Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preston Bates was a Democrat who worked for Jack Conway

Preston Bates was a Democrat who worked for Jack Conway

This is extraordinary.

The Liberty for All director Preston Bates was a Democrat until 2010 and worked for Jack Conway, Rand Paul's opponent in the Kentucky Senate race.

No wonder he seems so interested in a pathetic, long shot bid to unseat Mitch McConnell.

He is trying to forment division within Tea party ranks in Kentucky and to find a candidate against McConnell, which is really silly considering how much it would cost and the fact that NO ONE decent is going to take a year out of their life to run against the Senate Republican leader.

Not surprisingly, liberal activists and Democrats (maybe some of Preston's old buddies?) are jumping on the bandwagon.

POLITICO has a report on how Democrats and liberal activists are promosing to help in a contested GOP primary, just like they did in Missouri when they boosted Todd Akin running ads and calling him the most conservative candidate.

-
    Preston Bates, is a former Democratic operative who worked for Jack Conway, the Democratic candidate who lost to Rand Paul in 2010.

Bates said he left the Democratic Party in 2010, adding that while he personally identifies more with his former party, his year-old group puts money behind viable small government and libertarian-minded conservatives.

“Generally, what we need is to stop electing Republicans that are out of touch with most general election voters,” Bates said
    -

Full article here:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...ell-86787.html

Really, Preston Bates if he wasn't a former Democrat with Kentucky roots and really someone interested in advancing liberty would be looking for candidates for OPEN seats in West Virginia, Iowa and Georgia.

Instead he wants to spend Ramsey's inheritance and Liberty for All donors money taking out McConnell.

Utterly ridiculous.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's strange to find McConnell defenders on rpf.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    It's strange to find McConnell defenders on rpf.
    I dislike him but trying to take him out is a waste of time, money and energy when there are open seats in West Virginia, Iowa and Georgia RIPE for picking.

Bates is only interested because he has Kentucky roots and was a former Democrat, he has a beef with McConnell and is trying to give false hope to Tea party activists in Kentucky.

Democrats and liberal activists are delighted at the prospect of a contested primary, why is that I wonder?

From Liberty for All Website:

"Preston Bates, Co-Founder and Executive Director
    Preston has worked on more than 150 races–advancing a pro-freedom agenda since 2005. Enamored with campaigning, Preston has paved a path as an earned media consultant, spreading liberty and freedom for local, statewide, and federal candidates, PACs, and non-profit organizations."

150 races advancing pro-freedom since 2005? If it's true that he was a Democrat until 2010, then I'd like to know which Democrats are pro-freedom. Regardless, Liberty For All scored a lot of points for us by backing what looks to be legit liberty candidates. Maybe they should change this guy's bio so they don't lose people's trust.

I agree that trying to knock off McConnel is a waste of resources. That money is better spent on state racers for candidates who support nullification.
    Last edited by XPhobic76; 01-28-2013 at 08:18 AM.

I agree that primarying Mitch is a waste of money. It's just a bad idea... I mean 30% against Mitch would be pretty significant, but it's not even close to winning.

This whole deal about Bates is up to John; not bystanders.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by XPhobic76 View Post
    From Liberty for All Website:

"Preston Bates, Co-Founder and Executive Director
    Preston has worked on more than 150 races–advancing a pro-freedom agenda since 2005. Enamored with campaigning, Preston has paved a path as an earned media consultant, spreading liberty and freedom for local, statewide, and federal candidates, PACs, and non-profit organizations."

150 races advancing pro-freedom since 2005? If it's true that he was a Democrat until 2010, then I'd like to know which Democrats are pro-freedom. Regardless, Liberty For All scored a lot of points for us by backing what looks to be legit liberty candidates. Maybe they should change this guy's bio so they don't lose people's trust.

I agree that trying to knock off McConnel is a waste of resources. That money is better spent on state racers for candidates who support nullification.
    An interesting find.

If he was a former Democrat who "saw the light" in 2010 and wants to advance liberty he would be looking for candidates in Iowa, WV and Georgia.

In those states just $500k would boost a primary challenger massively, establish their credibility and allow them to become more well known.

Trying to take out Mitch McConnell by contrast would cost MILLIONS, Mitch himself has 8 MILLION in the bank and he hasn't even started yet. He's also backed by Massie and Rand Paul because he's working with them and helping them.

For example, it was probably McConnell who put Rand on the Senate Foreign Relations committee without which we would not have had those two epic episodes of him questioning Clinton and Kerry this past week.

This is like taking on Boehner or Pelosi in a primary of general election, complete waste of time.

If Preston Bates wants to take someone out in Kentucky then they should target Hal Rogers, who is voting for the pork laden Sandy relief bill and numerous other terrible things. Even that's difficult enough.
    Last edited by itshappening; 01-28-2013 at 08:52 AM.

They just embellished the guy's bio to appeal to liberty donors. The liberty movement is filled with people who we democrats untill recently. I don't think we need to look for grand conspiracies, especially when Liberty for All seems to have done some good work. Whether going after McConnel is a bad idea is a legit debate though. I am convinced that the movement can grow the most by focusing on state races.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We are all aware of this. About the Mitch thing, when Benton joined the campaign, that ship sailed, IMO. There might be 100s of races in NH and 100s more throughout the country that interest liberty lovers, better to pick some of those races than challenge the 2nd most powerful man in the US Senate
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by XPhobic76 View Post
    They just embellished the guy's bio to appeal to liberty donors. The liberty movement is filled with people who we democrats untill recently. I don't think we need to look for grand conspiracies, especially when Liberty for All seems to have done some good work. Whether going after McConnel is a bad idea is a legit debate though. I am convinced that the movement can grow the most by focusing on state races.
    Embellished bios repel me.

And agreed that John Ramsey has been outstanding in helping to elect better people to Congress.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

This was one of Marcus Carey's complaints. It's "Democrats" who are supporting Thomas, so we "Republicans" need to stand against these "liberal" super pacs and "liberal" Thomas Massie. But maybe the truth is that Preston Bates was/is young and when he worked for a Democrat, he might have still been finding his identity. I don't know. Liberty For All has backed real liberty candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Embellished bios repel me.

And agreed that John Ramsey has been outstanding in helping to elect better people to Congress.
    Yes and he should continue that and put smaller amounts of money in winnable races as I've said a few hundred k goes a long way in WV, Iowa and Georgia as opposed to taking on McConnell, it makes no sense whatsoever.

If someone in Kentucky needs to go it's Hal Rogers, he is a disgrace and is far removed from his constituents when he votes for all these big spending bills.

Is it me, or is the irony of someone who bashes "purists" regularly in regards to Rand Paul then turning around and bashing someone else for their lack of Republican purity delicious?

McConnell is one of the head goons in government, he needs to be opposed. Whether Rand Paul is wrapping his arms around him or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

This is sure an expensive way for him to cause a split. how much again did he put behind Massie, kerry, etc? Not Ron, now that you mention it.....

Regardless, I agree McConnell needs to be opposed.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    This is sure an expensive way for him to cause a split. how much again did he put behind Massie, kerry, etc? Not Ron, now that you mention it.....

Regardless, I agree McConnell needs to be opposed.
    He put zero of his money behind any of those people. He was paid a lot of money by his boss to help those people.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Great find.+Rep.
    It is their money and they are free to flush their own money down the toilet.I hope others will actually donate their time,energy and money to races that at least have some tiny chance of being successful.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ramsey's fortune must be a lot bigger than I thought if he's going to allow some of it to be wasted on Mitch, exp when no articulate challengers have come out not to mention Rand and TMass on the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Ramsey's fortune must be a lot bigger than I thought if he's going to allow some of it to be wasted on Mitch, exp when no articulate challengers have come out not to mention Rand and TMass on the sidelines.
    Rand isn't on the sidelines, he's actively supporting and fundraising for McConnell.
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Rand isn't on the sidelines, he's actively supporting and fundraising for McConnell.
    I'm curious FTA, where was your praise for Thomas Massie when he voted against the Iran resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    We still don't know if money will be spent on this. Maybe no 1/2 way decent candidates will show up and this will all be talk. Sometimes talk like this might even be useful.

And why do you think that is? It's McConnell who put him on the Foreign Relations Committee and because of that we had him roasting Clinton and Kerry.

Do you see how this works now?

You scratch my back and...

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    I'm curious FTA, where was your praise for Thomas Massie when he voted against the Iran resolution?
    When was the vote taken? Was it an NDAA amendment?

When was the vote taken? Was it an NDAA amendment?
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ran-resolution

I missed that thread, but do recall seeing that vote before (possibly from Amash's feed). It's encouraging. I hope Massie will take the reins on bringing a non-interventionist voting record and message to his constituents in Kentucky.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I missed that thread, but do recall seeing that vote before (possibly from Amash's feed). It's encouraging. I hope Massie will take the reins on bringing a non-interventionist voting record and message to his constituents in Kentucky.
    Me too. I had to give props to Massie for this one. It was a courageous vote for the 4 th District.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Me too. I had to give props to Massie for this one. It was a courageous vote for the 4 th District.
    Hopefully he and Amash can push each other to be more non-interventionist than the other. Seems like it works the other way around in DC, usually, so here's to optimism, eh?

Preston Bates, is a former Democratic operative who worked for Jack Conway, the Democratic candidate who lost to Rand Paul in 2010.

Bates said he left the Democratic Party in 2010...
    This is not clear, and may be deceptive. It does not specify when Bates worked for Conway. Was it before Conway was running against Rand?

The relevant question is "was Bates for or against Rand in 2010"?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    This is not clear, and may be deceptive. It does not specify when Bates worked for Conway. Was it before Conway was running against Rand?

The relevant question is "was Bates for or against Rand in 2010"?

No, the relevant question, is "Where does his heart sincerely lie, NOW?"

But I agree the other would warrant an explanation. Ron's run reached a lot of new people in 2012, though.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I did New Years in New Hampshire with Ron's campaign and worked alongside Preston for 2 weeks. He was one of the hardest working volunteers that Ron had. He knows his stuff and understands liberty. He is an ally. I agree that sending a primary threat to Mitch is a waste of time, but I just wanted to defend Preston's character here.

lol.... Itshappening, this is just hilarious. "Preston Bates is the enemy, but Mark Levin is coming around... really!"

Ok, you convinced me. McConnell for Emperor of the Liberty Movement!
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast