to be looking at the race include Congressman Lynn Westmoreland (R-Columbus), Congressman Jack Kingston (R-Savannah), Congressman Tom Graves (R-Ranger), and Congressman Phil Gingrey (R-Marietta).

Needless to say, it’s gonna be a fun couple years for political junkies in the state of Georgia.

http://viralread.com/2013/01/29/rep-...for-us-senate/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

good. Not my ideal guy, but I am pretty sure he's going to be the best in the bunch, by far.

The audit the Fed bill he sponsored is up to 100 cosponsors, by the way.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

The guy wants to End the Fed. I'll be donating as soon as he gets a campaign site up.

If Price runs, it might be better to just stay in the safe House seat.

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    If Price runs, it might be better to just stay in the safe House seat.
    I hope Price backs out and endorses Broun. It would really suck to have a split in the conservative vote.

I really want Broun to win the seat, but if Price runs, he will win the primary and Broun could be out of Congress altogether. How much worse is Price than Broun? I've heard that Price is actually pretty decent and much better than Chambliss.

I really want Broun to win the seat, but if Price runs, he will win the primary and Broun could be out of Congress altogether. How much worse is Price than Broun? I've heard that Price is actually pretty decent and much better than Chambliss.
    When is the primary in Broun's district and when is the Senate primary?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would assume they'd be the same day considering both will be elections in 2014, not special ones. I don't know where Broun's district is (I think rural eastern GA) but Price represents a large suburban Atlanta district to the north of the city. I was reading somewhere that most of the Republican vote is concentrated north of I-20. Price's base is essentially that area, making him a very formidable opponent should he run. Also, if that Handel woman isn't running, that kind of reduces the establishment/Atlanta base vote splitting.

How much worse is Price than Broun? I've heard that Price is actually pretty decent and much better than Chambliss.
    I kept my own scorecard of almost 100 votes from 2011. Amash and Paul scored 100 while Broun was the next highest at 86. Price scored a 60 with 46 other GOPers between Broun and Price.

I don't see why Price should win? They will both start out as congressmen who aren't very well known outside their districts.

It will come down to campaigning. Broun could run a populist campaign. I'm sure the fact that he is introducing legislation to not only audit the Fed but End The Fed will get Dr. Paul's attention and others in the liberty movement

Price's lifetime freedomworks score is 92%. I know it may be an unpopular opinion but Broun might be the only guy capable of losing it. His birther statements could actually motivate African-Americans to vote...

JBS Freedom Index Rankings for the last Congress:

Ron Paul-TX: 100%
    Walter Jones-SC: 97%
    Tom McClintock-CA: 93%
    Paul Broun-GA: 92%
    Justin Amash-MI: 92%
    Todd Akin-MO: 92%
    Jimmy Duncan-TN: 90%
    Raul Labrador-ID-89%

Also, Broun is getting a good start in the new Congress.

Rep. Paul Broun Jr. Re-Introduces Ron Paul's Previous Bills

H.R. 24: To require a full audit of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal reserve banks by the Comptroller General of the United States, and for other purposes.

H.R. 73: To abolish the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal reserve banks, to repeal the Federal Reserve Act, and for other purposes.

H.R. 75: To end membership of the United States in the United Nations.

H.R. 77: To repeal the legal tender laws, to prohibit taxation on certain coins and bullion, and to repeal superfluous sections related to coinage.

H.R. 23: To provide that human life shall be deemed to begin with fertilization.

Heck yeah Paul Broun!
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    I kept my own scorecard of almost 100 votes from 2011. Amash and Paul scored 100 while Broun was the next highest at 86. Price scored a 60 with 46 other GOPers between Broun and Price.
    Could I see your scorecard?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpreadOfLiberty View Post

Now that I see this, it's a shame he opened his mouth...Why did people here not like him? Chances are if you get 92% from JBS you're doing something right.

Now that I see this, it's a shame he opened his mouth...Why did people here not like him? Chances are if you get 92% from JBS you're doing something right.
    He also missed a lot of votes because he running.

He would be have been pretty good I guess, but John Brunner was the candidate with liberty connections.

He also missed a lot of votes because he running.

He would be have been pretty good I guess, but John Brunner was the candidate with liberty connections.
    Yeah, that's who Rand endorsed I believed. Then Palin came in for Steelman and McCaskill came in for Akin...lol

YES! I really hope that his campaign gets a good start before the others jump in.

Ron Paul-TX: 100%
    Walter Jones-SC: 97%
    Tom McClintock-CA: 93%
    Paul Broun-GA: 92%
    Justin Amash-MI: 92%
    Jimmy Duncan-TN: 90%
    Raul Labrador-ID-89%

Also, Broun is getting a good start in the new Congress.

Rep. Paul Broun Jr. Re-Introduces Ron Paul's Previous Bills

H.R. 24: To require a full audit of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal reserve banks by the Comptroller General of the United States, and for other purposes.

H.R. 73: To abolish the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal reserve banks, to repeal the Federal Reserve Act, and for other purposes.

H.R. 75: To end membership of the United States in the United Nations.

H.R. 77: To repeal the legal tender laws, to prohibit taxation on certain coins and bullion, and to repeal superfluous sections related to coinage.

H.R. 23: To provide that human life shall be deemed to begin with fertilization.
    Looks like my legislative wet dream.

Hopefully he can clear the field, or at least reduce it by half. The good news is that it seems no Democrats are interested.

Broun has a lot of work to do. Let's get behind him!

The good news he will have a base in his district and because he's a congressman should be able to land endorsements but he'll still need to travel the state and put the hard work in speaking to lots of small crowds, shaking hands and connecting with voters. I hope he's up for it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The other thing is Audit the Fed will help his campaign since he's the lead sponsor and it should pass the house again later this year.

He can then run on it using it in his campaign and demand Reid brings it up as a vote in the Senate.

He will get a lot of attention on a populist anti-Fed platform.

Nice... Does he have to give up his seat in congress since he will be on the ballot for the senate?

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    Nice... Does he have to give up his seat in congress since he will be on the ballot for the senate?
    I think so, unfortunately. But I think he wins.

This is why the other congressmen might not run... they won't want to risk losing their seat.

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    This is why the other congressmen might not run... they won't want to risk losing their seat.
    This probably weighing heavy on Price with all of his leadership positions. Kingston on the other hand has been around forever and is not going anywhere, so he may run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast